Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Cooling Pads

by Cup of Joe / May 17, 2007 5:02 AM PDT

It's become apparent that I need a laptop cooling pad. Although my laptop has never crashed or shutdown due to overheating, the fan constantly blows now that summer temperatures are coming and the noise from it is a bit much (never have this problem in the winter). This thing works like a champ though, and I can take the hint to give it a breather when the fan kicks into overdrive, which it shouldn't do when I'm not gaming. What if anything in specific do I need to look for an a laptop cooling pad or are they all relatively the same? Thanks in advance for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Cooling Pads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Cooling Pads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / May 17, 2007 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Cooling Pads

Nothing special about laptop coolers other than they vary in fan amount or how they are powered. Typical cooler with be USB powered and usually 2-3 fans. Understand, the more usage by the cooler the more power it takes from the laptop if battery alone. Buy a can of compressed air and blow the laptop cooling vents or fan. Review the manual or visit the support website if such info is present and read it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If you have alot of USB devices connected
by orlbuckeye / May 18, 2007 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at...

you can get a fan that has USB slots. It's better to get one that uses an AC adapter like was stated above that if you use the laptops power it could decrease power to other USB devices. example I have a fan and a 8 port USB hub and if I connnect my printer to the hub it doesn't get enough power to print but if I plug the printer directly to the laptop I can print. I have 4 USB ports with 2 external hard drives, a mouse, the fan and printer. I don't use the ac adapter on my fan and i plug the fan, the 2 drives and my printer to the 4 ports on the computer and i use the mouse adapter at the hub and everything gets enough power.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.