Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Coolers/Cooling Pads

by shiiru / June 14, 2009 3:46 AM PDT

currently I am looking for a cooling pad for my laptop, since I use it a lot for gaming, so the gpu gets so hot that you could fry an egg on it.
Does anyone of you have experiences with those for a 17" laptop?
I use the laptop alot while having it on my lap, so I am also wondering if the fans would be working properly if put it on my lap with the pc on top and about the gel cooling pats I was wondering if they last long enough (more than just 2-3h) or if the gel slowly would move to the lower side of the pad so it wouldn't cool properly anymore.
Just today I saw a mini cooling device called Evercool Fairy Compact Pocket Size Laptop Cooler and I am wondering if that can do the job at all.
I am really looking forward to your replies.
Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Coolers/Cooling Pads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Coolers/Cooling Pads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by shiiru / June 14, 2009 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: This one?

thanks, but that's not really helping me..
i was looking for some experiences from users, not for a review that basically just says 'it looks cool'.
i would like to know the up- and down sides for all the different types of coolers (gel pads, fan coolers and mini cooler and what other types there might be)
i asked certain questions in my previous post and hope i can get answers to them and not just links, which by the way, i've seen before, and which aren't helpful at all unfortunately.
Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
by shiiru / June 14, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

how can that thingie even work properly? the surface looks arched, so how's the laptop gonna fit stable on it, specially when using on my lap?

Collapse -
Pirillo is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2009 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

A good source. Also you may have to be more specific on the model.

Collapse -
I Googled "Evercool Fairy",
by 1shado1 / June 14, 2009 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Pirillo is

And found it with no problem:

The Evercool Zither is only 6.5 inches deep, so it would only work well on a flat hard surface, as it would only be supporting (propping up) the back half of the laptop, instead of supporting the entire laptop.

The Evercool Fairy which the OP is talking about apparently attaches to the side exhaust port for the internal laptop fan. Don't know how effective it would be on someones lap if the air intake port of the lappy is blocked by sitting on someone's lap, though. But it might still help somewhat. I'd be interested in other folks experiences with it as well. Happy

Collapse -
Concave cooling pad with fan
by bluepeas / September 24, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

I haven't tried the mini cooling device, a gel cooling pad or a flat pad, but I will tell you what works for me.

I use Belkin's cooling pad for my laptop. Refer to the design:

My 15.4" laptop overhangs both sides of the cooling pad, but I still receive adequate cooling. I think that with a 17" laptop you would be fine with this product.

This pad has a concave base and fan that blows air up to convect the heat away from the base of your laptop. This only works if you do not block the fan when you set down the cooling pad. However, there is a little stand that flips out to raise your cooling pad and allow it to sit directly on a flat surface and still blow air. You can use it on your lap without this stand flipped out, which I do almost all the time, but you must take care not to block the fan; it isn't difficult to do at all, but it does take a bit of thought before it becomes second-nature.

The pad is powered by your laptop through a USB cable. If you need to set the pad down in a way which blocks the fan, you can unplug the cable and still have your laptop partially cooled. Due to the concave nature of the cooling pad, the base of your laptop will still be in contact with air, albeit still air, not moving air. You can see how your base won't heat up as much as it would if it were sitting directly on a surface. This is the best feature of this cooling pad and sets it apart from flat pads.

There are two models of this design on the market, though the first may be off the shelves. In June 2009, I bought a model where one end of the USB cable plugs into a jack on the cooling pad, while the other goes into a port on your computer. I would advise not to purchase this model should you encounter it, as the jack easily comes unglued and makes it impossible to plug the cord in unless you disassemble the cooling pad and tinker with things (which isn't hard to do, but is a pain). The newer model has a better design. (I bought the new model August 2009) There is no jack for you to plug and unplug the cord from; the connection is secured inside the cooling pad. I haven't opened it up to see how secure it is, but I have had no problems with it coming unplugged, as I did with the earlier model. This new model also plugs into your laptop with a USB cable.

I bought both models at Wal-Mart for about $25. When I bought the new model, I didn't see the old model, so maybe it has been pulled from shelves. The older model eventually stopped working due to cord damage, which may have been my fault for tinkering with it, but because of its poor design, tinkering was unfortunately necessary. I've had the new one for over a month now and had no problems.

New model's Model #: F5L001-BLK (black) or F5L001 (white)

Collapse -
Another vote for the Belkin
by thefranks5 / July 11, 2010 10:38 AM PDT

I agree with the review on the Belkin fan. I've had the Belkin curved fan for about a year. It does a great job cooling my 17" Dell Inspiron. When I shut the laptop down, it's cool, instead of hot. Cost about $20. It's noisy for about 60 seconds when you start it up, until the fan finds its center point, then quiet as can be. I use it hours and hours on end. No problems. The only downside is it has a little prop up leg at the front that occasionally folds under, but it's only occasionally and it's easy to correct... just prop it back up. I'd buy it again in a heart beat.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.