Windows 7 forum

Question

Laptop connects to wireless network but not internet?

by lowen92 / September 10, 2011 10:44 PM PDT

My laptop does not connect to the internet on the wireless networks in my flat. It will connect to the network, but will not have internet access. There are several unsecured wireless networks available run by the flat and I can't connect to the internet on any of them, whereas other members of the flats and my flatmates are able to. This suggests there is not a problem as such with the router, turning it off and on again has already been attempted. When I moved in, the man in charge of maintaining/organising etc the flats took my MAC address and allowed my laptop access. Yet I cannot connect to the internet. I went to my uni's library and connected to the internet no problem. I have tried turning off my internet security, looking at the properties of the wireless connection and attempting to edit settings (changing them back again afterwards), and nothing seems to be working. I have taken a printscreen of my network status here <a href="http://i53.tinypic.com/o6hgs7.jpg" target="_blank"><font color="#0044dc">http://i53.tinypic.com/o6hgs7.jpg</font></a> in case it sheds some light on the problem. Thanks in advance for your help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop connects to wireless network but not internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop connects to wireless network but not internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: no internet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 10, 2011 10:59 PM PDT

Does it connect elsewhere (say, any free WiFi, school, work, friends, family)?
And can you post the output of ipconfig?

Kees

Collapse -
Kees_B
by lowen92 / September 11, 2011 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: no internet

Yes, like I said it connected to the wireless at the university library.
I will post that next time I have internet access after viewing my laptop (I am using someone elses at the moment)

Collapse -
Answer
If they use WEP, it's a common issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2011 1:12 AM PDT

The machine will look connected but not work. Have someone else put in the passcode.
Bob

Collapse -
MAC
by ruggb / September 11, 2011 2:03 AM PDT

If it has never connected here, verify with the mgr that the MAC address he entered is correct.
Do an IPCONFIG in a CMD window to verify u gave him the correct # for the wireless adapter.

If u do that now it will probably show a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address, which means u are not getting an IP from the router. U should be getting a 192.168.xxx.xxx. Do u see a default gateway listed? if so it is definitely talking to the router.

MAC address blocking or lack of a key will do that. Since there is no key required it is the MAC address --- unless:

it is the W7 trick, which seems to have been fixed, so make sure u have all the updates, but this is not the symptom of that.

Collapse -
lowen92 -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2011 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: MAC

lowen92,

Sorry, did you login as a new name?

Or is this a reply to me? I can't tell.
Bob

Collapse -
ruggb
by lowen92 / September 11, 2011 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: MAC

The guy has double checked that the MAC address he entered is correct, and came to check my laptop and did the IPCONFIG thing and confirmed that I had given him the correct information.
I will take a look at the 169/192.168 addressses once I get back to my laptop, and post the results here.

Collapse -
Bob
by lowen92 / September 11, 2011 9:58 PM PDT

What do you mean have someone else put in the passcode? The guy in charge of sorting out internet was the one who entered the MAC addresss, which he has double checked was correct, and there's not really anyone else on site who would have more knowledge of the system than him. I was however considering calling in a technician or something if the problem persisted and I couldn't find a solution online.

Collapse -
The Mac address is only proven correct ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 11, 2011 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Bob

if it works, not if it's merely doublechecked.

Same for the encryption and the password. That should be the only variables that can be involved if it works at your University and not in your appartment.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees_B
by lowen92 / September 11, 2011 10:21 PM PDT

Well something isn't working, that's what I'm trying to figure out, but I am sure I supplied the correct MAC address and that it was entered correctly. So I don't think the problem is related to the MAC address or that it is necessarily not working. There isn't a password on anything either. It should be a simple procedure, in that my laptop picks up the wireless networks fine, they are at full strength, and all that is needed is to click to connect to one of the networks and hey presto, internet...but for some reason it connects only to the wireless network and does not have internet access.

Collapse -
Waiting for your ipconfig output.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 11, 2011 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Kees_B

And, of course, it should help to have a look at router management interface to see what it says about being connected to your laptop (in stead of only seen from the side of the PC). But you need the tech guy for that,

Kees

Collapse -
Kees_B
by lowen92 / September 12, 2011 1:52 AM PDT

I typed in ipconfig and this is the information that came up:
Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::180d:dac6:7e09:b0a0%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.74
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.1
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Tunnel adapter isatap.{6CF43E3D-1F03-446F-A01C-BC6C92C2BF9B}:
Tunnel adapter isatap.{D6AC1749-5751-43B3-BD14-878EF55DB3A6}:
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

I also looked up some more information which might help. My wireless network connection is "Realtek RTL8191SE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter." I looked through the contract of my flat and it says "The tenant is responsible for ensuring that their PC is compatible with a 802.11g wireless access point system." Could this be related to the problem I am having? Thanks

Collapse -
Re: ipconfig.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 12, 2011 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Kees_B

The default gateway 172.16.0.1 might be OK. That should be the IP-address of the router. Of course, I can't check that. And it seems DHCP works, because 172.16.0.74 seems an IP-address that could very well be issued by the router.
For both addresses the 172.16 is somewhat strange, but not necessary wrong, I'd say.

But the "media disconnected" doesn't look good.

May I suggest that http://www.google.com/search?q=media+disconnected+wireless might point to a solution? If not, call that tech guy for help. He can look inside the router, you can't.

Kees

Collapse -
My laptop has TWO MAC addresses.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2011 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob

Did you give them BOTH?

And again, let them type in the WEP passcode.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.