Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Laptop connection to Internet through Bluetooth phone

by vreynaud / December 21, 2004 11:59 PM PST

I have a laptop which has bluetooth, can i connect to the internet through my new bluetooth cell phone? (not purchased yet)
I am thinking of using the cell as a gateway, since cell phones allow to connect to the internet and the laptop to the cell phone through blutooth: That should be possible: I have asked and no one has been able to give me a definite answer:
Anyone has successfully done this?
Thanks for your help and reply

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop connection to Internet through Bluetooth phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop connection to Internet through Bluetooth phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've yet to see this work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2004 12:16 AM PST

Even at trade shows where they show it off.

Don't run out and buy anything until you see it working.

Collapse -
anyone remotely close?
by vreynaud / December 22, 2004 12:35 AM PST

So none of these companies have done it yet?

Collapse -
Try this
by Amishah / January 14, 2005 1:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Access works for me
by carlson_b / June 30, 2005 4:42 AM PDT

I assume the original question has been answered by now but I was trying to figure out the same thing and ran across this thread so I figured I would reply since I now have my laptop internet access working through my bluetooth phone - at a very fast speed of 115.2 KB/s at that.

I have a Motorola V330 phone with T-Mobile service and I am connecting to an IBM laptop running Windows XP Professional. Beyond the steps of making sure the two devices recognize each other which was posted earlier, I needed to set up my Bluetooth modem properties in Windows. Go to Control Panel >> Phone and Modem Options >> Modems >> Bluetooth Modem >> Properties >> Advanced. In the 'Extra Initialization Commands' field I needed to enter [at+cgdcont=1,"IP",""] - without the brackets. When I tried to connect from the Bluetooth icon on my PC I left username & password blank and then entered a Dial number of *99#.

The connection doesn't work if you are talking on the phone but otherwise it works fine for me.

Collapse -
bluetooth cellphone to PDA or laptop
by milo_wharry / August 9, 2005 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Access works for me

Are you using the optional t-mobile unlimited internet account. I would like to purchase a PDA that would connect with a cellphone using bluetooth that I could use for accessing financial pages and my broker.

Collapse -
You are the ****!!
by Jenny4309 / April 9, 2009 7:40 AM PDT

Hi, i have been trying to figure out how to make this work since i bought the Bluetooth for my laptop. I could pair the devices and it would try to connect but an error would come up. Well i was using the phone number to the phone i was trying to access the internet from, which was why i was getting an error. I tried the *99# and it worked!! Im So excited, you just made my day!!!

For all of you who said you have yet to get it to work, take my word for it, it works.

Collapse -
will windows 7 laptop bluetooth internet with AT&T Tilt
by silversurferus / January 11, 2010 2:30 AM PST

I was reading several posts about successfully connecting to internet through cell phone and was wondering if it was phone/windows specific. I'm having trouble conecting to internet through my tilt phone. Im not sure if im setting it up wrong or if its just not compatible. I did manage to get it paired up, even the phone calls ran through the laptop. But, cant connect to internet. Im gonna try that code and phone number and hope it fixes it. Anymore advice would be much appreciated. Like instructions using windows 7 to connect....thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.