Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Laptop can't connect to cable modem with ethernet cable

by carmtse / June 18, 2005 4:06 PM PDT

I signed up for cable access and they provided me with a cable modem with USB and ethernet cables.

I have:
A Sony Vaio laptop running on XP
Linksys router & card (model #WKPC54G)

The router only has an ethernet port so I am trying to connect my laptop to the modem first with the ethernet cable before I configure the router, but the laptop to modem connection doesn't work.

I tried with the USB cable and the connection works fine, but when I switch back to the ethernet, nothing happens. The lights are flashing so it appears the they can see each other, but can't connect (?)

When I look at the connection properties when the ethernet cable is plugged in, the address type says "Invalid IP address". I've clicked on the "Repair" button a few times but it either says it can't repair it or it changes to "Automatic Private Address", and there is no connection.

When I use the USB cable, the address type says "Assigned by DHCP", which I'm assuming, is what I need when the ethernet is plugged in to get a connection.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't use the ethernet cable for the modem? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop can't connect to cable modem with ethernet cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop can't connect to cable modem with ethernet cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In trying to configure....
by Michael Geist / June 18, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

a wireless router for the first time, it's best to hardwire a PC or laptop to the router via ethernet cable. You can more easily get into the routers setup program and make the proper settings. Once those settings are made, the wireless adapter can be used to connect.

The physical layout of your network should be>>>

cable modem(using ethernet cable) to routers WAN port, PCs network port (using ethernet cable) to routers LAN port.

Collapse -
I've used the ethernet cable but...
by carmtse / June 19, 2005 1:11 AM PDT

When I run the router software to configure it, it keeps saying there is no connection.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Collapse -
When using Linksys products I.....
by Michael Geist / June 19, 2005 2:01 AM PDT

1) will enter the routers setup program using the web based utility, usually 192.168.1.1 in your browsers address bar.
2) Cable connections mostly use DHCP(obtain IP automatically), DSL will use PPPoE with a user name and password provided by the ISP.
3) Check Device Manager for any disabled networking devices.
4) Look at the lights on the router for proof of connection to the PC

If none of this happens, you likely have hardware issues that need to be addressed.

Collapse -
Thanks, it seems to be working
by carmtse / June 19, 2005 3:05 AM PDT

I ended up configuring the router with BOTH USB and ethernet cables plugged in, and the router seems to work now (all the lights are on).

Am going to try to install the card now and hopefully it will work!

Thanks

Collapse -
I am not one to argue with....
by Michael Geist / June 19, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

success. Although using both USB and ethernet connections will probably end up causing problems later.

I might try disconnecting the USB cable after shutting everything down. By that I mean modem, router and PCs. Try just the ethernet alone and see what you get when you start back up.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Everything seems to be working
by carmtse / June 19, 2005 5:34 AM PDT

I configured the router with both the USB and ethernet plugged in. Had no choice as it couldn't connect just to the ethernet. It configured fine so I've unplugged the USB and just using the ethernet now and wireless is working like "normal".

Thanks

Collapse -
And don't use both rj45 and usb - choose one.
by Melati Hitam / June 18, 2005 10:39 PM PDT

In my place, when you change a device that connected to a cable modem, you have to wait for the 'lease time' to expired.

You can not just disconnect and connect different device, and hoping it get a new IP instantly.

That is one reason why we connect the cable modem to the router.

Collapse -
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM
by STGOTE / July 12, 2005 10:43 AM PDT

I HAVE A TOSHIBA LAPTOP COMPUTER WITH CABLE INTERNET.
WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET VIA ETHERNET CONNECTION ID DOES NOT WORK, BUT WHEN I USE USB IT CONNECTS FINE. WHEN I LOOK AT THE CONNECTION PROPERTIES IT SAYS "INVALID ADDRES" AND WHEN I TRY TO REPAIR, I EITHER GET A MESSAGE SAYING IT CAN'T REPAIR OR IT CHANGES TO AUTOMATIC ADDRESS BUT STILL NO CONNECTION. IT DOES NOT ASSIGN IP ADDRESS BY DHCP.

P.S.ON DETAILS THERE IS NOT DEFAULT GATEWAY OR DNS SERVER.

Collapse -
Is the keyboard failing too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2005 10:53 AM PDT

All capital letters is considered shouting and makes posts very hard to read.

Bob

Collapse -
Just try a crossover cable
by nestorb / July 13, 2005 4:37 PM PDT

Just try an RJ45 crossover cable. It solved a similar problem to me.
NB

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.