Laptops forum

Question

Laptop black screen after windows logo

by bfern25 / June 17, 2013 8:15 PM PDT

Hi guys,

Pc -hp dv7 4020sa
Os- windows 7

Basically two years ago i purchased this laptop and a few days ago the computer just shut off. When i tried turning it on i got a black screen after the windows boot logo. I tried connecting a external monitor via the vga port but same thing. I checked all the forums and found out the display drivers were the problem, i went into safe mode(worked:D) and uninstalled them and the laptop seemed to boot up fine but the display was all grainy and big. So i thought the best way to solve this would be to do a complete factory reset.

Now after the reset im getting the same problem but this time i cant even boot into safe mode because it says i have to do a "setup new computer" process in normal mode.

Please any help will be appriciated.

Thanks again

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop black screen after windows logo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop black screen after windows logo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd try restore again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

If a factory restore from restore discs fail, the machine often needs repair. One last idea. Are the BIOS settings the default and did you clean the vents with the usual canned air?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Forget one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd try restore again.

Be sure no USB devices are plugged in until the setup is complete.

Collapse -
I tried it
by bfern25 / June 18, 2013 6:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I'd try restore again.

Hi thanks for the replies. I completely formatted the hdd and installed a clean copy of windows 7 using a boot up disc. But now the computer is using default vga graphics and i cant get back to the hd ones i was using before which means i also cannot connect my laptop using hdmi.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Re: vga
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 6:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I tried it

Seems the boot up disc you used didn't contain the right driver. What does Device Manager say about the video card?

All you can do: download the correct driver from HP and install that.

Kees

Collapse -
Forget CLEAN INSTALL.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried it

Use the maker's restore media. Clean install require more work than what I see today's owners will invest. And it's possible it's not Windows 7 compatible. I have an old Vista laptop that will never run 7.
Bob

Collapse -
Worked with minor issue
by bfern25 / June 19, 2013 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Forget CLEAN INSTALL.

I just cant find the correct driver. My graphics card is the amd radeon 4200 as seen on my device manager. But i remember when i compputer used to work fine i had 2 drivers there (5400 and 4500).

Did i install the wrong drivers?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Possible
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 9:32 AM PDT

Laptops, netbooks and such can use other drivers than you find on the web. Most if not all require us to install motherboard drivers first and then drivers for that model net/lap top. These are sometimes not on the maker's web site. Here's an example where the drivers were hidden on some FTP site.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html

Owners would never find those.
Bob

Collapse -
Where
by bfern25 / June 19, 2013 7:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible

Hi, could you tell me where i can get the motherboard drivers from as they are not on the hp website.
im gonna remove all existing display drivers, use a cleaner to remove leftover files and install the one from the hp website for my laptop.

Hopefully this should work.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Re: drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Where

From the link given by Bob it seems only HP Customer Service can answer your question. Did you already ask them?

Kees

Collapse -
I'm not with HP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Where

So I can't know if they hid the drivers like they often do.

And it appears you missed a nugget. Here it is again. DRIVER INSTALL ORDER MATTERS. Again, motherboard drivers may need to be installed before a video driver. This is true for almost any system I've encountered.

More? Sure. I find a lot of folk lose months over this. After a few years of this my best advice is to use the recovery media for this laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
I think thats it.
by bfern25 / June 20, 2013 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not with HP.

Hi, i will try contacting them but are they free because the laptop is 3 years old and out of warranty. I did try installing the motherboard drivers and then the display drivers but i started getting the blank screen like before so i had to go into safe mode and take them off. Now my computer is using just default vga display drivers.

Thanks again everyone for your help

Collapse -
Restore media is free if you make it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: I think thats it.

When we get a new computer among the first steps is to create the restore media. Many of these use a restore partition. So both those are free.

Installing a clean copy of a retail Windows is, today asking a lot of everyday users. I gave an example of a chat at hp.com but it's been days so I'm wondering why you didn't try that?

If you end up ordering restore media, it costs. Not as much as a Windows license so it's a bargain.
Bob

Collapse -
Ill leave it there.
by bfern25 / June 21, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

I have found these drivers that work, but unfortunately the only thing i cant use is the hdmi port to connect to the tv.

Thanks again for all your help.

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Ill leave it there.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio-e-g-Windows-8/HP-DV7-4020sa-No-HDMI-audio/td-p/734775

Yes that points to a driver issue. Keep in mind that if you didn't use the restore media but some other OS then you often get to chat with HP what drivers and what order they need to be installed in.

-> But that's HALF the story. Today we have HELPER APPLICATIONS that add support for things like enabling video ports and more. I can't guess which it is for this model, so back to HP.

Another strong nod to restore media.
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.