TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

lamp life of a LCD

by gdunleary / October 14, 2006 11:47 AM PDT

I have a Sony Bravia KDL40S2000 HDTV and am wondering how long will my set go before I need to replace the lamps?And how expensive will they be?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lamp life of a LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lamp life of a LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About 60,000 hours.
by Coryphaeus / October 14, 2006 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: lamp life of a LCD

That's about 18 years of average use.

Collapse -
About 60,000 hours. is claimed by some!
by jcrobso / October 17, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: About 60,000 hours.

Last year I spent sometime trying to get info on this and how much it would cost to replace the lamps. Not a lot of info was out there. Lamp life info and replacement cost was not to be found.
This year some are claming 60,000 hours, but time will tell. John

Collapse -
Rarely seen LCD lamps expire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2006 10:59 PM PDT

I usually see the invertor board fail first. So far in the laptops that I've worked, zero LCD lamp failures. I'm not going to count the ones that were run over by forklift, car or children.

Bob

Collapse -
rarely
by gdunleary / October 15, 2006 12:34 AM PDT

What is the invertor board?

Collapse -
It's the board that powers the CCFL
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2006 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: rarely
Collapse -
Description of Inverter Board
by TreknologyNet / October 19, 2006 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: rarely

The CCFL tube is a very thin piece of glass tubing about 5 mm in total diameter. Early panels contained two of these, but with cost cutting and other improvements, many laptop screens have been reduced to only one tube. Some of the larger desktop panels may contain more. To date the most I have seen fitted in one panel is four, with an unused section of the board allowing for another two.

If you open up a laptop screen, you will usually find two boards. One is the logic board to drive the actual LCD panel, the other is the INVERTER. A domestic Fluoro tube in the house uses heaters at either end to start the internal excitation of gases and then runs on the mains voltage with a ''ballast'' coil to limit the current.

A COLD cathode fluoro tube requires roughly 1500 volts which is never going to come out of the battery. The inverter is a very small, high frequency circuit which drives a small step-up transformer to generate High Voltage, Low Current to excite the tube without heat. You can find this quite easily by looking for the bright yellow stickers which say "High Voltage, Do Not Touch". Again, cost cutting is the order of the day, and these circuits are usually driven by components that are the cheapest, and can only just do the job, hence their burn-out ahead of the actual tube.

Collapse -
Reply to: Rarely seen LCD lamps expire.
by jcrobso / October 18, 2006 1:17 AM PDT

True, but they can go bad. I have Viewsonic touch screen at the station that the lamps are very dim, it was made in 1998 and was taken out of service in 2003, It was in use 24/7 for 5 years, or about 44,000 hours.
Viewsionic does NOT have replacements!!! I'm on my own trying to find new lamps, Google has supplied some vendors, I now have to take it apart and measure the lamps and see if they are compatible with those that the vendors have.
It's one thing for the lamps to go bad on a $300.00 Pc monitor, but a completely different thing on a $3000.00+ LCD TV. John

Collapse -
RE: lamp life of a LCD
by RClayton / October 20, 2006 1:45 AM PDT

lamp life of a LCD
I have a Sony Bravia KDL40S2000 HDTV and am wondering how long will my set go before I need to replace the lamps?And how expensive will they be?

Hi Bob,
In referance to your answer to the above question you
refered to the Life of the LCD on a laptop and the
CCFL.
As you can see the person was referring to a 40" TV.
This brings me to ask if there is any reveliant differance between the TV aspect and the Laptop.
Also would there be a CCFL in the above mentioned TV?
Thanks,
Rick

Collapse -
2-4 year life for a Sony LCD lamp
by williamcraig5 / October 21, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

I have a Sony 60" LCD HDTV, purchased in July 2004 with a 5 year maintenance warranty. My LCD blew in early August this year. LCDs don't get dim, they blow just like a light bulb. Fortunately I have an extended warranty so my cost was nil. But the repair service said the bulb cost is arount #350 and installation would have been about $100. My wife watches a lot of TV so it is on alot. Normal use might extend your average life to 4 years, but I think the 18 year estimate is way off.

Collapse -
New Sony's come with a spare bulb.
by Dan Filice / October 21, 2006 8:28 AM PDT

I read on a review website that the new Sony XBR 1080p LCDs come with a spare bulb. It's interesting that the CNET review didn't mention this though. I guess you gotta get something for $3500+. But, it's better than nothing.

Collapse -
We're not talking about rear projection.
by ikicksnails / May 2, 2007 7:13 PM PDT

Sony's KDL model HDTVs are not like the 60 inch Sony rear projection tvs. Rear projection tv's bulbs have extremely short life spans, the flat panel TFTs do have at least a 60,000 hour lifespan (possibly more). I bought a 19.1" Sony LCD computer monitor in 2000 and I have had it on almost 24/7 since then and I am having no issues whatsoever. Too bad Sony does not make the flat Bravias in a 60 inch... Just remember this, LCDs are in fact the longest lasting technology available for HDTVs, period.

Collapse -
short life of lamp on model kdfe 42a10 sony lcd tv
by penipip / June 26, 2008 9:41 AM PDT

short life of lamp on sony modol kdfe42a10 lcd projection

Collapse -
cancel
by bjjorbison / September 8, 2009 6:46 AM PDT

Please cancel my log-in information. I do not wish to use this web site any longer.

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.