TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Lack of audio from PS3

by wallyg17 / July 7, 2008 10:02 AM PDT

I have a PS3 hooked up to my Philips 42PF7320A/37 TV via HDMI cable (also have my cable settop box doing the same). I'm then running optical audio from my tv into my Harmon Kardon AVR110 receiver, so that all audio comes through the same channel passing through the TV.

When I play DVD's or games on the PS3, the audio and video both work fine (ditto for cable). However, any downloaded content on the PS3 or CD's yield no audio. If I try downloading a trailer on the PS3, I get video but no audio. If I play a CD, it recognizes it, shows me the tracklist, and the visualizer reacts, but there's no audio.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting I can imagine and checked all the settings multiple times. Anyone have any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lack of audio from PS3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lack of audio from PS3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am not really sure why exactly ...
by stuntman_mike / July 7, 2008 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Lack of audio from PS3

you would get audio for certain things and not for others.

I can tell you that you are best served by running an optical audio from the PS3 directly to your receiver and also one from the cable box to the receiver as well.

Chances are that you are not getting surround sound from your setup now as almost all TVs will not output 5.1 audio.

If you hook up your equipment separately using an optical cable for each, you will not only actually get surround sound, but my guess is that you would fix your audio issues as well. Just make sure that you set the PS3 to output audio via optical in the settings menu.

Not familiar with your AVR. I can only assume that you have chosen to hook your equipment up this way because you only have one optical audio in. I can tell you one thing for sure though, the way you have it set up is far from ideal. That's why receivers have multiple optical and coaxial audio ins.

Good luck

Collapse -
far from ideal
by wallyg17 / July 7, 2008 9:13 PM PDT

I actually have two optical inputs on the receiver (one of which I'm using for a standalone CD player, which I hardly ever use). But I did it this way because I wanted to use HDMI for the PS3 and cable into the tv. Could I still do that and the optical cables? I'm pretty sure I'm getting 5.1 through the tv.

Collapse -
The dreaded PS3 audio dilemma
by Dan Filice / July 7, 2008 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Lack of audio from PS3

I own a PS3 and I have it hooked to my TV with HDMI. For 5.1, I have my PS3 hooked to my Yamaha receive with Optical cable. (My Yamaha is pre-HDMI.) The stupid PS3 does not push audio out simultaneously from both HDMI and Optical. You need to go into the Settings menu on the PS3, go to Sound then choose Optical or HDMI Audio Out. What does this have to do with your problem? I'm not sure except that maybe the PS3's audio is attempting to use the Optical-Out or it's processed in such a way that the PS3 recognizes certain media and stops it's Audio-Out processing because of it's screwed up inability to output audio from both methods. I would do as Mike suggested and plug your Optical from your PS3 directly into your receiver (as I do) and then you will be fine. You will simply need to go back into the PS3 Settings and choose either HDMI Audio (for your TV speakers) or Optical Audio for your receiver. I complained to Sony about this, but they have no answer. Someone at Sony wasn't thinking when they made the PS3. Funny how all stand-alone DVD players (Blu-ray included) will output audio using both HDMI and Optical at the same time, but the PS3 won't. I hope they fix this with a Firmware upgrade. But on the bright side, I bought the PS3 Bluetooth remote and it made living with the audio quirk livable.

Collapse -
one or the other
by swiggins / July 9, 2008 1:14 PM PDT

BINGO!.........you can use HDMI or optical, used together they cancel each other out

Collapse -
so which one?
by wallyg17 / July 9, 2008 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: one or the other

so what do you recommend if i want to take advantage of hdmi video to the tv?

Collapse -
Surround sound
by ldonal / July 11, 2008 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: so which one?

As stuntman said, you are best served by running an optical audio cable from the PS3 directly to your receiver and also one from the cable box to the receiver as well. That is how I have my ps3 and hd dvr connected to my receiver. Many tv's do not "sync" with receivers unless if the tv and receiver are made by the same company. This set up will change as I am trying to upgrade to a receiver that has hdmi inputs.

Collapse -
and still...
by wallyg17 / July 13, 2008 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Surround sound

run HDMI to my tv for video?

Collapse -
Surround sound
by ldonal / July 13, 2008 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: and still...

Yes, run your HDMI cable to the tv and an optical cable to your receiver. You should be fine.

Collapse -
only one optical audio in
by Uncle_Woody / October 2, 2008 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Surround sound

Is there any type of combiner for multiple optical sources? My receiver only has 1 optical cable input.

Collapse -
Sorry
by Uncle_Woody / October 2, 2008 11:28 PM PDT

I was confusing the different video inputs. My receiver does have 3 optical and 1 coaxial input.

But I do have a quastion: Do you have to use a Sony PS3 optical audio cable, or will any optical cable work?

Collapse -
Optical cable
by Dan Filice / October 3, 2008 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Any optical cable will work. I've got a variety of optical cables and I've tried them all with my PS3 and they all work...and the cables all came from different companies. I think the optical cables and connections are standard on all devices, thankfully. Sony has a terrible habit of making USB cable connections on their cameras different than anyone else's.

Collapse -
YAY!
by Uncle_Woody / October 3, 2008 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Optical cable

Yes, I bought an optical cable, and it works perfectly! Thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.