Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

Lacie Hard Drtive not seen by system

by njs21 / January 30, 2010 5:10 AM PST

I am running OSX On aniMac, I have 2 Lacie 2Tb external Hard Drives connected. The system only recognizes one of them , it is a big disk extreme+. This is after regular use for over a year, recently it started acting up a little noisier than usual. But it was fully operational. About 3 days ago I got an error message warning me that I need to eject the drive properly and after that the drive was not seen on the desktop. I can not even run Diskwarrior to diagnose the problem. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lacie Hard Drtive not seen by system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lacie Hard Drtive not seen by system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does it spin?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 30, 2010 8:55 AM PST

Have you tried turning it off and then back on?

Usually when you get an error message like that, it means that the device dropped off the USB bus without any warning to the system.
Usually it means that the drive just died or the USB interface in the external case, failed.
That's probably not the case if the other drive is seen and is functioning.

Ahh, the beauty of RAID.

Collapse -
LaCie = bad
by mhollis55 / February 2, 2010 3:04 AM PST

The answer, unfortunately, is to not trust LaCie with your data ever again. For some time now they have been making drive enclosures that cook the electronics within them or cook the internal hard drive(s).

I have had considerable experience with their drives as a video editor. And I will not purchase their equipment due to assumptions they make that their enclosures will cool their drives without fans or they don't need to worry about moving much air because their aluminum enclosures will keep things cool.

If you can get them to work or mount one more time, I recommend immediately backing up all data on them to a non LaCie system. And never buy LaCie again.

Collapse -
by gokitty / February 24, 2010 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: LaCie = bad

So what back-up product do you use for Mac

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2010 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Lacie

I am currently using a Seagate 1TB drive and Time Machine.

Prior to that I was using a 500GB LaCie Firewire drive and Backup from Apple.

I don't have a problem with LaCie drives.

What backup strategy do you employ?

Collapse -
by gokitty / February 24, 2010 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Personally,

As I said my Lacie just died, thinking of buying a, Iomega eGo Portable Mac Edition - Hard drive - 500 GB - external - FireWire / FireWire 800 / Hi-Speed USB

Collapse -
Don't like the Iomega drives,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2010 8:58 PM PST

been too many posters with problems.

BTW, you never mentioned that your Lacie just died. Unless you posted under a different name.

Check out the Seagate drives. Longer warranty, larger capacity and, usually, lower price

Collapse -
LaCie drive not recognized
by Jack J. / March 12, 2010 6:41 AM PST

You did not mention how your drives were connected or the model of your iMac. If you are using a newer iMac and Firewire 800 cable to connect the drives you could be experiencing the same problem that I am, where the first device is recognized until another is plugged in, then the first one dismounts. I think it's a problem with their Firewire interface. In any even the drive is warranted for three years, so contact them for a replacement. If the bad drive is not recognized when it it plugged in alone, and if it can't be reformatted using the Disk Utility, it's bad.

Collapse -
by gokitty / March 12, 2010 8:14 AM PST

I'm using Omega now, so far so good. I had the same problem with (first device is recognized until another is plugged in, then the first one dismounts).
I come to the recollection the you need to buy two back-up hard drives. the first to do an initial back-up( then stored in a in a filing cabinet, the second to use as your everyday backup.

Collapse -
(NT) A very wise move.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 9:09 AM PST
Collapse -
LaCie drives
by pashdej / June 29, 2010 7:51 PM PDT

We have about 15 LaCie drives, only two have ever died and that was because the HD inside was past 4-5 years old. BUT. We have had some power packs die, I understand that LaCie have abandoned the 4 pin power plug system because the packs were dying too frequently, other than this issue, the drives usually don't show because of having missed a firmware update and then, if you've updated the OS you might consider a PRAM boot so as to "tell the computer" where these drives are.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.