Storage forum

General discussion

Lacie Hard Drive Problems

by filmxtreme / February 16, 2009 11:51 AM PST

I have a Lacie 750 gig hard drive that use to edit videos on. Now it only half works. When I turn on the power switch, regardless if the USB is plugged in or not, the drive starts spinning, clicks and then stops spinning as if turned off. The light remains on. This happens every time now and is not detected by my Macintosh. It use to work until I casually moved the drive from my home to my office, How could Lacie be so unstable.
Any ideas of what to do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lacie Hard Drive Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lacie Hard Drive Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look and read other posts like yours. The usual is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2009 11:59 AM PST

Put the hard disk into a new enclosure.

Collapse -
worst after warrnty suport by lacie
by williamzxxx / April 17, 2011 6:04 PM PDT

DON'T BUY Lacie Hard disk coz ,
after the warranty if you call the customer care support ,they will ask you to throw away your hard disk in garbage with your valuable data.
this is what to happened to me for my 500Bgb Big hard disk ,i tried both mac and pc the light remains on but it is not detecting in either computers.nowadays before buying the any electronic products ,you need to find out service support coz they are all use and throw type..

Collapse -
Did you compare other maker support?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2011 1:06 AM PDT

If you did, not one offers recovery for free.

Can I ask how we got here? That is, where was the message lost about backup?

Collapse -
easy fix sometimes
by zman7458 / December 15, 2011 9:35 AM PST

Ive had my laci 500 GB for quite a few years now and the only problem I have with it is that it hates to be shut down incorrectly. when this happens my computer (several different makes and models ) always tells me the drive isn.t recognized and the blue light on the drive blinks rapidly. anytime I see this I simply goto the back of the drive and unplug the power then the usb, then plug in the usb then the power. do all of this with the computer running and viola the drive pops up and will be fine until the next time it gets shutdown wrong. hope this helps someone, as this poster has probably already moved on <grin>

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.