Samsung forum

General discussion

LA32R71B 32" LCD TV won't turn on. LED keeps blinking

by yaul / March 21, 2009 3:32 PM PDT

My LA32R71B suddenly won't be able to turn on. The power indicator keeps blinking but no sound or video comes up. Tried unplugging the unit (power, and all other cords) for a few hours but the problem persists when it's reconnected. I searched the issue for a bit and found that it's quite common. How can I get it fixed?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LA32R71B 32" LCD TV won't turn on. LED keeps blinking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LA32R71B 32" LCD TV won't turn on. LED keeps blinking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LA32R71B 32" LCD TV won't turn on. LED keeps blinking
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 22, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

I would suggest calling your local Samsung service center. The number should be located in the manual, or on the website designating your country.

Collapse -
brand new LCD won't power on
by erj360 / July 22, 2009 7:14 PM PDT

Just bought a brand new LA32B550 set up fine thinking all great but now won't power on - very unhappy. !!!!

red light on constant, press power on and it flashes but tv does not come on

Friend said not to buy Samsung stating that there were often issues with them which I disagreed with - not so sure now?

Collapse -
same problem.
by squintzzz / August 4, 2009 10:54 PM PDT

I just recently bought the Samsung LA32B550 as well, had it for a month now. Having exactly the same problems and didn't think I'd experience problems with it one month in. The little red light flashes on and off, and it won't even stop flashing if I try to turn it off. Not happy at all and highly recommend to anybody researching on tv's to not consider samsung as I've found this is a common problem.

Collapse -
LA32B550 red light on but no one home
by benjahoulihan / October 3, 2009 9:48 PM PDT

Great Tv except it stopped working this afternoon. The red light is constantly on but nothing else is working.

has anyone found a fix yet? im sure its going to have to go back to samsung to be fixed.

also my brand new washing machine blew up about 5 days ago, i checked my power it was 254vac. a little high. im guessing this may have something to do with it, also my girls new hair dryer blew up also.

Collapse -
I had the same led flashing issue with my LG lcd tv
by vazco573 / October 16, 2010 8:03 PM PDT

Usually this issue has to do with blown capacitors. If you open the back cover, you'll most likely see a few capacitors bubbled up. These need to be changed. They usually run for under $2 each. I replaced 3 myself after I got an estimate of $250 from a local repair shop. This is a very easy problem to fix, but many people end up replacing the whole unit. Hope this helps...

Collapse -
by cassie-co03 / February 21, 2011 6:45 AM PST

just wanted to know where you purchased your capacitors from. is there a certain website or can i go to local electronic shop?

Collapse -
Buy capacitors
by Gipet / May 3, 2011 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: capacitors

This problem just happend to me. After reading some threads in the internet i desided to open the back cover and replace the capacitors. I replaced three of them (these that where bubbled up - the top side of them wasn't flat but spherical) and the TV worked fine. You can buy them from your local electronic parts store. They are very easy to found, just take the bubbled up capacitors with you in order to buy the right ones.
I'm also planning to replace the little fan which is inside the TV behind the panel, because it makes a lot of noise. If you want to do the same thing just buy one from a computer store.

Collapse -
No idea...
by lhpg / July 30, 2011 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Buy capacitors

I have the same problem, i looked all over the internet looking for answers. After reading and reading about the capacitor i decided to open the back of the tv and all my caps look just fine. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Similar issue
by DRArmstrong / September 6, 2011 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: No idea...

I just had the bubbled up capacitors changed and the television still won't come on. The red light stays solid. When I push the power button, or try to turn it on with the remote, the red light flickers and this faint click sound comes from the power board. I'm in a similar situation as you. Anybody have any ideas?

Collapse -
What did the Samsung Tech tell you to change next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar issue

I'm encountering folk that don't give Samsung the chance to replace these or WORSE, continue to use a set that is clicking on and off. Usually the damage spreads to other boards.

Tell more.

Collapse -
may have goofed
by nrg024 / September 12, 2012 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Similar issue

the caps could be in backwards or yuo may have put one in backward. the board should have a dot. the stripe on the cap points to the dot. so make sure u have the right polarity!!

Collapse -
Help with Samsung Power Supply Board Model SIP40D
by bwilson213 / October 17, 2011 3:55 AM PDT

This is out of a Samsung TV LNA40A630M1FXZA

I am having the same issue with the blinking red light and power board. The only thing is that the capacitors are not my issue. What is my issue is the Metal Oxide Varistor's labeled DSC 2.5D-15. These parts are part numbers SIP40D- NT801 & 2.

The problem I am having is that no one can get me the information for the Varistors. I could easily replace them but no one, not even Samsung knows the volt and uf for these varistors.

Collapse -
by Gregs_Dragon / October 27, 2011 4:05 AM PDT

Have you found the specs for the two DSC 2.5D-15 varistors?

Collapse -
Hmm, isn't that a Thermistor?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2011 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Varistors
Collapse -
But Once It Warms UP
by saltydog463 / November 9, 2011 3:52 AM PST

I have had the red light blinking and slow turn on for a while and it is getting worse ( have to fix before Sunday Football). I have noticed that once the TV warms up it turns on faster. Is this an indication of anything? I am going to open it up in a day or two and check the capacitors.

Collapse -
by nrg024 / September 12, 2012 1:20 PM PDT

varistors i believe are variable. thay is y u cant find a value. they have to be adjusted per circuit. best i can tell u.

Collapse -
samgsung flashing light wont switch on
by dicko0704 / April 23, 2012 2:25 AM PDT

after checking the capaciters and noticing they were blown i contacted my local tv repairer he took my model number and informed me that samgsung were aware of the problem and that he was autherised to carry out the repair free of charge i have had the tv for 4 years the cut of point is 6 years i had to pay call out at 25 pounds if i went through samgsung it would have been free but i would have had to have it sent away and could not wait as my local repairer did it the next day plus i had taken the back of to check the capaciters my model number was le19r88bd

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.