Phones

Question

Kyocera DuraPlus or Sonim Xp Strike?

by GigabyteGeek / January 24, 2013 5:28 AM PST

I've had an old Sanyo rl4930 for years.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/sanyo-rl4930-sprint/4505-6452_7-31597369.html

Completely happy with it since all I use a mobile for is talk and text. Still works like the first day except I just broke the antennae base off. Seems fine but it got me thinking about a new phone.

I'm searching for rugged ones meant for construction types even though I'm not one. I'm just on the go a lot so my phone takes a beating. My Sanyo took it no problem so I want something at LEAST as durable as it is.

The DuraPlus and the Strike were the ones I found that are closest to what I'm looking for and that have the 10-key design (which I prefer) While I searched through eligible upgrades with my cell provider.

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/kyocera-duraplus-sprint/4505-6454_7-35160844.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/sonim-xp-strike-sprint/4505-6452_7-35558267.html

I'm leaning toward the DuraPlus because of the price and the LED flashlight but a ton of reviews I read around thenet said the call quality is terrible. I don't really use "push to talk" but many said regular calling wasn't any better so that has me worried.

Haven't read any complaints about the Strike but it's newer. It seems more durable which I like and is a tad smaller. It has a camera and microSD slot but I'm not sure if that's worth an extra $60 when I may not even use them so I'm trying to get feedback on features I DO use.

1) Do either have a voice recorder? My Sanyo does and I use it a lot so it'd be nice not to lose.

2) I use my Sanyo exclusively as my alarm clock. It has five slots for me to set independent alarms. Perfect because I work five days a week with different shifts depending on the day so I love the convenience of being able to set all five days and forget about it. Anyone know if either of these phones have multiple alarm slots too or is it just a single alarm?

3) Any other differences in BASIC features you know of that would make you choose one over the other?

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kyocera DuraPlus or Sonim Xp Strike?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kyocera DuraPlus or Sonim Xp Strike?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can't address this at all. But.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 5:33 AM PST

My current handy phone is a Kyocero Rise and it's been a positive experience. Nice long battery times compared to my prior HTC One (stock battery in both, upgraded my HTC One battery later to stop the daily charge.)

I also own a Sanyo ICR-XPS01M which is my favorite portable recorder to date.

Point? I think you picked some great names and hope you find more about the products. Are you telling us the folk that sell these don't talk much?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by GigabyteGeek / January 30, 2013 10:00 PM PST

I haven't gotten any feedback on this so I'll try to find a store that carries both.

Collapse -
Answer
P.S.
by GigabyteGeek / January 24, 2013 5:35 AM PST

I meant to say that I don't have any other alarm clock so I use my Sanyo. The other thing I forgot to ask about that is whether or not either the DuraPlus or Strike are capable of turning themselves on to sound the alarm? My Sanyo isn't but my previous phone was so it'd be nice to have that feature again with a phone that can wake itself. Also, sorry for replying, I didn't see an edit button anywhere on my post. Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.