Audio & Video Software forum

Praise

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System

by itsdigger / April 15, 2013 9:18 AM PDT

I've been a big fan of Klipsch for years, my home theatre system is all Klipsch for the past 20 years ( back than the speakers cost me about 7 to $8,000 ) probably twice that now but, Ineed some speakers for my desktop computer and guess what I ended up buying! Klipsch! I was looking at Bose but I remembered back in the day with Bose 901 speakers just Eating up my amplifiers so checked out these ans These Klipsch Are Phenomenal ! I picked them up for $130.00 but they sound like a Million. Here's a review from Youtube. If you enjoy great sounds from your computer, Buy These >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdRuaBb-A4 Enjoy! ..Digger

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Man! These Things Rock!
by itsdigger / April 16, 2013 4:05 AM PDT

There is no power switch to turn it off and on though so I installed an inline switch on the power cord. No sence in having them powered up 24/7 cause a lot of times I wear head phones so as not to disturb others in the house...Digger

Collapse -
Hmmm. I have those same speakers
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 4:14 AM PDT

They're getting a bit dated but I agree they're really decent for plain old 2-channel stereo. You said no on/off switch but mine has a rocker type on the sub right near where the power cord goes in. I've had a total of two near fatal problems with mine so will tip you off. I had a solder joint go bad causing me to lose one channel intermittently. I was able to get it apart and flow solder back into the power transistor leads PCB eyelets and get it to work. Later I had the thing completely die. My DVM found the transformer primary winding to be open. I looked up the number of the transformer and found it had a fuse buried under the wrappings. I was able to peel enough of it apart to bypass the fuse component and just install an inline type external to the transformer. I think my set is more than 3 years old now and still sound good to what's left of my hearing. Check for that black rocker switch but it's possible you have an updated version.

Collapse -
It is the updated version with
by itsdigger / April 17, 2013 4:24 AM PDT

no power switch but I put an inline switch on the power cord. I hope I don't have the same problems you had , I would than never trust any reviews I read on the net or view on youtube. They sure seem top notch now though...Digger

Collapse -
jast a passing thought
by itsdigger / April 17, 2013 4:30 AM PDT

All of my older Klipsch speakers were built in Alabama. I note now that these were mfg. in China. Hmmm....

Collapse -
Looks like mine were made in China too
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: jast a passing thought

My previous speakers were Cambridge Soundworks made before Creative Labs bought them. I thought they were good too but the Klipsch are definitely cleaner in the mids and uppers. The Bass is about equal but I keep the sub well down below wall rattling level anyway. You mentioned the old Bose 901s and I remember these when they first came out. I think it was in late '60s or early '70s. They called them "direct" reflecting and you needed a separate active equalizer box as I recall. You had 8 rear facing and one forward facing speaker. They later came out with the 501s as a less expensive alternative...or so my old brain thinks it remembers. As I recall, the 901s were very inefficient and needed a lot of power to get the best from them. I don't think they were ported. I really thought they were overrated at the time but was amazed at what an array of 4 inchers could do if enough power was applied.

Collapse -
yeah your right
by itsdigger / April 17, 2013 7:21 AM PDT

I had the 901's and really took a bunch of power to run. I was pushin' them with a Crown DC300 and it had to work to keep the Bose happy, even blew the fuses in the Crown once or twice. Around 76 I went to 901 Series 3 and was using a Sansui 6 and the Bose just ate that amp up! I got rid of the Bose around 80 or 81 and started messin' around with Sherwood amps can't recall the models but had two bi-amped 100 wpc mated up with some Electrostatics and they sounded good but not a lot of bass getting squeezed out. Around 85 I got rid of the Electrostatics and hooked up some AR's and they were pretty hot but blew them up as they were 4 ohm. that's when I dusted off the DC300 again and bought my first set of Klipsch. Wow ! Been hooked ever since except in 2000 I bought a monster Denon surround receiver and a set of Klipsch front ,middle and a subwoofer to go along with the original to massive towers I originally had. so I am an old Klipsch fan, and guess I always will be...Digger

Collapse -
Oh yeah
by itsdigger / April 17, 2013 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah your right

I forgot the set of Infinity 4000's I blew just before buying the Klipsch Devil , I was pretty tough on gear those days !

Collapse -
All those blown speakers
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh yeah

must mean there's not much left of your eardrums. Wink I've still got my good old JBL studio monitors which were originally hooked to a "made in USA" Marantz. That went bye, bye. It needed an on/off switch and a volume pot. It also was producing too much heat from the power transistors at idle. This probably meant some problem with the forward bias but I wasn't equipped to troubleshoot that. Even though it came with good schematics, I couldn't find parts anyway. I bought some Rotel thing at 100 watts a channel, had my JBL woofers re-coned and the still work good enough for what's left of my ear drums. My musical tastes have changed anyway and so has music. I don't think I've bought anything was was recorded less than 15 years ago.

Collapse -
yeah same here
by itsdigger / April 17, 2013 8:16 AM PDT

I think my audiophilia day's are past me now and I'm over it. I'll keep what I have and that's pretty good stuff anyway. I had fun doin' it though! Just a side note... I still have two pieces of my original stereo set up though.. the DC 300 and get this an Akai X150D reel to reel with sound with sound and sound on sound. The kids are chompin' at the bit to get their hands on those. Devil They'll just have to wait ! ...Digger

Collapse -
Reel to reel?
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah same here

The hot ones I remember were made by Revox. I think they were 10" tape reels running at 7 1/2 or greater inches per sec. These were what you used for home studio recording or ripping your vinyl. Of course this was when I was overseas in the service and guys didn't have much else to spend their paychecks on.

Collapse -
I see your
by itsdigger / April 17, 2013 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Reel to reel?

Revox and my Akai both 1967 and 69 on E-Bay going for $300 , I think I might have paid $75 for mine brand new long time ago

Collapse -
I hope your inline switch was an extension and that you
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 4:36 AM PDT

didn't cut/splice. Bye, bye warranty if you did. Enjoy your speakers.

Collapse -
Too Late!
by itsdigger / April 17, 2013 4:39 AM PDT

We do what we gotta do ! Cool

Collapse -
Promedia GMX A-2.1
by BROlaussen / August 31, 2014 5:24 AM PDT

I have the speakers and sub woofer, but in moving cord have misplaced. I would like a new set of wiring,

from sub woofer to control box and control box to computer

Any help out there? my email: b.olaussen@gmail.com

Bjorn

Collapse -
This thread is more than 502 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Promedia GMX A-2.1

Plus you posted email in the clear. Make a new post without the email and if you must have email then use the forums spam protected contact system.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, I hope this is better
by BROlaussen / August 31, 2014 10:36 AM PDT

I have the speakers and sub woofer, but in moving cord have misplaced. I would like a new set of wiring,

from sub woofer to control box and control box to computer for the Promedia GMX A-2.1

Collapse -
Promedia GMX A-2.1
by BROlaussen / August 31, 2014 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this it ?

I have everything except the 9 pin din and power cord from control box

Bjorn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.