Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

KL Detector is a free utility to find any keyloggers.

by SueSig / August 11, 2009 12:46 AM PDT

My computer is a Presario M2000 laptop running XP SP 3

I downloaded KL-Detector and ran a scan and got the following:

KL-Detector has found a suspicious file:

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pcatnlje.default\places.sqlite-journal

This is only one thing that it found; there is also a full log listed.

Is this really a keylogger on my computer? I went to C:\Documents and Settings\My Name and couldn't find Application Data; I did a search and couldn't find it either.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KL Detector is a free utility to find any keyloggers.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KL Detector is a free utility to find any keyloggers.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a False Positive.. Firefox Places It There..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 11, 2009 2:55 AM PDT

I've got that file on my machine here as well.. It's a "journal" file placed by Firefox and is harmless. The reason you're not finding the the "Application Data" folder is you probably don't have all hidden and system files and folders showing in Windows Explorer/Folder Options. Once hidden and system folders are visible, then path you've indicated should be visible.

By the way, I'm not seeing the greatest reviews of the KL-Detector product.. Your choice though..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Firefox false positive
by SueSig / August 11, 2009 4:42 AM PDT

Thanks, it looked suspicious but good to know it's nothing to worry about. The reason I tried the KL detector is it was recommended in one of Kim Komando's e-mails and it is free. Don't think I'll be using it again tho. I use AVG anti virus free and Comodo firewall as well as several anti-spyware programs, hopefully one of them will catch anything bad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.