Windows 7 forum

Kindly inform me if Magic Jack Plus:

by tcp99 / November 13, 2012 2:05 AM PST

Kindly inform me if Magic Jack Plus:
(1) Accepts unlimited incoming and outgoing phone calls to the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands;
(2) What are (if any) the hidden fees to the consumer?
Thank you!
I have researched the above at their web site to no avail.
Sadly, it appears that Magic Jack Plus has a horrible track record in Customer Service. I have not yet purchased the item.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kindly inform me if Magic Jack Plus:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kindly inform me if Magic Jack Plus:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
No sale.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 2:22 AM PST

If they can't answer pre-sales questions, no sale.

And my comment about service is this -> Many of the folk I encounter with issues have PC issues so while your average consumer wants any company to help fix their PC issues for free, it's not happening and the reviews show this.

Collapse -
I had it on my system and returned it...
by DChrisL-24942474863711215222790831027017 / November 17, 2012 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: No sale.
I think it covers only the US only. The one I bought required an Ethernet connection and plugged into a power source. I sent it back, they had charged $113 for it. There is an older one that plugs directly into a USB port and is less expensive. That I managed to foul up and returned to Radio Shack. Eventually, I will get another. Darrell Be Careful of that! There are 2 of them, one on the counter and one is hanging up on the wall.
Collapse -
First, there are no ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 17, 2012 9:53 AM PST
HIDDEN FEES and if you look over the information at you will see that you have free INCOMING AND OUTGOING calls to the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands

Take a look at the Knowledge Base - and on that page you should see

You should see Frequently Asked Questions listed as well as the answers to most anything else you could think to ask.

Then read this review and decide for yourself. Remember though that you almost always hear more bad things than good things because people tend to complain loudly and praise softly if at all -

Since Magic Jack offers a free trial it is easy for you to see for yourself about call quality and the rest of the package.
Collapse -
Magic Jack Plus:
by tcp99 / November 18, 2012 10:39 PM PST

I did read the above on Magic Jack's website. What it fails to say is if it is Unlimited incoming and outgoing calls to the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. If you know, please confirm.

Collapse -
If you are still asking that ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 19, 2012 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: Magic Jack Plus:

you DID NOT read what was offered or you would have seen this -

"magicJack provides free local and long distance calls to the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

Please visit our Terms of Service for current information"

Those terms of service spell things out rather clearly

Collapse -
by tcp99 / November 19, 2012 8:33 PM PST

The word Unlimited is not present.

Collapse -
Your Right
by NotGeeky / November 18, 2012 10:38 PM PST

M.J. Sucks to blunt about it. The first one was worth it's wait in gold to me. It sucked but you got what you paid for, the M.J. Plus well that one is a little worse than the first one for something that was supposed to be better.
They're Customer Service, well thats the Pitts too. After going back & forth for months, I threw in the towel. I still have both jacks and just use the system for a true emergency, otherwise it's garbage. AND they still have the nerve to keep advertising too. I guess they have get every sucker they can, like me....No really, don't waste your time with any part of it. Just when you think your getting a bargain, your getting what you pay for, which again is garbage.......

Collapse -
Magic Jack Plus
by tcp99 / January 15, 2013 3:00 AM PST

Purchased MJ+ and it works. I've had it for 1 month, so far so good. I can make unlimited calls, use the fax machine and home answering machine.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.