E-readers forum

General discussion

Kindle, Sony or PBook?

by Green Forest / March 2, 2010 11:48 PM PST

What reader you think better?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Kindle, Sony or PBook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Kindle, Sony or PBook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is...
by La4rt / March 2, 2010 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Kindle, Sony or PBook?

Collapse -
Pocket Book
by Green Forest / March 3, 2010 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: What is...

Pocket Book-301.

Collapse -
I see.
by La4rt / March 3, 2010 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Pocket Book

And what models you are looking at are Sony and Kindle models?

Collapse -
by Green Forest / March 3, 2010 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: I see.

I'm chosing between Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2 and this one.

Collapse -
by keemilow / March 4, 2010 5:15 PM PST

i would buy the sony. it's the quality that makes the difference.

Collapse -
by Green Forest / March 4, 2010 5:31 PM PST
In reply to: sony
Collapse -
Quality? Oh, if I were to use that as...
by make_or_break / March 13, 2010 5:36 PM PST
In reply to: sony

...the sole criteria, I'd actually stay beyond arm's length from a Sony reader.

I've already done the PRS-500, and considering my experiences with that 1st gen Sony unit, I'm unlikely to spread any further cash Sony's way again.

Collapse -
Sony in Canada - I don't think so
by mrfgr1070 / April 8, 2010 10:36 AM PDT

I have a Sony PRS-600 and love the hardware. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU ARE IN CANADA!!! The reader store is having fewer and fewer books available. Customer service is also disgusting.

Collapse -
by Josefina Arg / August 26, 2010 11:23 PM PDT

For reading I would recommend you Kindle. Kindle is sure a worth buying. Wireless is a unique feature I will say and that?s make really value for money. 3G wireless and global coverage, I personally travel a lot and really worthy for me. You can have any newspaper at any place and also they are cheaper. The best selling value for the Kindle is convenience for the travel, it?s pretty handy and easy to carry anywhere with you. The other important thing matters to me are speedy for downloading books and reading material. Also it allow around average size of 1500 books and reading material to store, so is a significant amount of storage space to bring with you. In one line I can say ?you are carrying your book shelf with you?.
Also one of the other feature of Kindle is it?s E-INK screen technology that don?t glare in any light so no strain to eyes and you can read for hours.
Also you save a lot in compare to the actual books, the books on kindle are really cheaper so I have saved a lot till now. Also there are plenty of books on kindle to choose. Also it has so good features such as Text-To-Speech which is really useful when you get bored or doing some other activity.

Josefina Arg

Collapse -
I like kindle A truly Immersive reading experience
by suphancyber / September 6, 2010 10:36 PM PDT

I have had many devices in the past, ever since ebooks were just a twinkle in a dead trees eye, these include a Tablet PC, Pocket PC, Blackberry and most recently a Sony Pocket eReader but, up to now, there was always something that stopped me from getting lost in a good book, until now, within minutes of starting to read the K3 disappears and the words take over with no distractions (popups, email notifications, calls etc).

If there was one suggestion I could make to enhance the experience it would be an option to remove the Locations bar, books have page numbers and even if they did not, there is no getting away from visually seeing how much further you had to go but, with an ereader this indication of how long you have left has, for me, a negative aspect on the storytelling, if say there is a false ending halfway through a story you know that is what it is as there is half a book left so the gist of the story has been altered. If you needed to go to a particular page then you could turn the option back on, go there, then turn it off. Just a thought...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.