Computer Help

General discussion

Keyboard unable to type

by adzos / May 8, 2007 6:38 AM PDT

Symptom: when I clicked to MS word, an error message ?words has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key? appeared on the screen (This happens on my laptop).
Then on the keyboard went hay-wire (on all occasions) when I tried to use it, either nothing happens or something else happened (not what you typed). Apparently it also affects the mouse intermittently. Now I?m trying to reformat my XP, but when it comes to keying in the product key numbers, I was unable to do it (nothing happens). I?ve tried using another keyboard but the exact same problem persists. (Keyboard is usable with another computer).Now my laptop is stuck halfway of reformatting. Please help!!

Computer details:

Prestigio
Model: 109
VIA 1000Mhz Processor
128mb DDR RAM
20GB HDD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard unable to type
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard unable to type
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Virus
by PC Catastrophe / May 8, 2007 11:56 PM PDT

It sounds like you have a virus that needs removal. Exactly how stuck are you in reformatting?

Collapse -
Keyboard unable to type
by adzos / May 9, 2007 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus

Thanks for your response, reformatting cannot proceed 'cos I can't type in the windows CD product key as requested.

Collapse -
anti-virus
by adzos / May 9, 2007 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus

In addition to last posting, I had scanned my laptop and nothing detected I suppose its clean.

Collapse -
The sites I found with this claimed 3 year warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 2:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
CTRL key stuck
by adzos / May 9, 2007 2:51 AM PDT

I don't think that is the cause, I tried using other keyboard and the problem persists.

Collapse -
Details too slim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: CTRL key stuck

For instance the model I found was a laptop with 3 year warranty (not just that link I gave.) So you have a warranty issue and only need to make it their problem.

Otherwise you are squarely into repairing your own PC.

Bob

Collapse -
warranty period
by adzos / May 9, 2007 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Details too slim.

I've own this laptop for over 2 years already, the warranty period had expired for over a year since I was given 1 year warranty period only. For your information I'm living in Malaysia.

Collapse -
So you have 2 of them?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: warranty period

Otherwise how would we know this?

Details can help here.

Bob

Collapse -
Using desktop
by adzos / May 9, 2007 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: So you have 2 of them?

I'm using my desktop computer now.

Collapse -
OK, let's try this again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Using desktop

You wrote you replaced the keyboard. But laptops don't use the same keyboard as a desktop so that's not a valid test except for a few things. Just not this test.

You may have left the failed keyboard in the laptop and it's stuck key. Do you have a way of getting spare parts such as the keyboard and mainboard for this unit?

Bob

Collapse -
just a thought
by jonah jones / May 9, 2007 3:52 AM PDT

i had the same kind of problem when connecting a keyboard with a PS/2 plug via a PS/2-USB convertor to my laptop

jonah

Collapse -
Same Problem
by Tryna101 / August 14, 2008 2:14 AM PDT

I am experiencing the same problem with my toshiba labtop. The labtop is registering that I am holding down the ctrl key when Im not even touching it. It isn't food/dust stuck under the key. Using the on screen keyboard, I can disable the held ctrl key but it happens quite often. The problem resumes after each shut down. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2008 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

Install a new keyboard.

Collapse -
Um..
by Tryna101 / August 15, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual.

On a labtop? Yah.. good idea.

Collapse -
I do this monthly it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2008 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Um..

More often as time passes since people are moving to laptops. The price of the keyboard is variable and beats the cost of a new laptop.

Collapse -
Unplug everything from your laptop
by jaydenl / August 23, 2009 9:42 AM PDT

I helped a friend solve this issue. Try unplugging EVERYTHING that is attached to your laptop and restart. Mice, keyboard, Internet, printer - everything except the power cable.

In my experience, my friend didnt need to restart, but I've read elsewhere that restarting is beneficial.

Cheers,

Jayden

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums.

Collapse -
Try this
by King_Yash / August 20, 2011 7:39 PM PDT

While the windows asks for key, U press n hold F1 and try to type the cd key. This did work for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.