Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

keyboard keys suddeny scrambled

by bobpohl / June 14, 2006 5:06 AM PDT

I was in the middle of typing and suddenly none of the keys work properly. Most of them won't type anything and the rest are jumbled. "c" will print "-", n will be 7, ";" will be the "page up" key etc. I've reinstalled the keyboard drivers but no success. language/region settings are US as always. no idea why it's suddenly scrambled. keyboard is microsoft wireless multimedia keyboard 1.0A. batteries are fine. XP system. Please help. this is really causing a ton of trouble. I'm using software kboard to type this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: keyboard keys suddeny scrambled
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: keyboard keys suddeny scrambled
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe a change in language for your keyboard
by DarCLew2 / June 14, 2006 6:36 AM PDT

I had the right idea but it was for earlier Windows. Go to Regional and Language Options in the Control Panel. I have US English Dvorak, & US International selected for the imput on the keyboard. There a few more Englosh in there and maybe one will work. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
not language problem
by bobpohl / June 14, 2006 8:46 AM PDT

no lang. options fix it unfortunately. i'm at a loss...

Collapse -
under languages tab there is a DETAILS that you click on
by DarCLew2 / June 14, 2006 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: not language problem

I have 3 listed:
1] English (United States)-United States Dvorak
2] English (United States)-United States International
3] English (United States) - US
The original email was Number one; This is Numer 2.
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Keyboard
by mopscare42 / June 14, 2006 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: not language problem

This may a totally different issue, but the key board my my HP computer did similer things a couple weeks ago.
I e-mailed HP tech Support and was told the the Windows update (KB908531)was causing the problem.
At first I thougt they were nuts, but after removing the update and not allowing it to load again it fixed the problem.
This may be just for HP?

Collapse -
how to remove it?
by bobpohl / June 15, 2006 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Keyboard

how can i remove an update? i'll give ita try

Collapse -
Remove (KB908531)
by mopscare42 / June 15, 2006 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: how to remove it?

You can remove the update by going into add and remove programs in the control panel.
At the top there is a box that says show updates. Check that and it will show all the updates.
Hi light the update KB908531 and remove it just like any other progrm.
If that is not your keyboard problem, it is no big deal removing it as on your next Windows update it will see that your computer doesn't have it and will re load the update.
If that does fix your problem you are going top have to go into Microsoft security up date site and it will tell you that you have that file to download. Hi light it and then hide it or it will load it again and you would be right back to square one.
Good luck
Wayne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.