Computer Help forum

General discussion

keyboard failure on dell

by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 1:12 AM PST

I have a Dell 530S and while trying to boot up this morning it said keyboard failure. I have tried another keyboard that works on the other computer and still keyboard failure. Any advice out there???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: keyboard failure on dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: keyboard failure on dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Basic tests
by Willy / January 18, 2012 1:33 AM PST

Swap the problem kybd. can try at the PC you took the other kybd. from, what are the results?

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Basic tests

It is a usb keyboard and yes it works on the other computer. I dont understand how to reset elsewhere?? And I did blow out the connection.

Collapse -
Did you CROSS POST?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: re

If so I need to lock the other post to avoid duplication of efforts.

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Did you CROSS POST?

I posted on the Dell Forum and Computer Help Forum.

Collapse -
When this happens I do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 1:49 AM PST

1. Unplug ALL USB things.

2. Plug the Dell USB keyboard into the port Dell told me to use.

3. Unplug the AC and then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds.
Release the power button, apply AC and test.

4. If this is some Dell model with a PS/2 connection I may have to set the BIOS to ignore keyboard errors. You didn't supply a link to the manual for the machine's BIOS so I didn't read it.
Bob

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 1:57 AM PST

I did all of that and it still says keybooard failure. Not sure how to supply link to the manual.

Collapse -
Why I asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:05 AM PST

Since you owned it, you would be the most likely to find it at dell.com. Not only that but you have the Service Tag to take you right to the support site, drivers and manuals.

Since you don't have such, try to get into the BIOS and in there look for any item that has the word keyboard or PS/2.
Bob

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Why I asked.

When I went on the Dell website this is what I found for my keyboard...

DJ331KEYBOARD..., 104, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., UNITED STATES..., ENTRY..., LITEON..., BLACK...

Collapse -
Does any other USB device work?
by Coryphaeus / January 18, 2012 2:29 AM PST

If not you've lost the USB drivers. You might try a System Restore to before this happened.

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 2:35 AM PST

Im not sure... the mouse lights up when I plug it in and turn on the computer but the screen goes from the Dell start up page directly to a black screen displaying
Keyboard Failure
press F1 to continue, F2 to enter Setup
and nothing else happens.

Collapse -
Re: failure
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:54 AM PST

1. That's clearly an error from the BIOS. That's quite nearby now: just press F2 if your keyboard functions and your in the (BIOS) setup to do what is adviced above. Does that work?
2. What happens if you press F1 to continue?
3. Does your PC have a PS/2 port for the keyboard? That's the purple one shown in http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:PS2_Ports_ATX.jpg (the green one is for a PS/2 mouse)? If so, try a PS/2-keyboard in stead of a USB keyboard. Does that work?

Kees

Collapse -
kees
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Re: failure

When I press F2 or F1 it does nothing. I do not have the purple one. I have one that protrudes so I can not put it into any other usb port. Thank you so much for coming on here and trying to help me.

Collapse -
Re: USB-port
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: kees

It's not clear why you can't use the other rear port (see Bob's link to the manual below). But let's accept that. Then, it seems, you need to find a repair shop to find what's wrong. Maybe a USB-hub going into one of the other ports is a good solution (they should be usable somehow, I think). But maybe something on the motherboard is broken and none work any more.

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:32 AM PST

I think you are new to PCs in that you didn't write if your Dell has PS/2 ports and not a word about BIOS settings. I don't think we'll solve this today at this rate.

--> For example I know that this error can happen if I plug the keyboard into the wrong USB port but no where do you mention you checked that out.
Bob

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Yes I did check that out and it is a USB port and I explained that I dont know what the BIOS is or where that is to be found.

Collapse -
And WHICH USB PORT can matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:42 AM PST

A few Dells require the keyboard to be in 1 or may 2 of the available ports. Since it's your machine and you have access to the Service Tag you have fastest access to Dell.com and the setup manual.

I can't guess this one for you but it sounds like the USB Keyboard is plugged in the wrong port.

As to the BIOS, since you don't know it, how do you get help when it needs a change?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: keyboard failure
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:48 AM PST

He wrote in his first post: "while trying to boot this morning". He didn't write "I plugged the keyboard into another USB port yesterday evening and now, when trying to boot this morning". Which makes me think (but it's just an assumption) that the keyboard is still connected to the same USB port as it was yesterday. And that was the correct port.

But, of course, it's possible he forgot to tell the first half of the story.

Kees

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re: keyboard failure

You are correct!! I didn't change the port that it was plugged into and Yes it is the proper on that it is supposed to be in!!

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:55 AM PST

USB ports can fail. Dell had models that only accepted the keyboard (for boot use) on a few ports. Usually 2.

Imagine all this effort and you call repair and they try another port and it works.

Now, why not try that?

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

It only has one port that sticks out to allow me to plug it into.

Collapse -
Link to possible documentation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 3:39 AM PST
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp530s/en/OM/PDF/om_en.pdf on pages 15 and 17 show TWO USB ports on the front and FOUR USB ports on the rear.

"Use the back USB connectors for devices that typicallyremain connected, such as printers and keyboards."

Since there are FOUR ports available, and Dell does indeed write to use one of the rear ports (plural) something is truly amiss here.
Bob
Collapse -
(NT) Please see my post above "Re: failure".
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:55 AM PST
Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 3:58 AM PST

on page 17 it shows 4 usb ports but it also shows the blue port for the keyboard to go into. Because the keyboard connector sticks out and has knobs on the side of it to tighten it down it will not allow me to plug it into any other port.

Collapse -
Now we are getting somewhere.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 4:27 AM PST
The BLUE port above the USB ports with the knobs on the connection is what is called a VGA connection.

That's for the Video and does not go to any known keyboard from Dell.
Bob
Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 4:37 AM PST

Thank you!!

Collapse -
re
by imkaydo / January 18, 2012 2:48 AM PST

I didn't know that it needs a change. I know how to do things on the computer but dont know how to fix things if they go wrong.
I appreciate all of your advice and for trying to help me out with this problem. I guess I will have to call a repair guy to try and fix it for me.
Thanks again Bob!!

Collapse -
It would be a shame to call repair
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:52 AM PST

If it's just that old Dell wants the keyboard in some specific USB port problem. If you can't go to dell.com and use your Service Tag to get the manual why not try it on each port?

Collapse -
Solution
by wontootree / April 25, 2012 9:02 AM PDT

I had this same error on one of my customer's computers and couldn't find a solution anywhere on the internet. After trying the keyboard in every USB port, removing the battery, replacing the MB, substituting hard drives, RAM and the power supply with no luck, I was about to give up. I then closely examined each of the USB ports and noticed that one of the two front ports had the little solid part missing. I don't know what that piece is called, but it fits into the empty slot in the male USB plugs. I disconnected the cable connecting these ports from the motherboard and the computer booted right up. In place of the "keyboard failure" error there is now a "front cable disconnected" error which you can bypass by hitting the F1 key. I have yet to see if this message can be disabled in the BIOS.

Collapse -
Update
by wontootree / April 25, 2012 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution

The computer only started once (not sure how) with the front cable disconnected because the start button works through this cable. I had to repair the damaged USB port by straightening the four prongs which were smashed down and reconnect the front cable. The front USB ports can be disabled in the BIOS, but I have also covered them with tape so that the customer does not damaged the port again. The computer is now fine.

Leave it to Dell to come up with a setup where a damaged USB port, which is not even being used, will prevent the computer from starting. Then again, their crappy products do keep me busy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.