Samsung forum

Keyboard compatibility for Samsung smart TV's??

by Howgreat-35 / June 22, 2013 8:24 AM PDT

I have Samsung smart tv UN55F6350AF. Can the Samsung rep tell me which keyboards work with my set
and a little about the keyboard features?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keyboard compatibility for Samsung smart TV's??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keyboard compatibility for Samsung smart TV's??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
It's the weekend.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 8:30 AM PDT

I'm no rep but so far if the TV notes USB HID support I give the nod to the Logitech k400

Sorry, avoid the k400r for now until folk write it's OK.

As to the keyboard features it has the usual QWERTY and a mouse pad button area.

HOWEVER since apps don't have to use this, you find folk slamming the products for oddities you bump into such as that YouTube app.

Sorry but it's the weekend and thought you'd like something to read and ponder.

Collapse -
(NT) Couldn't have said it better myself - HD Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 25, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: It's the weekend.
Collapse -
Keyboar Compatibility
by stef24x7 / June 26, 2013 2:02 AM PDT

Well, if your TV is anything like my UN40EH5300, the Logitech K400 will work with the web-browser app. It will provide the ability to move the cursor via the trackpad and select hyperlinks. It works decently, although the WebB Browser, at least on my TV has a tendency to run out of memory and crash...

So you will probably find the keyboard doesn't work with Netflix, Amazon Instant Video or Youtube as you might expect. At this time, and I suspect this is true of many models, you cannot use the keyboard to type characters in the respective application's search field, which is a real shame.

The usability issue of having to resort to the cursor keys on the TV remote is significant.

Back to the Web browser, another annoyance - specifically when using the K400, at least with my TV, there is no way to disable the pop-up virtual on-screen keyboard that is displayed for those needing to use their remote for entering characters. Oh my.

Here's an example of an application on the TV that actually uses an external keyboard... but then it is not SMART enough to have been programmed to provide a setting for SMART customers to disable the popup keyboard.

In some ways, this lack of keyboard integration is disturbing. The SMART HUB vision IMHO isn't fully productized. The quality of these apps, the lack of keyboard integration and simple logical features like the one I describe above suggest SAMSUNG needs to do quite a bit more to improve it's product line in very fundamental ways. Certainly it has the programming expertise to make this happen.

Collapse -
by Howgreat-35 / June 26, 2013 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Keyboar Compatibility

Thanks for your input. I have a UN55F ; not sure if the "F" is significant; but it was purchased in April this year.
Other things I've learned are: On Logitech site says " tv's not supported" and Samsung make their own (?) keyboard, so I guess that should work( @ 2x the price). Wonder if anyone uses a Samsung keyboard and it works 100%? Yes, Samsung should step up to the plate and work on this, maybe via a downloaded upgrade
to the electronics. There are lots of other keyboards out there; wonder if there are better choices. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Let's be very clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: k-400

No maker will step up and warrant inter-operation. The Samsung keyboard is for specific models only (the ones I look at use a bluetooth link.)

I imagine some consumers will be put off by the disarray in the industry but here's what I find. If the TV writes "USB HID" then the k400 works within the limits of the apps

Collapse -
by stef24x7 / June 26, 2013 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's be very clear.

Really - any person purchasing one of these sets is going to expect that the input fields in any application are going to honor input from the keyboard.

And as for SAMSUNG's own keyboard not being compatible... I don't know if that is a BT thing or not. But the K400 doesn't use BT, and my set doesn't have BT. But it does have USB connectors for the universal receiver used with the wireless keyboard.

Lastly, as for the popup keyboard displaying when using a real keyboard (and there being no setting to suppress this), where is their usability engineering / testing team? Seriously?

Its so blatant - it's ridiculously sad.

Collapse -
So your set has USB HID.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

My advice is the k400 will likely be as good as it gets.

Let me tip my hand a little (I can't show all my cards.) Here's a photo from a developer's meeting.

It's a good idea to know that Samsung doesn't write all the apps. There are companies big and small and you see some like the YouTube app fail miserably on the keyboard even on non-samsung products. I noted it at;threadListing

I'm guessing here you want more than "it should work for most things." That is you don't want another Windows PC where the PC maker tells you that's Windows and they can't fix it.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG is still responsible for the Apps they host
by stef24x7 / June 27, 2013 3:10 AM PDT

I agree it's a good thing to have more than just the OEM developing apps. Android phone OSs tend to get bloated with OEM and Carrier junk. I've seen some horrific things when the OEM tries to create a better U.I. IMHO, on Android devices the best launchers / homescreens are replacements from the market.

That written, the OEM has an obligation to see to it that the user experience on their device is nothing short of excellent. Not just that it works frequently, but that it is solid (robust / stable), but that it is also logical, resource friendly, and easy to use (?).

I am aware YouTube is clunky on more than SAMSUNG HW, but really, they should be diligently working to correct the poor integration. Basic, fundamental usability issues. Someone on SAMSUNG's engineering team should be held accountable.

Collapse -
Can't find the right word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

I think the only solution here is for consumers to vote with their wallet.

As you know, Google supplies that particular app and has been known to not part with the best version. And since it's unlikely they supply source code, the host of the app would have little choice but to not include it and then suffer lower sales.

So market forces are surely the reason for why this is today.

But let's be honest about this is a TV with some recent new cobbled on feature. If you didn't have a PC to compare it with, then you might not have anything to compare with.

Also, if they made it a more closed system such as not allowing USB keyboards then the problem would be solved as well!

Collapse -
I don't agree
by stef24x7 / June 27, 2013 7:28 AM PDT

Sorry. No I don't buy it. SAMSUNG has good market penetration. They should say to Google, you want your program to be well accepted on our platform. We want superior compatibility and integration. We want you to fix how keyboard strokes are processed by your app so that our customers have the best experience on our platform with your application...

SAMSUNG certifies the app. Trust me, it doesn't go on the platform if they don't say it does. And it's not just YouTube, it's all the 3rd party apps (that I have tried thus far). Hmmm, what's common about that?

In order to do this properly, the OEM has to build in this capability at the kernel level. Trust me, the app maker can't do this on their own.

No - this speaks of incomplete engineering and poor support by the OEM to the development community.

Yes, people like myself are posting over in the Google Forums... Google is aware their app isn't being viewed in the best light... But, the OEM must work with them to get it fixed.

SMART HUB is missing a basic function and the result is gross usability issues. Not good!

Collapse -
Let me trot out this example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't agree

Apple to Google. We want your best version of Google Maps.

Google to Apple. No.

Hey, I hear you but if you don't vote, you may not be heard. Another voting method is to call it in. Get a transaction number and keep on it till they either fix, replace or you vote at the returns counter.

Collapse -
Re: USB HID devices
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 28, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't agree

Hi stef24x7,

I've mentioned this already on another thread, but Samsung already supplies an API so that developers can gain access to various input types: mice and keyboards are the two types that we advertise, but there are others in the documentation. I've looked in the developer forums, and they talk about, so I know they know about. Why many of them have not chosen to implement it yet is unclear to me.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Be careful
by stef24x7 / June 26, 2013 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: k-400

I've heard of others complaining SAMSUNG's own keyboard doesn't work.

I don't know if there are better choices. The Logitech is OK for use in the Web Browser...

If only the apps were better written... I just don't understand. Maybe the SMART HUB kernel needs tweaking but everywhere there is an input field, in any app, this engineer expects the keyboard to just work.

Collapse -
Am I The Only One?
by msp5527 / June 28, 2013 10:46 AM PDT

I've tried two wireless keyboards (USB not bluetooth) with a Samsung UN557100F series TV and BOTH of them fail to do anything in the web browser application when I press the TAB or the Enter keys. Am I the only one who is experiencing this? I've searched the web and don't see a single complaint about that issue.

The keyboards are from Microsoft and Logitech and both use a USB dongle. I find it very frustrating to have to use the TV's remote control to move the cursor with the touch pad just to move from one input box to the next (like logging into a site that requires you to enter a username and then a password) then clicking it to activate the virtual keyboard and then start typing on my real wireless keyboard. ARRRRRGGGGGG. Where is the support for the TAB key?

The Enter/Return key is a joke too. If I'm typing an email, I can't press the Enter key to start a new paragraph. In fact, the virtual keyboard has NO Enter key either so how the h3!! are you supposed to compose any reasonable message when you can't break it into paragraphs???? What were the programmers thinking? Did QA even give this stuff a try?

Needless to say, I'm not typing this on the TV's browser Happy I really hope that it is something that I'm missing related to setting up the wireless USB keyboard. Does a Bluetooth keyboard's TAB and ENTER keys work as expected? Would love to know if I need to switch to BT.

Lastly, I've also discovered that characters like apostrophe, exclamation, etc. show up as garbled characters. I tend not to use then because of that Sad

Collapse -
Please make a new post with detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2013 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Am I The Only One?

Such as the full model number, firmware versions and what you wrote. Something sounds off and in this instance (web browser) some of that is maintained by Samsung so there is some hope.

Also supply a transaction number from your calls.

Collapse -
Samsung smart tv series 6350
by geojd / August 28, 2013 8:37 AM PDT

Are Samsung TV's sold at Costco a lower quality?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2013 8:46 AM PDT

Some folk find the lack of a headphone jack a quality issue.

But they use the same chips and caps so parts? No.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.