Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Mac OS

General discussion

Keeping up with technology

by dh1526 / November 11, 2012 3:24 PM PST

Had Macs all my life but now things are getting complicated.
I have G5 with 10.6.8 and now have bought iPhone 5.
Don't think that I can upgrade to higher OS so that means I am stuck with old 10.6 iTunes. Now....how do I get stuff from my desktop to my new phone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keeping up with technology
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keeping up with technology
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Have you tried updating iTunes?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 8:48 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanx NT
by dh1526 / November 13, 2012 2:07 PM PST

Sorry, I am running G5 PPC 10.5.8 and can't upgrade my iTunes 10.6 to newer version.
Have a laptop MBPro 17" that also runs 10.5.8 but my wife only has an iPhone 3s so if
I upgraded her Leopard to Lion she probably won't be able to sink with the new iTunes.
Gets a bit confusing!!! Why can't iTunes be compatible with all systems? Now, because
I have a new phone, I must buy a new desktop and update all my operating systems as well!
Seems a bit rich. Apple needs to standardize. I also have a Belkin that plugs into my car lighter
and plays my music from the iPod through the car stereo. The 5 has a smaller connection
so this will not fit the Belkin for me to use as a charger. That's another story!

Collapse -
I know what you mean, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thanx NT

we used to have ADB connectors for printers and keyboards, SCSI ports for external hard drives, floppy disk drives for something but all those have gone now.
Remember when ADB was replaced by USB? The only peripheral out there, other than the Apple keyboard, was an Epson printer.
Everything else was obsolete!

The new iPhone 5 connector will work with your Belkin with the aid of a small adapter.

Your G5 has had a good run and, in terms of computer years, is now past its prime and sliding the way of the G4 and G3 machines. Yes, they still run, but the world has moved on without them.

The wife's 3s can be swapped out for a very low fee, sometimes even $0.00, so there would be no problem there.

Just saying

P

Collapse -
Thanks for your patience.....
by dh1526 / November 14, 2012 9:26 AM PST

You mean to tell me that it's time to ditch the G5?
Next I will have to buy all new CS suite because at the mo
I am running CS4. I think I'll try and upgrade the wife's first.
All I wanted was a new phone!!!!
Thanks for your assistance anyway.

Collapse -
Sorry, but that is the price of going to the cutting edge
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 9:05 PM PST

On the subject of CS, check to see if your version is the Universal Binary or the PPC.

If UB, then you are ok and it will run on any Intel driven Mac.
If PPC, then contact Adobe about an upgrade price, rather than purchase a complete new version.

Given that you have a G5, presumably the tower version, then you must have a separate monitor.
Why not give some consideration to the Mac Mini.
You could run that, and the G5, via a KVM switch and have the best of both worlds

Check them out at the Apple store.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.