Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Keep Losing Internet Connection.

by noguchihideyo / March 8, 2004 1:03 PM PST

Ever since I upgraded my operating system to Windows XP Professional, I keep experiencing this very annoying problem of losing my internet connection all the time. It happens every hour or so of normal web browsing but becomes even more often (like every 3-5 mins or up to 30 mins at best) when downloading stuff. To regain my internet connection, I have to unplug my cable modem to reset it, and then restart the computer. Restarting alone won't do the job; which is really weird considering that I can still use my internet for Xbox Live after I lost my connection in Windows. So it seems that the problem is within Windows yet why do I have to reset the modem?!? How do I fix this? Please help. F.Y.I. I don't use any router or hub.

Thank You.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keep Losing Internet Connection.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keep Losing Internet Connection.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Keep Losing Internet Connection.
by Gakada / March 8, 2004 1:28 PM PST

First of all, call your Cable provider and asking if there is a signal problem in your area.

Second, check your home electricity.. changing in voltage can cause your modem to act... try using a voltage stabilizer.

Third, check your cable modem for any problem... Borrow someone else modem and try.. or bring your modem to the expert.

Have a nice day

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2004 8:49 PM PST

Your post neglected to tell if this was an USB MODEM. If so, read about XP USB updates and USB power saving modes (don't!)

Many new to XP upgraders never realize until they are told that Microsoft installs workable motherboard drivers and not the latest.

YOU get to do this or suffer small issues like yours.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Keep Losing Internet Connection.
by noguchihideyo / March 8, 2004 9:21 PM PST

Hello again,

It's a cable modem connected to an Intel Gigabit ethernet card via a RJ-45 cable. And I should emphasize that the modem works fine with on-line console gaming (PS2 & Xbox Live) and when I was still using Windows Me. Also, every driver or BIOS is as up to date as can be.

Thank You.

Collapse -
How do we know?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2004 9:50 PM PST

1. You may state the drivers are uptodate, but some use the Microsoft Driver Update button. Strictly a demo feature. Please write in livid detail about how you know the motherboard and more drivers are uptodate plus you are not in any powersave modes.

2. A new install of XP opens the door to worms. These are NOT STOPPED by any known antivirus. I'll paste in text about parasite detection and removal tools at the close.

3. Moving the Ethernet from Xbox to PC can be "an issue." Some DSL/Cable ISP's detect the network card MAC address and most do odd things for about 24 hours until they register the new MAC address. Fix? Get a DSL/Cable NAT capable Router.

Parasite removal programs. notes the five scanning tools and removal tools that are fairly safe. If one does encounter an issue, its always been damage done by the MALWARE. The most common issue being Layered Service Provider replacement which you can use LSPFIX (Hint: use to find).

The thread has follow on discussions about new links if you don't want to use Google to find an item.

PS. All the tools are free.

Collapse -
by David Chan / March 8, 2004 9:14 PM PST

You could also try changing the patch cable or another Network Card?

Make sure the cable is securely attached to the NIC & Cable Modem.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / March 9, 2004 12:12 AM PST

1. The article [Q314850] explains how to run and use the command line Ipconfig utility (Ipconfig.exe) included with Windows and lists the options used to provide you with diagnostic information related to TCP/IP network configuration. Ipconfig also accepts various Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) commands, allowing a system to update or release its TCP/IP network configuration.

2. If you feel it is necessary to capture the information for reading in a text file, simply add a space, a right arrow ( > ), type the drive, path, and file name wanted before pressing Enter. To display the information on the MS-DOS screen, you can add the pipping and more to the end of the command line: | more

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.