Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

keep getting message" not enough cache memory"

by scout227 / May 19, 2006 1:25 AM PDT

when i try running a program or game! i get this can I up my cache memory . I have over 500 mb memory but casnt find how to upgrade cache. please advise. thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: keep getting message" not enough cache memory"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: keep getting message" not enough cache memory"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CPU Cache?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2006 1:49 AM PDT

Such is now part of the CPU "chip". To increase one would have to change the CPU.

However, what this most likely means is that some game "requirement" is not being met.

Collapse -
Re: not enough cache memory
by Kees Bakker / May 19, 2006 4:53 AM PDT

A google search for "not enough cache memory" (with quotes) doesn't give any useful hits for a Windows PC. Are you sure it's correct to the last letter?

The 512 Mb probably is RAM, and that's about the only thing that's never called 'cache'. There's 512 Kb to 2 Mb cache in your CPU, but that would be transparent for most software. And there's virtual memory needed on the hard disk that's sometimes called cache also. What's your free hard disk space? What are your virtual memory settings (Config Panel>System>Performance)?

Does it happen with ALL programs? Or some? Then tell which ones. For example, can you run IE, Notepad or Outlook Express?

Collapse -
Good virtual memory settings
by Aladeptus / September 16, 2010 6:02 AM PDT

The ideal setting is about 150% of your PC's total RAM. For instance, if the RAM is 512 MB, then you will want to set the virtual memory to 768 MB. And don't forget to tweak the paging file settings (initial and maximum amounts). You can experiment with that until you find a setting that works best on your computer.

Collapse -
not enough memory !!!!!
by scout227 / May 19, 2006 10:48 PM PDT

the actual message says. there is not enough memory avaliable to run this program.......quit one or more programs, and then try again.

this happens when i try run any game and even when i try to put windows updates on my pc. This is a night mare and frustrating,,, can anyone shed light and a resolve on this.thanks

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2006 11:34 PM PDT

This is an example where sharing an incorrect error message resulted in no help to the real problem.

-> The usual cause of that message are these 2 items.

1. The machine was tampered with and the user tweaked the memory settings. Fix? Let Windows manage memory such as we read at
"Bottom line: Let Windows handle it."

2. Pests.
Today's virus, spyware or "pests" result in this message. Eject them all with free tools such as Spybot and more.

In closing if your disk space is low this is possible but your post doesn't suggest this is the issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.