Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Keep Getting Dropped From My Connection

by janenolan / March 15, 2009 9:59 AM PDT

I have been using my desktop with not problem getting onto the internet using Netscape ISP. My hard drive died yesterday so I am using my laptop, but since switching to my laptop I am losing the connection after about 5 minutes. Then I get back on and it happens again after about the dame time. What can be happening? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Keep Getting Dropped From My Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Keep Getting Dropped From My Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
configure again
by Techie_Master / March 19, 2009 8:13 PM PDT

hi . i m also facing this type of problem , so i suggest you make the new connection or re establish the connection. check the cable also.

Collapse -
Please Explain To Me
by janenolan / March 20, 2009 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: configure again

What do you mean restore my connection? I reinstalled my Netscape ISP software and picked a new dialup phone number.

By the way and this is strange but since getting my desktop back with a new hard drive it is happening to the desktop also. I moved the unit to another room thinking it was the phone connection in the room, but it does it in another room also. I am running XP. Any suggestions. Thanks

Collapse -
More Information About My Problem
by janenolan / March 20, 2009 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Please Explain To Me

Somewhere under a modem icon in Control Panel I managed to see a message saying "connection timed out" and "Code 44". Can this relate to what is happening to me? Help me!

Collapse -
Problem Might Be Solved
by janenolan / March 21, 2009 1:28 AM PDT

I turned off the Windows Firewall and all seems ok so far. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I might install a free firewall that I used to use called Comodo. I never had a problem with Comodo.

Collapse -
No Luck. Still Getting Disconnected
by janenolan / March 22, 2009 3:12 AM PDT

I even uninstalled XP SP3 thinking this was the problem as my computer before my hard drive died and they installed SP3 was staying connected. But even after uninstalling sp3, I am still getting disconnected.

I want to stay with dial up due to paying $9.95 monthly. I am thinking of getting rid of Netscape ISP, which I have used with no problmes for the last 3 years and going with either People PC or even AARP has an inexpensive ISP.

I hate to get rid of Netscape ISP. Any other suggestions? By the way I don't hear any noise on the phone line, but plan to call my phone company to check it out anyway.

Collapse -
Finally Know What Was Causing This Problem
by janenolan / April 7, 2009 11:55 PM PDT

I uninstalled Sypware Blaster and now I am not getting disconnected at all.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.