Windows Vista forum

General discussion

KB943302 won't install

by A.L. / January 8, 2008 11:40 PM PST

KB943302 fails to install, error 800736CC and after restarting Background Intelligent transfer service I get the same failure with a new error code. 80080008.
Is any one else having a problem with this update?
Vista Home Premium
2GB
Intel core 2 duo 1.5 Ghz
I've checked out MS knowledge base and Google, nothing helpful there.so now I'll run it by all of you and see if some one can help. Ann

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: KB943302 won't install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: KB943302 won't install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you use ANY of the software listed at link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2008 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: KB943302 won't install
Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by A.L. / January 9, 2008 3:21 AM PST

I have I.E. 7 installed (I use Firefox) and a trial version of Roxie.
I'll take your advice and forget about it.
Ann

Collapse -
Sorry. Tripped over a possible fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2008 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

What you will need to do to fix this is get the updater to fetch the files again for your failed updates. To accomplish this requires some slightly complicated steps:

1) Go to your "Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder. You should see a bunch of folders with random looking names

2) Look in each of these folders until you find one that has a .cab file with a name that contains the update number that failed (i.e.
Windows6.0-KB943302-x86-EXPRESS.cab or something similar). If you can't find the cab file there should be some other file in the folder that indicates its number.

3) Backup then delete the entire folder (the one with the random looking name) that contains that cab file (I never backup this one, but some need this as a warm fuzzy step.)

4) Repeat for each of the updates that are failing for you

5) You might have to reboot at this point but I didn't have to

6) Either wait for the updater to notify you or manually check for updates

7) The updates should be available for download again

Cool Let the updater download and apply the previously failed updates and it should work this time

If this is too complicated, toss a rock in the general direction of Redmond. Also, more ideas at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Windows%5CSoftwareDistribution%5CDownload

Bob

Collapse -
Failed update
by A.L. / January 9, 2008 6:57 AM PST

Again, thank you Bob and no, it's not too complicated but after reading the the link from MS. in your last post,see below, I've decided not to install it.
I will save the "possible fix" that you posted, might come in handy if this issue occurs with other updates.
Ann
"Note After you install this update, a CD device or a DVD device may not work correctly. If you select the device in Device Manager and if you then view the properties for the device, you may receive the following error message:
The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)
This problem occurs because an earlier application may install drivers that are incompatible with Windows Vista."

Collapse -
Just me grumbling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2008 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Failed update

Dang it MS. If it's broken like that, don't release it till you sort it out!

Collapse -
I also had problems with this file
by nelxenia / January 10, 2008 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: KB943302 won't install

I downloaded automatically this file and started to hae serious problems with my Word 2007, and its compatibility with EndNotes X1. I uninstalled the file and the problem disappeared. Do not install this file.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.