Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

K-Lite codec cut video playback in half?

by cataluna0212 / February 24, 2013 5:40 AM PST

I had some .mkv files with dual audio, so I downloaded the latest K-Lite codec pack. It fixed the audio problem, but now when I play it on WMP, only half of the video is available. For example, a 45-minute video will play just fine for the first 22 min. or so, and then stop abruptly. The Now Play window would also display the clip as 22:30 long instead of 45:00. Does anyone know how to fix this so that WMP will play each video in its entirety? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!

cataluna0212 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: K-Lite codec cut video playback in half?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: K-Lite codec cut video playback in half?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cataluna0212

Collapse -
Grrrr...WMP not good
by Willy / February 25, 2013 11:32 PM PST

I consider that WMP is broken. It just wasn't made to appeal to wide-spread use across all the video/audio out there. Thus outside codecs have to be brought into the mix. While that generally works well, sometimes it doesn't -OR- past updates or installs for mass appeal has finally broken WMP. WMP by its own nature is restrive and can fall down all too easily. If possible try to totally remove it and re-stall again. -OR- upgrade to the next level of WMP if possible like from WMP 9 to 10, etc.. IMHO, I've moved on to other players like VLC or whatever works.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by cataluna0212 / February 26, 2013 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Grrrr...WMP not good

Hi, all. OP here. Thank you everyone for your help. I've actually tried playing the files on VLC. While the time stamps do show that each clip is 44-45 min. long, when it gets to that halfway mark, the video cuts out and gets all messed up. The audio is intact though. I've fiddled with various decoders and media players and the results have been more or less the same. At this time, I'm thinking the clips themselves are corrupted Sad

I'll take R. Proffitt's advice and try to convert the .mkv to something else and see if I'll have better luck then. I don't think I've worked with .mkv files before...are they usually this tricky?

Anyway, thanks again, everyone!

Collapse -
Good to read this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: clarification

VLC has been nearly the gold standard for playback of corrupt files. That is, I've seen WMP crash and burn (crash you know, burn = the OS and PC reboots) while VLC just looks dazed until it finds more video or audio it can decode.

If the clips don't play on all your computers, it's a safe bet they are corrupt.

Collapse -
MKV files
by Willy / February 26, 2013 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: clarification

No thought MKV files aren't the original source of files where they initially came from. It too was converted from the source to make MKV. It may have gotten corrupted in the process or further down the road when yet again it gets converted. You can see where the process has the chance to get hosed. If it happens at the same time spot, then you can consider that the MKV file was hosed at that point from where it was converted or its process, even if you had nothing to do with it. These things do happen and sometimes you to have to repeat the source process in all likelihood.

FYI- When I stumbled upon VLC I considered it a God send and has proven itself over and over again. Have you by chance tried DVDfab player and/or preview it there? I hope it works for ya, later. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 5:43 AM PST

Some codecs are broken so when you find that you report it and try an older version.

But why use a codec at all? Why not use VLC Player?

Collapse -
PS. Second idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: True!

Transcode the file into something that works. Since you are playing with codecs, klite and more, I think you are an expert in such work.

Collapse -
I have never understood
by sonymaster101 / February 25, 2013 11:07 PM PST

Why anybody uses codec packs (CCCP the like) as oppose to programs that just have good native file support like VLC. FAR less hassle. Windows media player really is a pretty grisly general media playback solution IMO.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.