TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

by timmayh / February 16, 2007 2:13 PM PST

Are there any ways of eliminating the jutter problem found with 2:3 Pulldown that actually work? Does using a progressive scan fix the issue or is the problem with jutter unrelated to the type of scan that is being used?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jutter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jutter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) jargon. not on wikipedia. explain please.
by NM_Bill / February 16, 2007 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: Jutter
Collapse -
by timmayh / February 17, 2007 7:07 AM PST

It's the bounciness of the image that is caused by the 2:3 transfer that causes the image to kind of jut across the screen. It's a term that has been used on this site quite a bit when talking about 2:3 pull-down and on some other sites but I'm not sure if they are referring to the same jagged edges that you get when using an interlaced scan or if they are referring to something completely different. If they are referring to something different, are there any ways of counteracting the problem that are more successful than the attempt at making a 3:3 pull-down which caused different picture problems.

Collapse -
by givemeaname / February 17, 2007 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: jutter

Some types of TVs' handle it very good, no artifacting/jitter, LCDs' are the worst but with 120hz lcd coming that should help them a lot in this. RP (DPL & LCos) & CRT are the best but for LCD RP can have some jitter.
It is how good a tv can handle a digital source & also how it handles taking an analog signal & turning it into digital.

Collapse -
my image sometimes freezes for a moment...
by bklynrickel / February 17, 2007 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: Jitter....

as if the tv is trying to catch up with the picture. is that an example of jutter?

Collapse -
by givemeaname / February 18, 2007 11:07 AM PST

is caused because of signal drop, this can happen at the location of the event being recorded, such as a live event. This can also happen because of snow on your dish, lots of tree blocking your dish ect... Solar flares can even interfere with tv reception even if you have cable, because most of the channels are being bounced off a satellite at some point & solar flares have damaged commutation satellites in the past.
If the image freezes for a few seconds on a live event or prerecorded event, it is part because of the camera/software used. If a signal drop happens the last image received will stay up untile the signal is re-established. You see this a lot if there using a helicopter for shots.

Collapse -
i read something about motorola set top boxes...
by bklynrickel / February 18, 2007 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: Freezing..

being a cause. i have comcast and apparently the stb cant keep pace with the 1080 signal. thought it was my tv at first, but appears to be a common problem instead.

Collapse -
Are they dvr units?
by givemeaname / February 19, 2007 6:34 AM PST

I have been throw 3 dvr in 5 years. They would start freezing alittle here then there as they get older. It gets to the piont that I have to unplug the dvr to get it going again & sometimes this would happen a few times a day; that is when I call dishnetwork & have them send me a 'new' one.

Collapse -
by timmayh / February 19, 2007 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Are they dvr units?

We recently had to replace our Tivo because it started to get a bsod with increasing frequency and the colors were getting distorted. The unit was probably about 3 years old but the problem may have also been due the receiver initially being in our basement which had moisture problems.

Collapse -
no... mine is just an hdtv box.
by bklynrickel / February 19, 2007 8:31 PM PST
In reply to: Are they dvr units?

doesn't happen with ota channels - mainly with hd.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.