TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Just got a Panasonic Blu-ray Model DMP-BD605 and wondering..

by crissi0884 / July 24, 2009 11:00 AM PDT

How can you tell if you need firmware update....I went to and registered my product...went to support to find the firmware updates and can't find them...

On the Blu-ray how do I find out what firmware version I have so I know if there is a new firmware update on the website or if I have the latest version.

Thank you for your time and patience...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just got a Panasonic Blu-ray Model DMP-BD605 and wondering..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just got a Panasonic Blu-ray Model DMP-BD605 and wondering..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Dan Filice / July 24, 2009 3:35 PM PDT

First, have you looked in your owner's manual? I have a BD-35K and in the manual's index there is a page called "Firmware Upgrades" on page 14. Second, I don't think you looked very hard at the Panasonic site because you would have ended up here: That should be all you need. Happy

Collapse -
I was going to not
by crissi0884 / July 24, 2009 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Ummm...

So maybe that was the problem....I didn't see any for DMP-BD605 model

Collapse -
It may be too new
by Dan Filice / July 25, 2009 2:17 AM PDT

If your BR player is a new model it may take awhile before it shows up on the Panny site, and there may not be any firmware updates needed yet. If I recall, there should be a search box on the Panny site where you can simply type in your model and all it's info pops up, including a link for support specific to the model. If your player is a new model, my suggestion is to use it and enjoy it, then check for updates in 6 months.

Collapse -
More info
by Dan Filice / July 25, 2009 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: It may be too new

I did a Google search on your model and found several links that describe your player as being exactly the same as the DMP-BD60, but that it comes with a free HDMI cable. So, any firmware updates for the DMP-BD60 should be the same for your player. Also, take a look at your owners manual on or around page 16. It should give instructions on how to do firmware updates.

Collapse -
So how do I check what firmware version
by crissi0884 / July 25, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

Is on the blu-ray now? I can't find that in the setup...

Thank you so much for your help

Collapse -
Here's how
by Dan Filice / July 25, 2009 10:30 AM PDT

I found this on the Panasonic site for my BD player, and I'm sure it's the same for yours:

"I saw on the web that there is a firmware update for my model BD player. How do I see which firmware version is installed in my unit?

After turning the unit on, press the ?Setup? button on the unit?s remote control. Once in ?Setup,? use the down arrow and highlight ?Display? and press OK. Next, press the ?Status? button on the remote and the firmware version will be displayed on the lower right hand side of the displayed menu."

Collapse -
BD605 Firmware
by will.melmoth / January 9, 2010 4:38 AM PST

Unfortunately no one really answered the question asked about "how" you check the firmware installed. It is not covered in the manual. The manual just says how to upgrade the firmware online and that if you don't have it connected you can download the latest firmware from a pc and install it from a CD. However it never bothers to say "how" to install it from CD.

Collapse -
BD605 firmware upgrade from CD
by will.melmoth / January 9, 2010 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: BD605 Firmware

Okay, I finally got this done now: First I missread the "here's how" response above, found if go into SETUP, scroll down to DISPLAY, and then hit the STATUS button it does briefly display the firmware version at bottom right. The machine I bought only two weeks ago was running 2.0 so I downloaded a 2.2 version at the website. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes to speak to a Panasonic service rep. I gave up and just burned the file to a CD-R (make sure you finalize the CD). Put it in the unit, it read the CD, it said Bye then displayed "FrU" for a minute or so, then "MAIN" for another few minutes and then "FINISH" and ejected the CD and the display went blank (apparently it had powered off). I waited awhile to make sure it was done and then hit the power button. It came up and now shows version 2.2

Collapse -
Successfully Updated to the latest firmware
by dawool / October 14, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

I bought our Panasonic Blu-ray Model DMP-BD605 several years ago... We were having periodic (often) problems with one of my favorite features: Amazon Streaming Video... I use the Cisco/Linksys WET610N Wireless Dual-Band N to connect the DVD player RG-45 connector to our wireless router. First, I upgraded the firmware on the that device using the link above. The problems seemed to persist.

Next, upon reading the thread here, I decided to see how my device firmware (v1.1) compared to the latest firmware. As as 10/14/2013, the latest version is v2.64 dated 4/16/2012. I decided that I would give this a try. You will need:

- Check your current version (Press Setup --> Choose Display --> Press Status Button)
- Download the latest firmware from Panasonic.

- ISO image creation software... I used Free ISO Create Wizard to create ISO-9660 image (without Joliet encoding).</div>- CDROM Burner software (Windows Vista/7/8 standard file copy doesn't seem to work)... I used Free ISO Burner.
- Install the firmware. Just insert the new CD. It should restart, display a few cryptic messages, then EJECT the CD.

For more information, follow the detailed instructions on Panasonic's support site.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.