Windows 7

General discussion

Just bought new win7 64bit desktop upgradeable to 18g ram

by dksullivan_99 / October 10, 2010 8:18 AM PDT

I would like to know what is the best ram or memory cards to buy, it has 5gig ram now, 2-2gigs of ram and then 1 gig of ram DDR3 SDRAM - non-ECC
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR3). Should I leave the ram in it and buy just more ram? Can I buy like two 4 gig ram and put in with these? It has two slots open. What is the best way to go and what is the best ram for the price? any ideas?
thanks, Deb

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just bought new win7 64bit desktop upgradeable to 18g ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just bought new win7 64bit desktop upgradeable to 18g ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Crucial.com
by MDFlax / October 10, 2010 9:38 PM PDT

I would visit;
http://www.crucial.com/
and let it scan your system. They will tell you which RAM your system can take.

But if your question is whether your system 'needs' more RAM, then we can't say. 5GB seems good to me. Are you maxing out on RAM at all?

Mark

Collapse -
Crucial.com
by dksullivan_99 / October 11, 2010 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Crucial.com

Thanks, I should have remembered that place that last time I upgraded my ram on my old pc. No, I am not using hardly any. But I take alot of photos and have to edit and keep alot of files for my online store. So I figure I might as well be prepared. I had 3 gig in the older pc. And it was stuffed to the max.
Thanks a bunch, I forgot all about that place!
Deb

Collapse -
Some thing to consider.
by bob b / October 11, 2010 1:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well, storage and RAM are two different things.
by MDFlax / October 11, 2010 5:24 AM PDT

Storage for photos doesn't depend on memory, (RAM). It depends on hard disk space, so maybe you are confusing the two?

Your hard disk is bound to be much larger than 5 GB.

Mark

Collapse -
Well, storage and RAM are two different things.
by dksullivan_99 / October 11, 2010 8:38 AM PDT

Hi, I am aware of that. I got 1 Tig of internal space and 1TG of a external hard drive. When you run a online store, and all files are kept on your pc, it fills rather quickly. And I miss stated I can upgrade to 16gig of ram. But I am fine for the moment as I just got hooked up last nite. But it won't be long, between files and backups. I don't won't this one puffing and growling like my other good pc. Which I am giving a well deserved rest after a good cleaning. Thanks for all your help. The prices at Crucial at alot better than at tigerdirect.
thanks all for the great answers!
Deb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.