Just Bought a new Lap Top...

by teknowhead / November 10, 2007 5:19 PM PST

I just bought a Lap Top (HP Pavilion Dv6636nr)...Specs are:
Amd Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 1.9GHz
2Gb Ram
160GB HD
Nvidia Geforce 7150M
Windows Vista Home Premium

And I am not too satisfied with the performance of Windows Vista, So I was wondering If I should Downgrade it to Windows XP....I'm pretty sure the performance would improve drastically with XP...but I was wondering, Should I..?...Does anyone recommend this, IF SO...WHAT WILL I NEED???

I appreciate your help...Thanx in advanced...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Just Bought a new Lap Top...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Just Bought a new Lap Top...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A lot of people are doing it. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 10, 2007 8:48 PM PST

Vista is still broken.

You'll need a full copy of XP, the upgrade might work. You'll also need all the drivers for your video, audio, NIC, wireless card, modem, etc. You'll need to get these at the HP site as XP does not have them. You'll need to boot from the XP CD then format the drive and install XP. The laptop may have a recovery partition that will contain the recovery programs for Vista. You can leave it alone or delete it, your choice. If you leave it you can revert back to Vista.

It'll cost you a few bucks for the XP CD but it'll be worth it.

Collapse -
Over in our Vista forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2007 11:18 PM PST

Are discussions about installing XP and tips about getting a little more from Vista.

Bob

Collapse -
My Chat With HP
by RandomHero4507 / February 7, 2008 4:01 AM PST

Harold: Hello Joshua
Harold: Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks.This is Harold. How may I help you today?
Joshua : Hi I have an HP Pavilion dv6636nr Laptop Computer. I want to know about the Windows Vista Downgrade to XP
Harold: Thank you for the information provided.
Harold: Do Not Downgrade to Windows XP and Restoring Windows Vista
Harold: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01092639&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Harold: Please copy the entire URL and paste it in a new window of Internet Explorer. Then open the link from there.
Harold: Please refer the above weblink
Joshua : So Hp will not provide drivers?
Joshua : Hello?
Harold: Yes, I am online
Harold: Joshua, if you still want to install XP after going through the weblink information I can goahead and provide you the drivers.
Joshua : I would like that very much
Harold: Let me know the model name and the processor of your notebook
Joshua : Pavilion dv6636nr
Harold: Is the processor Intel OR amd
Joshua : Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58
Joshua : 1.9
Harold: Thank you for confirming the same.
Harold: Here are the drivers for XP
Harold: 1. NVIDIA GeForce Series Video Driver for Windows XP..

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33537.exe
Harold: 2. NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver and Network Controller for Windows XP.
Note: This package provides the driver for the NVIDIA nForce Chipset and Network Controller

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33411.exe
Harold: 3. UAA drivers to enable the audio hardware for Windows XP.
Note: It is strongly recomended to install ths driver before you install the audio driver. If you do not install this driver the audio will not work.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33867.exe
Harold: 4. Conexant High Definition Audio Driver for Windows XP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34001-34500/sp34200.exe
Harold: 5. Conexant HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem driver for windows XP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33742.exe
Harold: 6.Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Windows XP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34001-34500/sp34152.exe
Harold: 7. HP Quick Launch Buttons for Windows XP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33258.exe
Harold: 8. Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Driver for Windows XP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33413.exe
Harold: 9.Software and Drivers for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless for Windows XP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32883.exe
Harold: 10.HP Pavilion Webcam Driver for Windows XP.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35001-35500/sp35414.exe
Harold: Please copy the entire URL and paste it in a new window of Internet Explorer. Then open the link from there.
Harold: For your convenience, I would send this chat transcript to your e-mail address after we finish the chat. Once you receive it, you may then follow the steps mentioned in the transcript.

Collapse -
No Luck
by DeepSix1963 / March 8, 2008 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: My Chat With HP

Thanks , But I still have No Sound running XP... any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Can you share your conversation with HP and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2008 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: No Luck

Detail the drivers, the order you used them in?

Collapse -
No luck?
by pcmike5982 / February 15, 2009 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: No Luck

Did you install service pack 3? I am not recommending it, but I have seemed to have problems with onboard sound and service pack 3. Not been able to confirm this yet but it has happened on 3 AMD computers I built.

Collapse -
This...
by 1shado1 / February 16, 2009 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: No luck?

@pcmike5982,

Whole thread took place before the release of service pack 3. : )

Collapse -
pcmike5982 is right
by sophiadun / June 18, 2009 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: This...

@1shado1
The OP started the post in Nov. 2007 before SP3 released so he didn't say his sound problem.

DeepSix1963 said his had no sound in Mar. 2008, after SP3 released.

I had a very old laptop pre-installed with xp. recently, I reinstalled the OS with sp3 then after installing the drivers there was no sound. It took me a while to figure it out so I reinstalled the OS again and installing the drivers first before installing sp3, it worked , I got sound back.

Collapse -
sound drivers for XP
by patrickberridge / October 5, 2009 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: pcmike5982 is right

Im having the same problem with my Amilo L7320.Where did you download the drivers from?? I went to the Fujitsu support site and the model was not shown on the product support list so I didnt attempt to load any other drivers as I dont know which would work.

I had exchanged an old laptop for a newer version and had to replace the HD due to failure.The engineer installed a new OS with XPSP3 and when it was done he warned me that some sound drivers were missing.
Im not sure what to do now as Ive not got the system disks nor have I got a recovery disk.This is the problem with used laptops!!

Any advice is very welcome.

Adrian.

Collapse -
Read this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2009 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: sound drivers for XP
Collapse -
If you just bought the laptop new
by orlbuckeye / October 6, 2009 3:12 AM PDT

you should be eligible for the windows 7 free upgrade. Goto the HP page and go to the free winodws upgrade and it will ask you about serial and tell you if you are eligible. You will see XP support getting less and less after Windows 7 is released. You can also upgrade your memory to 3 or 4 gig for less then 50.

Collapse -
Gateway Computer
by jereece / May 21, 2010 10:17 AM PDT

This is a Gateway laptop, not HP.

Collapse -
This discussion seems to be about a HP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2010 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Gateway Computer

And it's from 2007.

Right or wrong, jumping into old discussions can confuse everyone. If you have a new discussion, start a new discussion.

-> But here's the point from above. Read that chat with HP and get that chat with Gateway.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.