Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

jpg will not open except with Quicktime Picture Viewer

by earlleatherland / March 18, 2010 2:44 AM PDT

JPGs were created as Photoshop (CS4) .PSD files. I then saved a copy as JPGs. I can only open them with Quicktime Picture Viewer and no other graphic display. Why is this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: jpg will not open except with Quicktime Picture Viewer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: jpg will not open except with Quicktime Picture Viewer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Then they are not JPG
by ChuckT / March 18, 2010 7:16 AM PDT

Windows can even use Internet Explorer to open a JPG, and there is also MS Paint, too. There are a lot of viewers that can open JPG.

There is the possibility that what you think are JPG, may not be. Depending upon your Windows setup you may not be seeing the real filename extension.

Collapse -
by earlleatherland / March 19, 2010 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Then they are not JPG

I don't know how to change the windows settings, but will search around for it, unless someone wants to give me a hint?

When I open the files in Quicktime Picture Viewer, it puts "name.jpg" in the top left of the window for the image.

Also, I opened the code in Notepad, but have no idea what I would be looking for. It's like opening up the hood of a car when you have never done it before. Nothing looks familiar and you're afraid if you touch something the entire mechanism will never work again.

Collapse -
Changing settings
by ChuckT / March 19, 2010 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Understoood

If the Quicktime Picture Viewer application is defined on your computer, also called associated to, JPG files, then that is the one application that will be defaulted to open your JPG files.

You can change that association. Usually, when you install some applications that can be used to work with some files, you can opt to use that application to open those types of files.

For example, if you install some media player, then it may default to open all sorts of media files (WAV, MP3, etc.). If that is not what you want to happen then you have to ensure that you deselect that option.

But, if you missed that point during the install of your QuickTime application, you can still change it more to what you want.

Just click on a JPG file, do a right-mouse click and see if there is an [Open with] command. If so, then select that and see what other applications you can select from to use. Your desired application may not appear, and if not then you have to use the selection to [Choose default program] command to drill down to the program you want to use.

Note: if you are sure that is the program you want to use now and every time from now, make sure the "Always use the selected program ..." is checked. otherwise the choice you make now will not be remembered for the next JPG you try to open.

Collapse -
Have tried that multiple times.
by earlleatherland / March 20, 2010 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Changing settings

I have tried to open the jpg files in everything. I have used every media product I have that reads jpgs. But, when I try to open them in Opera, Safari, IE, or PowerPoint for that matter, they will not open. they only open in QT Picture Viewer, and it is not my default viewer.

Collapse -
Sometimes it is just a user confusion
by ChuckT / March 20, 2010 7:09 AM PDT

I can't explain why your browsers can't open those JPG pictures, perhaps you are not using the correct commands? Powerpoint is not a JPG viewer. You can use it to place a JPG in a slide, but to use it as a viewer is not its purpose. If you want a great, free graphic viewer, get IrfanView. I have it on all my computers.

I am not saying you ARE doing something wrong, but you may be confusing just how to use an application. I have seen, sometimes, where a person says "I tried that!" or "I tried everything!" and yet when I show up and do exactly what I have told them to do ... it just works. (?? I don't think their computer hates them. Wink )

So, let's see if there is something wrong with any of your files, first, to at least rule that out. Just eMail me (you can do that by clicking on my name and clicking on the link to eMail me). When I get your eMail name, I will send you my eMail name and you can then send me one or two of your files.

If I see nothing peculiar with your pictures I can then, perhaps, walk you through the steps to get your PC working correctly again.

Collapse -
same problem no solution
by namrorrimmirrorman / January 26, 2011 9:30 AM PST

I bought two cd-roms a while back "penthouse select a pet" and the cd-rom was designed to run as a program in which you viewed the files on your PC by way of the quicktime image viewer.
However, as time went on and version of windows went by, it was no longer feasable to "try" to load the overlay program to see the pictures.
So, I tried in many ways and many times to view the ".JPG files using all kinds of image viewers and they always rejected the file.
I have a 2.2ghz dual core, and older 1.1ghz, as well as the 2ghz laptop I'm writing on, and these images STILL can only be opened by installing the very old version of quicktime viewer and opening each file independantly.
I've searched the net about once a year or so to try and find a way to convert, or batch convert these quicktime viewer only .JPG files to no avail.
I've tried everything mentioned here to no avail.
Somehow the .jpg format they were presented in was somehow exclusive to that version of quicktime image viewer and not even the most recent image viewers I have used will open them.

Collapse -
Media players can be unique players
by ChuckT / February 3, 2011 8:13 AM PST

Those files on very proprietary disks, like a Penthouse set of pictures would be, are going to have special picture formats (if they are even seen as separate files) that will only be viewable in whatever type of player is on the disk. They (the people who made the disk) do not what you to freely distribute the pictures elsewhaere.

So, I am guessing that while the pictures may show ".jpg" on the files ... they probably are not. That is only to confuse you (or anybody) when you try to send them, or store them, elsewhere.

The one way that they can not stop you to store off the files in any method you want, is to do a screen capture per each new image on the screen. The quality of the captured image is not going to be any higher than your screen resolution though.

Collapse -
Same problem
by DeathIncarnate23 / August 19, 2012 5:46 PM PDT

I have the exact same problem. I was editing files for a friend on photoshop cs3 and was overwriting the original files with the edited versions. Eventually I just ended up saving as a jpg instead of clicking save. I can't open any of the pictures I changed to jpg in windows picture viewer, live picture viewer, paint, cs3, or any other viewer. It only works on quicktime picture viewer. Sadly I can't change the file type since it claims it is a jpg. My suggestion would to just instead of trying to save it as a jpg, just click save and overwrite the file. If you want to gain any of the pictures that are corrupted back, I found that opening them on quicktime picture viewer, clicking copy, and pasting them onto a new file on photoshop seems to work well. I don't know why they won't open, but at least you can get your pictures back.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.