Camcorders

Question

join 37min avchd files and burn to standard dvd

by recordrecorder / October 19, 2013 2:47 PM PDT

Dear Experts,

can you tell me beginner how I can join my three, 37min each-AVCHD files in which our video was chopped by the friends' camcorder (they are each almost 2GB so I assume the camcorder has some auto-limit there), quickly (and with which freeware) and burn it to a standard (single-layer) DVD a normal computer (or dvd-player) can render?
I tried some "muxing" tool which I now guess does not append the three to a single one (which I intended) but combines audio and video files into a single one?
I have a windows 7 SP1 64-bit machine with i3 CPU and 4GB RAM.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: join 37min avchd files and burn to standard dvd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: join 37min avchd files and burn to standard dvd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Iffy
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2013 3:49 PM PDT

Since Video DVD is by definition a standard I'll skip all that has been written about how you will lose quality. Look up DVD FLICK and check the tutorial on how to convert the AVCHD files for use.

It's free, widely and deeply documented and I've shortchanged you heavily on what folk usually scream about next.
Bob

Collapse -
interesting
by recordrecorder / October 19, 2013 6:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Iffy

Thanks Bob -

It seems I already managed to join the three files using TSmuxer and eac3to; but:

I want to slice the video it into chapters also, for this DVD Flick does not entirely suit my purpose, since I understand it can only divide it in fixed-sized chunks? If so, is there any (free) other (at best small) tool to divide the MTS video in arbitrary chapters? Or, would it be better to first convert it into VOB by some tool and then divide it into chapters?

Good hint, thanks already!

Collapse -
Chapters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2013 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: interesting

Are not slices. Chapters are just marks in the timeline to skip to. So to get arbitrary chapters you have to use better software. http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/AVI_to_DVD_using_DVD_Flick_page3.html shows that we could set the chapters to a few minutes as you can see there.

-> Given how CODECs are used to make this work, you would only convert to VOB if your set of installed CODECs fail.
Bob

PS. I'm making big assumptions about your knowledge of how video works in Windows. I can't put a full tutorial here.

Collapse -
need smaller format
by recordrecorder / October 26, 2013 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Chapters.

Hi, it seems that I need to convert it into a different format since my 90min AVCHD file, after I managed to trim it using Avidemux, does not fit on a DVD, having 4.8GB (4.740.000KB) in AVCHD (.ts) size, is that correct? If so, what format would you suggest and what would be the easiest way to convert it there (with a free software)?

If not, ok so I guess for chaptering I need another software.

The chaptering is of lower priority for me now.
As you might see, I do not bear a substantial knowledge on how video works in Windows, so I would be grateful for a link to a (short) introduction to that for Dummies.

Thanks!

Collapse -
This is where I use dual layer DVDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2013 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: need smaller format

It fits fine on those.
Bob

Collapse -
Want to use my mass of single-layers...
by recordrecorder / October 28, 2013 5:04 PM PDT

...first, and also I want another clip (similar sized) to go on there, too.
What should I use? HDTV2DVD?

Collapse -
In your case, whatever works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2013 5:32 PM PDT

With the cost of media being so low I picked up a small batch of dual layer for the odd thing. However it seems like today I rarely make a DVD but put it on some HDD and play it over the network.
Bob

Collapse -
well, but I would like to learn what (free) tool and how...
by recordrecorder / October 28, 2013 5:48 PM PDT

... it works. How about using another, smaller format, mp4 for example?
Any help anybody?
Thanks.

Collapse -
Dead end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 5:27 AM PDT

Video DVD standards dictate MPEG2 and has so little leeway that maybe we will have to discuss something else.

Will a Data DVD do for this? That is, if you make it into a MP4, will the resulting file be 4'ish GB and fit?

I'm sorry that you are not happy with my answers but I did shortchange you heavily on what Video DVD standards are. Did you need to discuss that?
Bob

Collapse -
mp4
by recordrecorder / October 29, 2013 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead end.

I will try to convert it to mp4, it seems to be much smaller.
I just guess I need more basic introductions to how video works in Windows, or some suggestion of more tools to try out...
thanks anyway for taking time...
cheers

Collapse -
The problem is how video works on "Windows"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: mp4

Is all over the map. You can take 10 versions of Windows and have 10 plus answers.

However if you go with your first post and want a Video DVD that plays on most DVD Players then you are in a straight jacket of a standard. There are good web sites detailing all about that standard and Windows has nothing to do with that except we may use Windows apps to create a Video DVD.

Nod to DVD FLICK and its fine tutorials if you want another app to try.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.