The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Jobs leaving to address health; COO T. Cook takes helm..

by shawnlin / January 14, 2009 9:10 PM PST
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090115/apple_jobs.html
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99374026
excerpt:
"During the past week I have learned that my health-related issues are more complex than I originally thought," he wrote.

Apple's chief operating officer, Tim Cook, will take over Jobs' responsibilities while he is on leave.

I wish Jobs well and I think the MacHeads may react differently than Wall Street. Apple as a whole - it's got lots of momentum and support beyond its walls especially since a growing population now genuinely cares about easy to use GUI and aesthetically pleasing design...so I don't see much to fret about.
Regarding after hours trading of Apple - looks like a lot of investors got their panties in a bunch...

Best,
Shalin
(disclosure: I own some AAPL)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jobs leaving to address health; COO T. Cook takes helm..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jobs leaving to address health; COO T. Cook takes helm..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Molly's prediction came true
by jodydz / January 14, 2009 11:38 PM PST

Jan 15 and Steve Jobs has announced his medical leave.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10142947-37.html

The question now is whether he will actually come back in June as stated.

Personally, I think he is stepping out of the Apple picture completely and the company is revealing whatever health condition this is in a slow fashion so that the stock can adjust gradually instead of suddenly. It is unfortunate that the value of a multi-billion dollar co is hinged on one person's health. What about redundancy and the old "what to do if xx was hit by a bus" contingency?

I hope stepping out of the leadership role will allow him to fully focus on his health and healing, my sense is this is pretty serious and possibly terminal.

Hang in there real Steve Jobs.

Collapse -
So
by Nicholas Buenk / January 15, 2009 12:21 AM PST

Steve Jobs, Molly Wood and Ricardo Montalban gone... all in one day. Jeeze.

Speaking on behalf of MacHeads, I can say the main fear is the loss of the chief perfectionist.
I don't think the company really needs him so much for strategy or to give keynotes, I think the management team is quite competent. They need him to tell them when what they did, sucks. He's a very hands on CEO, uses the devices as they are being developed and sends list of criticisms to the engineers and tells them what they have to aim for.

Collapse -
Found this great article
by Nicholas Buenk / January 16, 2009 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: So
Collapse -
Time for Woz?
by DKhoji / January 15, 2009 4:14 AM PST

Don't get me wrong, I greatly admire Steve and think that most of what he has done with Apple has been visionary and brilliant -- always counterpointed by at least one factor in almost every single product that totally p***es me off. But it would be very interesting to see a completely new Book of the Apple Saga with Woz at the help. I don't think it has any chance of happening, but it would certainly be interesting, considering that Woz has more belief in freedom and putting engineering quality and user choice ahead of the bottom line.

Collapse -
Typo...
by DKhoji / January 15, 2009 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: Time for Woz?

That was supposed to read "...with Woz at the helm".

My kingdom for an Edit Post feature...

Collapse -
Woz can't run a business
by Nicholas Buenk / January 15, 2009 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Time for Woz?

He's a far to kind and pure soul, he's a hacker and a geek, he jailbreaks his iPhone and encourages people to do so because he feels it was wrong of Apple to lock it down. He'd be better suited to run a Linux distro.

Collapse -
But that's exactly why it would be interesting...
by DKhoji / January 16, 2009 2:35 PM PST

...admitted, it's not going to happen, but I don't think it would be a disaster and it would certainly be different. My feeling about Apple at the moment is that they are in the middle of making the same kind of mistake that AirWalk made when they tried to go mainstream (as described in Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point"): They stopped making special lines of shoes for the specialty shops frequented by the cutting-edge skaters and gave them the same standard shoes they were making for the mass market. As a result the "opinion leaders" lost interest in them and the whole company lost its appeal. Apple is doing exactly the same thing by progressively "consumerizing" its products: For example, a MacBook without Firewire may be fine for mass consmers, but it is not interesting for the "cool geeks" who actually play a key role in making the computer attractive for the mass market in the first place.

Collapse -
I don't really agree
by Nicholas Buenk / January 16, 2009 3:54 PM PST

Apple has always required some means of positioning the MacBook Pro as a superior choice for the professionals/geeks. It used to be the GPU and Aluminium case. It's now Firewire. That is probably doing a better job of catering to their user base actually, because it brings the GPU and Aluminium case to a wider audience, they are rather infact brining their speciality products to consumers!

Collapse -
The MacBookPro is also consumerized
by DKhoji / January 17, 2009 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: I don't really agree

They have eliminated the matte screen and the Firewire 400 port which means that you need an adapter for FW400 devices and can no longer easily connect FW400 and FW800 at the same time. And the 17" MBP now has a non-removable battery, the height of consumerization. Apple will argue that it now gets eight hours of life but that translates to 4 hours in real life for professional work and you can also no longer easily replace the battery yourself -- although you can now have a matte screen as an additional extra. Tell the guy on the flight to Australia or on the island without power about Apple's send-in battery replacement plan, I'm sure he'll be delighted.

I don't care doodely squat what Apple says about what they think I need: I won't buy a MacBook Pro with a non-removable battery or with just one Firewire port, and although I would very much like to have a small MacBook as a compact laptop nothing on heaven or earth will ever make me buy a Mac with no Firewire port at all, it's completely useless.

Collapse -
Eh
by Nicholas Buenk / January 17, 2009 10:51 AM PST

FireWire 800 is the fastest port around, it's not a consumer feature. 400 is easily usable on it with a cheap adaptor, saves the clutter of an unnecessary legacy port.
It's annoying you actually have to pay extra for the matte screen as they actually take away the glass cover and charge you more for less.
And non-removable battery, well for 8 hours on a high end laptop, you bet it's a great idea. Benfits all grades of users. For little disadvantage other than more difficulty in replacing a broken battery.

Collapse -
You won't get 8 hours...
by DKhoji / January 18, 2009 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Eh

...unless you just sit looking at a dimmed screen not doing anything. Always cut the manufacturers' stated battery time in half for real work performance. And of course you can use an adapter for FW400 on an FW800 port -- I actually pointed that out in my post -- but a) Why should you on a professional machine you pay that much for and b) Why shouldn't you continue to have *two* FW ports on a machine you pay that much for?

Either way: **All** of Apple's new notebooks/laptops have now become unpurchasable for me. I'm going to continue using my current beautiful MacBook Pro with its matte screen, three removable batteries and two Firewire ports until it can no longer be used. After that, if Apple hasn't started listening to their users again, I'm going to switch back to Windows again.

Collapse -
edit feature wanted
by jodydz / January 16, 2009 10:51 AM PST

I ditto that comment, I wish I could edit my posts. I have seen sites, where you have 10 or 15 minutes to make an edit. This allows us to fix the typos without the formum taking the long range risk of edits happening after threads have built on them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.