The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Job-hunting advice needed! What would you do if your job was eliminated?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 21, 2013 10:14 AM PDT

Job-hunting advice needed! What would you do if your job was eliminated?

As we all know times can be very difficult when it comes down to you losing your job. As a CNET member and being very passionate about reading the column weekly, I found myself in a very sticky situation last week. After working for the past eight years straight for the same company, I found my job being eliminated because of New Technology. Being very rusty at job hunting, interviewing, and resume building, I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would now like to take the time to ask my fellow community members, what would you do if you were in my shoes? How does one start out again at 58 years old looking for a new job, keeping in mind that time is against you before your major medical runs out? Thank you for any guidance and suggestions that you may have.

-- Submitted by: Joe D.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Job-hunting advice needed! What would you do if your job was eliminated?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Job-hunting advice needed! What would you do if your job was eliminated?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

Ironically, I find myself in a similar situation.

There's a lot of options as to what you can do.

The first bit of advice - to borrow from Douglas Adams - Don't Panic!

Second bit of advice - economize as much as possible. Keep your expenses to a minimum.

Third - update that resume! Odds are, the last time you did that was 8 years ago and it's likely to be quite stale. Be sure to include your latest job with the appropriate bits of information

After that, you need to look at what your skills are and if those skills are going to be good enough for getting another job. If so, start hitting the proverbial pavement - hit job referral sites like, and so forth.

If not, you might consider going back to school to pick up what skills you might be lacking in. I'd consider online training or perhaps a night school. Or you could simply think of something else that's a better fit.

Don't pigeon hole yourself into JUST that kind of work. Keep your options open. There may be jobs open that have similar job requirements but may have you doing something else entirely. One other thing to consider. Looking for the same sort of job at another company isn't likely to be a good thing for the simple reason - if technology is progressing to the point where your old company didn't need you, odds are excellent that doing the same job elsewhere won't be a long term deal.

And finally, when you do finally get an interview - relax. Be confident but not arrogant. Be Professional! HR departments want someone who can carry themselves with confidence. They want people that can get to work with a minimum of fuss.

Collapse -
by g1inskyms / June 28, 2013 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

I can't see going to school at that age being very cost & time effective. I could see taking specific courses for certification, such as making sure you're very adept in Excel, or Access, or Microsoft Certified. But at age 58, presumably with the requirement to get some income coming in, as well as medical insurance taken care, taking a couple of years to go to school seems like it would just put you further behind.

Collapse -
Totally agree
by listicka / July 5, 2013 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: School

I am little less than 58 and in the same situation. My profession was eliminated by the economy crisis. I worked my whole life in that profession using computers daily and had very hard time finding a job that would give me an income within 80% of what I used to make. I couldn't find anything, not speaking about huge today's problem. Today private companies are hiring without full time benefits, no vacation, no sick time, working many times over 40 hours/week without overtime pay due to not being full time employee. It is unacceptable at this age after so many years of hard work to be treated like this. I have an updated resume; everybody tells me I have an impressive resume. I have a layoff letter with golden print that is specifying layoff due to economy issues. Nothing helps, I am stuck. Luckily I am married and my husband told me to stay at home till the system doesn't change. Not a solution for you and a hard hit on our income. But money is not everything, even though living without money is impossible.

Collapse -
In response to Joe D's Job-hunting advice needed
by Cosmos Parris / June 29, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

In response to Joe D. I understand fully well as I have been in a similar situation and one of the things that happens when you are unemployed is you have to purchase everything by cash if you don't want to create a credit card bill, you have no idea how to pay. You certainly do not want to build bad credit. Do not panic, just breathe and be open to possibilities.

There are many free courses on the internet you can take to enhance your skills, make yourself marketable and will certainly keep you occupied. Use your years of experience and let it work for you.

In my case I joined an internet marketing group, after carefully checking them out, that trains you and makes it easy to work from home. I have learned so much about the internet I did not previously know, and for me it is very real. I have gained a family of friends from all over the globe who are awesome and very helpful in guiding you on how to achieve your goal.

However you should start by looking at things in which you are interested, or feel passionate about, and then take it from there. You might be surprised at what you discover about yourself.

Collapse -
How to join the marketing group?
by JOHNHMOY / July 1, 2013 1:01 AM PDT

I am in a similar situation. Could you provide more information on how to join the Inter. Mktg. Group? Thanks.

Collapse -
How to join Mktg Grp
by AneSW / July 2, 2013 12:17 AM PDT

I too would like to know about this mktg grp. Thank you

Collapse -
A couple things
by libertyunderlaw / June 29, 2013 10:39 AM PDT

Regarding careerbuilder, etc, I have often found them to be scams, unfortunately. I mean this almost literally. First, while they are "free," they're actually "freemium." This means that their basic service is free but if you want to be moved higher into their "stack" and thereby increase your odds of being seen, you need to pay them money. At least that's how careerbuilder and monster used to work. I'm not sure if they still do. Second regarding careerbuilder, et. al, unfortunately I've had my information breached several times and have been bogged down with all kinds of scams. Finally, my e-mail box gets loaded down with irrelevant bot search reports; most are for positions I'm nowhere near qualified for.

Sorry to put a damper on careerbuilder, monster, etc. I have had more success when applying to specific positions on careerbuilder without registering to them.

Next, don't just "update" your resume and cover letter. Carefully and studiously think over your resume. What is most relevant? Boil the details down to three to five bullets for each job. Keep the number of bullets fairly consistent with each job; don't have five bullets under one job and two in the next. I'm told hiring managers hate that. Also consider what type of resume do you want? Chronological is good for pursuing the same type of job. Another type, I can't remember what it's called, highlights skill sets. For example, if you were a salesman but you are looking for an office manager position, you would highlight the skills and accomplishments you development related to office management. For example, maybe you found a more efficient way of tracking what your team did with their working hours. Maybe you took on leadership amongst your sales team. So even though you weren't a manager, let's say you development some team leadership and office management skills. Does that make sense?

Collapse -
I agree Careerbuilder can bring scan to your inbox
by listicka / July 5, 2013 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: A couple things

And worse, I get phone calls and email to my listed contact from people not even speaking English enough to make a good sounding job offer. They are harassing me each day sometimes even 5 times a day, even after I said many times NO. I don't have Monster account; I know for sure these harassments are due to my CareerBuilder listing.

Collapse -
Please contact us directly
by CBSiteSecurity / July 9, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

Thank you for helping spread a word of caution about these types of messages! CareerBuilder does have verification mechanisms in place used to screen companies and individuals who wish to access our products and services. We urge you to report any job on our site to us directly that violates our terms and conditions, so that we may take appropriate action.

For more information about Online Fraud or to report a job to us, we do offer a Fraud Page for Jobseekers:

Thank you.

CareerBuilder's Trust and Site Security Team

Collapse -

Inventory your skills, reach out to contacts to determine what is in demand and market yourself. over age 50 most jobs will be consulting. I consulted from age 55 to 65. I was talked into trying something totally out of my experience. I am now 73 and with the same company at a VP level. One tip, out tech the young techies. Stay healthy and stay in shape. If you would like to talk send me contact info.

Collapse -
Can you teach? Do you have degrees?
by Chigal48 / June 28, 2013 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: consultant

If you have a Bachelors or Masters, you can teach. There are still some non-profs and public schools that need technology teachers.

Collapse -
by theanimaster / June 29, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

And how does one get into teaching here? I've been teaching technology and English in Thailand for 8 years and then I came 'back' here to the States... I'm in Virginia. From what I've heard, teaching isn't something you just jump into here in the States. So while your advice is well-meant, I don't think it is an easy thing at all to get into -- and this coming from someone who has been a teacher for 8 years!

Collapse -
Getting into teaching is not that hard
by toniok / June 29, 2013 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Really?

If you are at the JC or college level and are qualified to teach math or hard science, they will practically beg you to fill out the application on the spot. At least that's what happened to me, and I had no prior teaching experience. Now the lower schools are a whole different matter.

Collapse -
by fogerty66 / June 29, 2013 5:19 AM PDT

I know here in Wisconsin if you have a BA you can do whats called accelerated teaching degrees. It takes about 2 semesters but you must already have a degree. Call you state department of public licensing they can generally tell you if it exists.

Collapse -
Re Teaching
by Rick75230 / June 29, 2013 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Teaching

To a LARGE extent teaching requires VERY specific backgrounds. Yes, you can get what most states refer to as "alternative certification". You get accepted at a [pre-college] school and during the year you take about 12 semester hours of education courses (6sh per semester).

But the problem is that getting certification is not the same as getting a job. Here's the reality for most fresh-out-of-school education majors: For the first year-and-a-half to two years they SIT AT HOME and every weekday they call all the school districts within driving distance and say, "Hi, it's [name]. You folks need any substitutes today? No? Well, thanks. Talk to you tomorrow." If they're lucky they get about two days of work per week -- at bottom-level wages. They can't hold some other job because employers want employees who can be counted on to show up. They can't even hold a night job because employers don't want employees who are half asleep from trying to work 16 hours straight.

If they're really lucky, after about 18-24 months one of the districts has an opening for at least one year or a pregnant teacher leaves in the middle of the year and they get to replace her, so they get to do actual teaching instead of babysitting. That temp job might actually even turn into an offer of a tenure-track position.

And the others? If they can't get anything permanent their attitude is "screw this! I didn't get a college degree to make bottom-level wages two days a week!" They get into something else and never look back.

(About 10 years ago I was getting ready to fill out the alternative certification paperwork when I remembered that my brother--with his masters in Music Education and most of my high school classmates who majored in education went through the same mess.) (My mother worked at the school district administration office for a number of years, so she received the daily phone calls.)

And as I mentioned, getting (alternative) certification does not guarantee a job. With most alt-cert programs the mentoring school is receiving special subsidies from state or federal programs. If they hire the alt-cert candidate the next year, they have to pay that person the normal teaching salary. And since that person now has certification, s/he doesn't qualify for any subsidies. The person with their 12 sh in education is now competing against people with education majors and likely a masters degree.

Regarding community college teaching, those are mostly "adjunct" (part-time) positions. Without at least a relevant master's they generally pay crap. And (at least in Texas), a lot of schools only pay at the end of the course, not monthly or semi-monthly, to avoid the problem of instructors getting discouraged and quitting mid-course. And it's very unlikely they would have 15sh of courses available for someone to teach--the normal teaching load for a full-time instructor.

Collapse -
Wrong context
by sirothe / July 15, 2013 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re Teaching

While what you write may be true about fresh out-of-schoolers, the writer was seeking advice about mid-career moves as a 58 year old.
Although teaching at a JC or HS may not replicate one's previous salary, the question was related to ways to proceeed for one with significant work experience in technology. and the prior respondant was sugesting possibilities in case the writer did have advanced degrees.

Collapse -
Age is no barrier

First thing first, put your age out of the equation. The old adage "you are as old as you feel" applies. So if you feel old then take steps to reverse this. If you have kids, listen to their music, read their Facebook pages (although never ever add a comment!) and tune into what x and y generations are on about.

If you have some time on your hands, get some exercise happening and take a look at your wardrobe... Your wife/girlfriend/children (or all three?) can offer some blunt feedback.... hair color can be an option depending your natural color and hair mass. The trick is for a subtle approach not the " try hard" look.

None of this should have you not being true to yourself, your taste, your self belief. However, you should be planning to live until you are 102 and therefore need to see this event as an opportunity not a threat.

So to the job search question. Depending on your skillset, I have been advised that a Linked in profile is essential in this day and age. Getting some professional advice with your cv and on line profile could be money well spent including how you market yourself and sell your skills at an interview.

In terms of your next job, this will depend on your financial requirements. Options could include, maximizing your immediate income which usually means staying in your same field, looking at becoming slightly more entrepreneurial such a running your own business (higher risk but would offer longer term employment), or switching careers into a more certain but possibly less profitable sphere such as teaching, public service etc.

Also here are a few truisms. Do not under-estimate the value of your life experiences. At the same time do not try and persuade them that your experiences before the year 2000 are any way relevant to today. Even though they are, unless you are being interviewed by a baby boomer you will generate comments like "I was at school then!". Finally, don't give up. Applying for jobs over the Internet will generate 100''s of rejections. The best way to have a clearer run at an opportunity is to contact previous colleagues and take them out for a coffee. If they have nothing for you, ask them if their contacts might be worth approaching. Good luck! I have been there and, as a contractor, will inevitably go there again.

Collapse -
In the UK ageism is rife
by soxer123 / June 28, 2013 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Age is no barrier

Decent education, articulate, broad commercial experience. Job applications in the past year easily 150 + Interviews 3 got close with two of them.

On numbers alone, the age is no barrier suggestion doesn't stand up (in the UK at least).

Discuss the subject at the Jobcentre and you get the stock answer "they can't discriminate against age, it's against the law".

Best bit of advice from another "trained professional" - leave your date of birth off your cv (resume).

I'm not trying to appear negative, but if you are jobhunting at out age, you need be realistic, not wishful.

Good advice on the appearance (I'm on a strict weight loss regime) so in addition to being healthier, clothes look better on me.

Luck is going to play a big part in your search. Too many people chasing too few jobs.

Collapse -
Age actually is often a factor
by ClivenL / June 29, 2013 3:41 AM PDT

Even in IT, age discrimination is fairly prevelent in the US, or at least on the East Coast. Both of my uncles were unable to get jobs in the NY/NJ/PA area, despite excellent resumes, professionalism, and social site interaction skills. Once one is in one's 50's, the HR dep'ts start looking at you sideways. One of my uncles got a job out west (Wyoming, specifically), where the markets are much hungrier for skilled people. I have heard that several states are experiencing relative booms right now, due to energy resource industries doing well there. If moving is an option (oft not the case when you would have to uproot one's family) then those markets migh be better suited to your search, if that isn't where you are looking, presently.

Collapse -
age certainly *is* a barrier
by davecohn / June 29, 2013 4:50 AM PDT

So what you do is you don't put what year you got your degree(s), and since you know that some of your earlier experience is no longer relevant, you leave it off your resume. The last time I was looking for a job was 2005. I was 55, and I started with a resume that showed my BS in 1971, my MS in 1978, and experience starting in 1971. Frankly, I got a hell of a lot of rejections just on the strength of my resume. Then a friend -- an HR professional, by the way -- suggested I do what I just told you. So I dropped the years for the degrees, started describing my experience from 1978 on, and the interview requests and ultimately the offers started coming in.

Once you get in front of someone for an interview, you have a chance to present yourself. But if you're prescreened based on your age as shown or implied on your resume, then you'll never get that chance.

Collapse -
Age IS *THE* factor!
by Rick75230 / June 29, 2013 10:36 AM PDT

Over 50 (and in many fields over 45) is the factor. It's not explained as "You're too old," which is illegal. It is explained as, "You're overqualified," or "We're looking for a different skill set," or "We don't think our primary customer demographic would relate to you" (or you will relate to them).

The fact is that most employers really don't object specifically to age. It's just that in most jobs employers don't want more than about 10-12 years of relevant experience and people tend to hire people like themselves. Sociologists talk about the concept of "the Other". "They" are not like "Us". "They" don't think like "Us". "We" don't have the same interests as "Them". "They" won't fit in with "Us". For younger folks, older folks are "Other". For older folks, younger folks are "Other". "How can "They" listen to that crap music? Why don't "They" dress normal?"

Unfortunately, nowadays most of the hiring personnel are in their 30's or 40's. Another problem is that many of those Gen X'ers got out of college and for years couldn't get a decent job because baby boomers with 15+ years experience and master's degrees were competing directly for the same jobs. Now that the Gen X'ers are in positions of authority, many still hold grudges and even if they don't, they don't want to hire someone with a better background than theirs, who is likely to undermine their authority (intentionally or not) and who could wind up replacing them in a future layoff or downsizing.

*** REGARDING SCHOOLING *** Years ago I worked for a few weeks at an employment agency. They warned me it was illegal to ask age or marital status. They said, "Here's how we get that info:"

(1) Ninety percent of American high school graduates graduate at age 18 +/- 1 year. If you show or tell your high school graduation year ...

(2) "How does your wife/husband feel about [anything]?" Most people will respond either "I'm not married," or "S/he doesn't care," not realizing the question is really to determine marital status.

Collapse -
by AneSW / July 2, 2013 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Age IS *THE* factor!

Your post is point on.

Collapse -
Age is no barrier part 2
by Funkleberry / July 2, 2013 8:23 AM PDT

Hi all..... Just by way of a footnote, I am 60 and living in Australia. My 21 year old son is currently unemployed and struggling to find a job. I think the point is, therefore, that unemployment can be a challenge to all ages. The 30s and 40 something's probably do have the edge on the rest of us in that regard.

The advice to remove dates from qualifications and to talk only about your last 10 to 20 years of experience (less for less senior jobs), is also on the money. I guess the tenet of my previous post is that there are things that can be done to mitigate the risks of ageism. It is not going to work on all occasions and perseverance and spreading your horizons (location, type of job etc) will help.

Lastly, if you think of the dynamic, when someone is recruiting for a job, your best chance is when they need you more than you need them. In my case, as a project manager, it means that I get a lot of troubled projects across Australia, where others have messed up.... And this is more usually through contacts than from a cold application form. If I apply for a dream job where I know they are going to receive 200+ responses, then I might throw my hat into the ring but would not rate my chances. If I circulate across my network of contacts, ex colleagues and friends, then I can quite often get to that point where someone wants to speak to me. Good luck to all. I am coming out of contract in a couple of months and will no doubt be re-reading this advice then.

Collapse -
age is a factor all right
by PorkyJJ / July 15, 2013 9:01 PM PDT

I am now 65. I was "relieved" shall we say or placed in retirement early after many years of service.
I was reminded I was not fired but lowering costs due to newer technology taking over (partially true).
At 63 years I was becoming that liability for health care, pensions.
I found over the years that there is a major disconnect between top managementand and "THE Employee". They don't care about how good you were but rather what will you offer us tomorrow? It is a numbers game. At 63 i wasn't as physically as capable as I used to be. I kind of maxed out my pay grade and now time to enter young people at round-about minimum wage..

Old school intergrity and honesty doesn't mean anything any more. They want young people that they can mold with their new ideas and not people like me that are willing to speak up and say "you're wrong, this won't work ...because"

Collapse -
From someone in a similar situation

I, too, was in a similar situation in June, 2012. At age 63 my job was eliminated and I was laid off (via teleconference no less) after 14 1/2 years at my company and in the same industry since 1966. I agree with the tips for job hunting offered by other respondents, particularly the comment about available jobs being in the consulting area. You might also consider working through a temp agency. It's not just for entry level, minimum wage positions. Many large corporations use contract workers for highly skilled, white collar positions. Some of the larger temp agencies offer benefits, and temp positions can also lead to fulltime work. In the case of some layoffs, the company offers recruiting services, or resume writing services to those that are being let go. You might check your exit documents to see if that is available to you.

A strong work ethic and people skills developed over your 58 years are incredibly valuable. Approach interviews with confidence and don't apologize for anything, You may not wind up doing the same type of work, so stay open to new ideas and opportunities. Like another reviewer said, consider courses to shore up any holes you perceive in your skills.

Depending on where you live, Cities have courses available through their Adult Education programs or Senior centers. Our City even has a course in job hunting for workers over 50. In the Senior Center, age 50 makes you eligible for their programs and groups.

While continuing health insurance through the COBRA plan can be expensive, please consider how a medical emergency could damage your financial condition at a time when you can least afford it. When I lost my job, which included health, dental and vision coverage for both me and my husband, we elected to bite the bullet and pay for COBRA for at least two months for both of us. That bought us some time to really assess our options and make informed decisions instead of snap decisions. In our case, our health insurance deductible had already been satisfied, so doing COBRA made a lot of sense rather than changing carriers mid year with a new, higher deductible. In those first two months on COBRA I got my husband squared away on Medicare with a Medicare Supplement, Rx plan and dental/vision, then looked at what it would cost for me to stay with COBRA until I either found a new job or decided to retire. At that point I wasn't sure what I was going to do. The cost for both of us was awful, but looking back, the time it bought us to get other coverage squared away was totally worth it. If you are married, perhaps you could be added to your spouse's plan??

Also on a financial note, you might want to check to see if you can start collecting on retirement benefits from prior companies you worked for. Every little bit helps. I started taking retirement payments from a previous employer when I was age 55. The payout was less per month than waiting till 65, but it has taken care of our HOA dues for the last 9 years so I can't complain.

It seems that the days of companies acknowledging receipt of applications or responding to each and every application are long gone, so try not to get discouraged if you don't hear from every company to whom you send an application or resume.

I wish you great success in your job hunt and I'd be happy to email with you if I can be of further help.

Collapse -
I concur with the health insurance advice
by skfordyce / June 28, 2013 10:01 PM PDT

Good advice about COBRA. When I was laid off the end of May (at age 58) health insurance was a major concern. We also looked at individual health care plans and decided to go with COBRA. Many of the other plans had high deductibles, or didn't cover all the meds or services we require, or didn't have any doctor visit co-pay. While the cost of COBRA is astounding, for us it made better sense than any other option.

While you're trying to look for work, tackle tasks that you've been putting off because you didn't have the time. Ticking off personal accomplishments while unemployed helps keep you in a positive frame of mind, always a good thing to take with you on an interview.

Collapse -
Some other ideas you might want to consider
by Larry Launstein Jr / June 28, 2013 10:18 PM PDT

Desire and ability knows no age boundaries. If you don't believe, check out the story of hockey legend Maurice "Rocket" Richard. He was far and away the most inspirational person I've ever met. And his longtime rival Gordie Howe was able to play for over 30 years in the National Hockey League alone.

That being said, I strongly suggest you look to see if there is a state-run or local-run health plan available in your area. We are so fortunate to have the Genesee Health Plan for lower income individuals in the Flint, Michigan, area. And most of the folks on this plan actually have jobs. And your options will improve as Obamacare kicks in almost fully in 2014. If your health is a concern, you might want to consider taking up an affordable form of exercise, such as racewalking. I do this myself. Some of my friends do this just to get out and socialize, but I do it and participate in races as well. You'll be surprised at how affordable this sport can be, whether you are walking with friends for exercise or racing in actual races. Walking at a brisk pace is a great stress reliever and can help you get in front of health issues like heart problems and diabetes.

This could also be the opportunity you've been waiting for to start up something for yourself, like a business. You might need to work with an adviser to help devise a business plan, once you identify what you might like to do, and identify a market that could use your services. Get a good one, like from a college or university (many of them offer services like this to the public), or someone from a volunteer organization such as Service Corp of Retired Executives (SCORE). SCORE offers free business planning and help. When I was working on a golf course, I was attending college during the off-season. I finally left after 14 years when I started up my own graphic art and web design outfit. I originally had a degree in journalism, but discovered what I do now by a happy accident. And I took a chance and went back to take more classes and got a degree in graphic design. And I've been invited to take even more yet to even further my skills.

You may also be wanting to go back to class. I would first look into a community college, as someone has already suggested, as they tend to be more affordable, and scholarship and other tuition funding tends to be a bit more plentiful. And there are lots of web sites out there to also help you assist in finding school funding, such as Outlaw Student and Fast Web. There are all kinds of sites that can help you - do a Google search using a search term phrase such as "sources of college scholarship money." You might be able to win at least most of what you need to go back to class. The moral to the story in the previous two paragraphs: never stop learning. And going back to class allows you to have access to the school's career development center. And some colleges and universities even run programs in which the general public are welcome to participate in.

Collapse -
Advice from a Human Resources Professional

Hi Joe,
Start looking for medical coverage now. COBRA can be very expensive and you can do better buying a policy yourself. Start by looking up the web site for your current medical provider,chances are they have prices for individual policies on their web site. if not, call them. be carefull to look at all costs, co-pays, premiums, stop loss (the max .you have to pay out of pocket if you have a major medical event) and coverage levels.
If you are married, you should be eligible to jump onto thier policy although you will need a letter from your current employer indicating when your coverage ends.

*Update your wardrobe but don't be too trendy, make sure it's age/industry appropriate.
*Gone are the days when you can have one generic resume. You may need 3 or 4 customized resumes to emphasize specific skill sets. Likewise with your cover letter. Have several people read both. Typos will weed you out of the application pile quickly. You'll need to also save each one in a text format so you can cut and paste them into online applications. Few large businesses use paper applications any more.
*NEVER say see resume in lieu of completing an application. All that shows is that you are too lazy to fill out the application so the job must not much.
*This is no time to be proud, put the word out to everyone you know regardless of how well you know them that you are looking. Those you let know via email be sure to attach your resume so they can pass it along. But don't pester people about.
*Looking for work is a full time Job, seek out employers you might not know about and bookmark their web page. Few advertise in newspapers anymore. If you don't have any ideas, drive around your area, you might be surprise how many business have popped up around town.
*You didn't say what industry you are in, but if your company went automation look at smaller companies that maybe can't afford that leap.
*Consider how your skills might apply to a different industry and remember to highlight your SKILLS on your resume not just your job.
*Its not necessary to limit your resume to one page as is often cited. Two pages is fine, three is pushing it but it depends on what you've been doing career-wise.
*An objective on a resume can backfire. if it doesn't suit the new employers objective you'll never get an interview.
*Most employers prefer an old fashioned chronological resume. They want to know what you've been doing, where and for how long.
I hope you find this helpful

Collapse -
Keeping resumes and CVs in digital text format
by btljooz / June 29, 2013 3:22 AM PDT

This is a good point but doesn't go far enough into detail. Keep these documents in a text format such as MS Word or Libre Office Writer or other such word processor (Libera Office is free and open source. I have both MS Office and Libre Office on my computer). This will allow you to use proper formatting and also to copy and paste that info into the proper places in an on line application form instead of trying to type it in each time. Trying to type that info in each time is not only time consuming but it leaves open plenty of room for those extremely verboten typos. A lot of companies put timers on their applications and will time you out if you take too long. This is because it uses up all of their bandwidth to have folks on there and have them just stay there for very long. Some people get there and just stay there for whatever reason. This requires the necessity to log them out automatically. When that happens, all data will be lost and will have to be re-entered unless already saved in which case any edits will be lost.

Also convert the afore mentioned documents into PDFs. This is where Libre Office excels over [older versions, at least, of] MS Office in that you can do it straight from there. If you already have MS Office and it doesn't have the ability to convert to PDF, then find and install a good PDF converter. One such converter, for example, that is free and open source is PDFCreator. The reason for this is that most, if not all, companies give a place at the end of the on line application to upload these documents. You WANT to do that!

Third and just as important as your resume(s) and CV(s), in your text program (Word, Writer or whatever) make a list of all your previous employers with company name, address, phone number, name of your immediate supervisor and his/her direct phone info, date you started to date you ended and rate(s) of pay. You may want to make a section in this document where you will list all pertinent information for all of your personal/professional references other than your immediate supervisors from previous employers, too. There will be no need to convert this to PDF as this document will only be used by you for your own quick reference. You will need to be able to copy and paste information from that to the on line applications that you fill out. Again, this will make it easier and faster to do. And again, you will want absolutely NO typos. After all, you don't want to copy and paste those!

In addition to that "text-work", you will want to keep a running record of each and every company that you apply to, when you applied to them, and what the results were. For example, you may simply keep a list in a Word/Writer doc or Excel/Calc sheet or you may opt to keep a folder called "Jobhunt" or similar on your computer (and backed up to thumb drive) with a folder inside for each company you've contacted and all correspondences including which resume and CV you've provided them with if you have several versions of each. This can be very handy information for a myriad of reasons.

Yes, it's a good idea to tailor your resume and CV to each company as much as possible. Especially that CV! You don't want to give your prospective employer the tangible idea that you're just simply blasting your resume and CV out in a shotgun approach to your employment search. Think of you you feel when you get that yearly Christmas letter from Aunt Doris outlining in monotone to everyone the previous year in her life. Instead, use a basic premise or outline of the message you wish to convey and then personalize to the 'nth' degree. Your intended reader may just appreciate that enough for it to catch their attention a bit more than the others in that tall stack of reading that they must trudge through to get to what they're after. YOU! Right? DevilWink

I hope this helps. Grin

Collapse -
Plain text please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2013 3:25 AM PDT

I had to look at the links as some of those are often spam which moderators will clean off without notice.
To avoid that, just post the link in the clear.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.