Car Tech

General discussion

Jeep Liberty 2002 Speedometer not working.

by Dannywon / August 20, 2007 3:06 PM PDT

I have a perfect 2002 Jeep Liberty but with two problems, the speedometer does not work and it stalls when you go to slow down.

The speedometer has been a problem for a long time and I have tried everything and even the dealer cant fix it, except temporarily. They changed the sensors on the outside of the tranny but within a few days, the sme problem.

I had everything looked at, you name it i tired it.

Any ideas on this would be great.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jeep Liberty 2002 Speedometer not working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jeep Liberty 2002 Speedometer not working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jeep Liberty 2002 Speedometer not working.
by macmiss / October 12, 2007 11:37 AM PDT

I have the exact same two problems with my 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited (4WD) which I purchased second hand several years ago. A dealer replaced the speedo sending unit and the speedometer worked for about a month and then quit. I have since replaced the sending unit again, but without any success. The vehicle also sometimes stalls when slowing down. I suspect that the torque converter may not be unlocking, but that is just a guess. I haven't checked the wiring yet for an open or grounded circuit because of the difficulties in isolating the correct wires in wiring harness. Also, the fuse is not burned out. I plan on checking for voltage at the sending unit. If there is no voltage when the engine is running, then the problem may be in the wiring or possibly the speedometer.

Collapse -
Jeep Liberty 2002 speedometer not working
by Dannywon / January 16, 2008 5:49 AM PST

Did you ever get this fixed. If so what was it?

Collapse -
jeep liberty woahs
by porth21 / January 31, 2009 11:35 PM PST

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited with the same problem. The main problem I have found to be the routing of the speed sensor wires located on the rear difrential. They are 2 blue wires on my jeep and probably the same on yours. The problem is that they rub on the E-brake cable and once the wire is exposed they short and the speedometer and any other options running off they speed sensor quit working and that includes the tranny shift points and can cause the torque converter to not unlock and cause stalls. I am having the same problem for the third time and chrysler and jeep are both aware of the problem and unwilling to repair the problem or post a recall.

Collapse -
Well finally
by Dannywon / June 15, 2009 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: jeep liberty woahs

The motor just went and guess what? I'm happy. i'll never purchase a Chrysler product again.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by jtaylor8683 / June 24, 2010 1:32 PM PDT

2002 liberty had the same issues, I checked the wire you mentioned and boom...one was rubbed clean off by the ebrake! Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
2002 Jeep Speed sensor
by jvonryan / September 28, 2010 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

I'm having the same issue, no speedometer, car stalls, diagnostic reading says speed sensor. You mentioned you found the issue. Is it a fix? Can you explain what I need to do? Can I do this myself? (not a huge mechanic)

Thanks,
J. Ryan

Collapse -
question
by primakron / August 3, 2011 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

I missed this info where is this wire located? do you have a pic or diagram? I know thats my issue as well i had it fixed once before but i do not know where it is located. please let me know asap thank you

Collapse -
ME TOO
by Dudeski360 / June 27, 2010 12:41 AM PDT

erg this is my 6th day of ownership of my 02 liberty for 4 of them the speedometer is wacked but no sines of stalling YET!!!! i have replaced the rear dif speed sensor and its harness, no luck! fortunately im the kind of guy who dose not mind rewiring my entire car, and think its fun... any way i am going to find were the wire first exits the inside of the car and if i can start from there. then find the most clear direct path to the rear dif speed sensor and hook her up. i will let you know if my venture is successful!!!

Collapse -
Speedo and odometer and heat
by hillartd / December 14, 2010 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: ME TOO

My 2002 jeep liberty speedometer and odometer stopped working, the jeep dies when stopping and I have not heat. I have replaced all related sensors on the jeep (two on the trans and one on the rear diff) no success, I have replaced the thermo twice, put in a new radiator and had system flushed, made sure all air was out of system, still not heat.

Regarding heat issue: I have one hose that is hot (on top of engine) and the other (on bottom) stays cold in fact all hoses are hot except the hose that comes from the radiator to the block which houses the thermostat.

Speedometer issue: I have also replaced the harness on the rear sensor and made sure that none of the wires are exposed.

Heat: Could this be an issue with the heater core or actuator?

Speedo: Could this be an issue with the cluster or a loose wire somewhere else or maybe another sensor that I have missed?

Collapse -
Jeep speedometer and stalling issue!
by yodelsrule / May 15, 2011 10:28 AM PDT

After several years of this issue and hundreds of dollars in parts and labor......the problem has been solved thanks to a post on this site.
When diagnostic codes showed the overdrive sensor not working I had it replaced but still didn't fix it. I came to this site and read the problem of the routing of the speed sensor wires located on the rear difrential. The problem is that they rub on the E-brake cable and once the wire is exposed they short and the speedometer and any other options running off the speed sensor quit working and that includes the tranny shift points and can cause the torque converter to not unlock and cause stalls. So I called my brother and asked him to check these wires and sure enough, they had worn through. We went to a dealer and got the replacement kit for $32.00 and my brother replaced it. He also took the time to encase the wires in a plastic tubing to avoid this problem again. I was looking to get rid of my jeep out of frusteration but I am glad to say this gilr is now keeping her Jeep!

Collapse -
2002 Jeep Liberty
by shmoo91065 / July 19, 2012 10:52 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem. The speedometer stopped working. It either stays at zero or bounces all over the place. Now I'm having jerking motions when I drive. I can't believe Jeep refuses to acknowledge this and do something about it, but then again - I CAN BELIEVE IT! No accountability! I guess someone will have to get into an accident and die before they step up and fix the issue.

Collapse -
and burning smells
by shmoo91065 / July 19, 2012 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: 2002 Jeep Liberty

I also have been smelling a burning scent which I describe as an electrical fire type smell. When I open the hood there is neither smoke nor fire. Reading how the wire can be exposed I am thinking that is what I am smelling. Thanks for sharing your issues. I hope to be able to get the car fixed now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.