Car Tech

General discussion

JEEP ... Grand Junk ... (95,96,97,98) WON'T START OR STALLS

by Cat5 Cane / February 26, 2008 3:21 AM PST

To all
There are two main posts to read and we all are experiencing the same problems... Find 97 Jeep dying upon ignition w/ 203 blogs and also find... Jeep GC Stalling Fixed w/ 121 blogs.

In a nut shell,... 99% seem to be electrical related but don't forget the fuel filter.

Most dealers have no idea of the resolve and are strictly remove and replace trouble shooting method after they have have charged you for the diagnostic charge of $100.

Secondly, forget small repair shops unless they have a past x jeep employee.

Electrical Parts... suggest to buy dealer electrical components like 02 sensors. Next try rebuilt original parts if possible, as aftermarket is ok for points, distributors, plugs, ect but not good for main electrical components as aftermarket doesn't use same electric wiring needed and Jeep is very finicky.

Happy hunting and don't forget to post if you found out the answers to what was wrong!!!

We all need the help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: JEEP ... Grand Junk ... (95,96,97,98) WON'T START OR STALLS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: JEEP ... Grand Junk ... (95,96,97,98) WON'T START OR STALLS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jeep stalls
by Cat5 Cane / February 26, 2008 9:01 AM PST

thought I would add my last post... To hot or cold - New!
by Cat5 Cane - 2/26/08 4:53 PM
In reply to: Hot not cold by 1996Jeep GC

To bring you up to date...

Changed the Catalytic converter

Went to auto zone ... used free diagnostics test, says 02 sensor...Replaced 02 sensor with aftermarket part and had a neighbor mechanic help me.

problem persists
(Note later: went to old jeep mechanic(friend of mine)says I should have bought Jeeps original part, as Jeeps are electrically dependent on proper parts and aftermarket sucks), then replaced number 1 sensor by same mechanic w/jeep originals... cost $140.

problem persists, back to auto zone and diagnostic now says, p0351... PCM malfunction exists in primary or secondary elect circuits for ignition coil A...one of 4 solutions.
1)replace coil.
2)replace plugs ,wires, cap, rotor.
3)Poor elect connection or circuit fault.... Where is this???
4)Circuit fault ignition module or PCM or ECU (Same).

Took the least expensive and replaced #1 and 2.

problem persists
Did the screws (cutting them to 3/8) and reinserted per you, worked ok for a day or two.

Problem persists
Note... Each time the problem would come back but when running, it is greater then ever. Still have sporadic malfunctions... attempted to check and clean relays and fuses and again... seem to run better but the problem came back.

Went back to Auto Zone reading now says... P033? ...Crank shaft sensor. Friend Mechanic suggested to clean off grease around the sensor before replacing, saying built up grease holds heat and would give me false reading.
SOOO did that and still missing and wants to stall every now a again.... hot or cold.

Down to replacing the Crank shaft sensor but waiting for the Money Tree to sprout!

After that, I guess PCM or circuit fault ignition module, where ever that is?

2 other issues bother me ...
One... someone once said that they had a leak from the engine manifold or exhaust manifold ? I too have a leak and can smell and hear fumes from the leak at the engine... would this also have a shut down reaction to the sensors if not reading proper air/gas ratio?

Two... My door security lock started giving me problems and have read that shut down will happen if messed up... lock system works but will not shift (drivers) door lever to lock position when using key module pad or automatically shift to lock position when driving.
To secure it, I must use the pad to lock other locks and manually shift lever to lock on drivers door side.

Master note... each time I went back for diagnostic check, it gave me something different!

If ever fix it, I will return with the answer to help some other fool, like me...

Any suggestion beyond this, to please inform me.
Ron,

To all other, I hope this helps.
PS... You would think, with all of the people who are having problems, that Jeep to save their reputation would put out a notice on how to fix this ongoing problem!

Collapse -
jeep stalling or stalling or quitting while driving
by leake_t / December 3, 2009 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Jeep stalls

My jeep just started doing the same thing so i figured i would check here first. and it looks like everyone has has the same issues and checked the same things. not sure if it will help but i had 2 dodge chrystler minivans and both did the same thing that my jeep is doing and im going to check it this weekend. it was the fuel pump. well not actually the pump the the plug wire into the pump; it started shorting out. it didnt give a error code becase there wasnt anything wrong with the pump. i had a local friend of mine who was a mechanic at a goodyear repair shop the told me to replace the plug on both vans so im going to try that this weekend with the jeep and will let everyone here know what the outcome was.

Collapse -
Jeep Stalls
by Cat5 Cane / February 26, 2008 10:35 AM PST

Thought I would continue with info

I have copied down some of the more interesting blogs to read.
Under post...
Jeep Stalling/ Fixed
Read #1,38,56,64 and 84

Under 97 Jeep dying upon ignition.
Read #191

Collapse -
Jeep stalls
by Cat5 Cane / February 26, 2008 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Jeep Stalls

To all... Per my above post
In my attempt to help and giving # blogs to read for different solutions... It does not work, as the numbers shift or rotate down when someone else comes in and post a connecting blog to another post before it!!! So, I guess your going to have to read all blogs to get some solutions.

Easier way to save blogs that concern you is to Copy and Paste in word, then go back later and make check list.

clarification...
1)diagnostics= circuit fault ignition = crank shaft position sensor.
2) PCM and ECU and ECM is the same... Power Circuit Module

Just a thought...I don't know if shortening the screws at the PCM is the true answer as disconnecting the battery erases the memory and the car may run good for awhile, as it is learning/diagnosing again before problem returns. Another point is that when you remove plugs and reinsert back into PCM, you are making a new and better contact to the PCM and that might be some of the answers for some people. all I know is that the screw solution didn't work for me after a couple of days.

Collapse -
Crank shaft position sensor... Replaced,... no help
by Cat5 Cane / March 2, 2008 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Jeep Stalls

3-1-07 I replaced my Crank shaft position sensor... , it didn't help! Cost $75.00 for aftermarket part plus labor

one thing that i haven't done is the drivers circuit fault ignition module... Don't know what it is but it showed up as possible cause when I got scanned... P0351

I'm researching!

Collapse -
Crank shaft pos sensor... FIXED PROBLEM
by Cat5 Cane / February 27, 2008 8:47 PM PST

crank shaft pos sensor... FIXED PROBLEM

COPIED from recent blog
by Cat5 Cane - 2/27/08 6:17 AM
In reply to: REPLY by jshelton4150
2-27-08

Sheldon... Per you from #125
" AFTER REPLACING MANY PARTS INCLUDING THE PCM, DIAGNOSTICS SHOWED "ENGINE SPEED IGNITION CKT" TROUBLE. I THEN REPLACED THE CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR AND IT HAS BEEN RUNNING PERFECT FOR SEVERAL WEEKS NOW WITH NO PROBLEMS NOT EVEN A SPUTTER."
Thanks for responding...
Per your last statement 2-17 you said, car was running for two weeks and is fixed. Now it's 2 more weeks... and is the car still fixed?... yes, now over a month (2-28-07)

This might be one major issue/resolve.
1)Did you buy just the part or get the wire connector too?... PART ONLY
2)Did you buy aftermarket or dealer part?... AFTERMARKET

Collapse -
98 grand cherokee stalling and no start
by devdev12345 / September 27, 2011 11:29 PM PDT

I'm with you cat5 cane mine was the crank position sensor also. Man i love this site.

Collapse -
won't start or it stalls
by shamrock38 / February 18, 2009 11:56 AM PST

A problem as you all know my advise would be to replace the onboard computer to the Jeep (They are only 200 bucks refirbished. Mechanic will charge you around 300 total. I had a similar issue with my 1990 jeep cherokee sport and it ended up being the computer (what would happen is, once the jeep and the computer had a chance to warm up it would either stall or you wouldnt be able to start it.) Normally if you gave the car a chance to cool down, you could start it back up after about 3 hours or so. One tale sign would be, if you have a problem starting especially if the car is warm Let cool down. If it starts back up it's the Computer. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Won't start or it stalls
by dillon777 / March 2, 2010 9:40 AM PST

Read all the posts re: wont start or stalls. Recently bought a 96 Jeep GCL 4.0. Jeep stalled and wouldnt start. Tried cleaning the terminals on the ECM, didnt help. Rpld spark plugs last week before it stalled. Getting gas but no electrical components work under the hood. Gauges also not working on the dash when trying to start. Ckd all fuses, found one small 20 amp fuse burnt marked as TRAN. I assume it had something to do with the transmission. Rpld fuse, gauges started working, motor started right up. Problem solved.

Collapse -
i have a 1997 jeep cherokee...
by squeezebox67 / April 8, 2010 12:52 PM PDT

i have a 97 had the same prob... i had my gas tank cleaned out & the filter in the tank replaced no more probs since! gl

Collapse -
98 jeep grand cherokee issues
by mward4605 / March 16, 2012 4:02 PM PDT

my boss has a 98 jeep grand cherokee. V8 4x4 auto. It has a new trans, new trans case, new plugs, wires, and replaced the computer twice. It will turn over and start acts like its going to try and run then it dies off immediately. some people have told me its the crank senser. Any ideas? Im totally clueless at this point. Any info would be greatly appreciated. You can email Matthew Ward @ mward4605@yahoo.com Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.