Computer Help

Question

Java won't uninstall but won't run, what can i do?

by The_swift / August 3, 2012 11:48 PM PDT

I was removing all versions of java from my computer, and all was well until the most recent, Java 7 update 5. This refused to be unistalled. I followed the official instructions here:

http://java.com/en/download/uninstall.jsp

After this didn't work i followed this about regkeys:

http://java.com/en/download/help/regkey_addremove.xml

This failed, so rather stupidly (out of desperation) i have now manually deleted my java folder in the C: drive. I have tried to reinstall multiple times, but each time it comes up with "java already exists, do you want to replace" and yes just sends me back to the same question.

Also worthy of note is I've tried to use Revo unistaller, but seeing as i deleted the regkey it didn't detect it (i assume this is the reason). Also tried "free windows registry repair" and a .jar app i didn't remember the name of.

Basically i'm getting worried and want to know what to do next! Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java won't uninstall but won't run, what can i do?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java won't uninstall but won't run, what can i do?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Java
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 3, 2012 11:55 PM PDT

At the moment you can't run any Java program, but that probably was what you intended. So why care?

To enable Java again, it seems you'll have to wait for update 6. They come every three months.

Kees

Collapse -
trying to uninstall old versions and reinstall newest.
by The_swift / August 4, 2012 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Java

I was trying to completely reinstall java having removed older versions too, but it went wrong :(. It looks like i'll just have to wait it out for the next update i guess. cheers though Happy

Collapse -
Java issue
by pgc3 / August 4, 2012 12:37 AM PDT

Did you ever think that this issue might have been created by something malicious? Unless you already have you might want to try running a Malwarebytes scan in safe mode with networking to see if anything shows up. There are other methods of removing issues such as you are having with Java but unless you are extremely cautious can create more problems than you already have. I' d run MW in safe mode w/networking to see if something might have gotten to you. Best of luck!

Collapse -
Sadly no luck
by The_swift / August 4, 2012 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Java issue

I did as suggested, it found one instance of malware, but after removing that theres still no change in the symptoms Sad thanks though!

Collapse -
Answer
Try
by mchainmchain / August 4, 2012 5:52 PM PDT

This java uninstaller here: http://singularlabs.com/

Let us know if that worked for you.

I do not run java on my system as it is often exploited by malware, maybe more so than Adobe. One less thing to worry about.

Collapse -
Tried but failed
by The_swift / August 4, 2012 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Try

I ran the javaRa and went through every removal option in the program but no luck. There is still an entry in add/ remove programs that won't uninstall and trying the installer from the java website still gets stuck in the "already installed" loop. oh well thanks anyways!

Collapse -
Answer
Solution Found
by The_swift / August 9, 2012 1:19 AM PDT

Having floundered and nigh near given up with this, a solution has been found:

I downloaded the 64 bit version of java from this link: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and now it works like a charm.

I have no idea why this has worked, and i still can't unistall the other version, but it seems to be seperate to the faulty instance of java and working so i am happy! Thanks to all who helped.

Collapse -
Hi
by mchainmchain / August 9, 2012 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution Found

XP Professional 64-bit has its quirks. This is one of them.

Collapse -
Answer
Removing java from installed programs list
by andrew_ian / January 15, 2013 10:48 PM PST
Collapse -
Couldn't remove JAVA 7/5 either
by paizleysun / February 2, 2013 11:53 PM PST

Worked great! So easy! Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.