Computer Help forum

General discussion

Java will not install on win 7

by skitzer111 / March 24, 2011 7:46 AM PDT

When I open the Java that I downloaded and saved when I get to Java setup the following message pops up: The software has already been installed on your computer Would you like to reinstall it ? yes or no. If I select no the setup stops and if I say yes I get the following message from windows installer: This action is only valid for products that are currently installed. I am using win7 64bit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java will not install on win 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java will not install on win 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Try It This Way
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 24, 2011 9:21 AM PDT

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then scroll down to the ''Java Platform Standard Edition JDK 6 Update 24 (JDK or JRE)'' section, then click on the "Download JRE" button. Follow the prompts, select the Windows platform and the "Language", if necessary, accept the license agreement, click the "Continue" button, then download the full ''Windows OFFLINE Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Programs & Features'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u24 from the downloaded installer.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
JAVA will not install on Windows 7
by skunkface47 / June 2, 2011 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Please Try It This Way

Not the original poster but I also cannot get Java to install

Wanted to update Java

Uninstalled Java through Control Panel

Now Windows7 will not allow the install

Tried the Java JRE 6u25 windows i586 from my desktop with Firefox not running

Got ERROR
Installer:Wrapper.Create.File failed with error 5: Access is denied

Collapse -
Why not use Grif's advice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 5:07 AM PDT

Uninstall what Java you have and install the full offline version. If your Windows account is not the admin type then it should fail for that reason.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried Grif's Advice
by skunkface47 / June 2, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

Java has been uninstalled

Tried both online and offline versions. Still no go.

I use Firefox 32 bit

Collapse -
I use Seamonkey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried Grif's Advice
Collapse -
Still denied after doing homework
by skunkface47 / June 2, 2011 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I use Seamonkey.

Used JavaRa to remove all leftover Java pieces on Windows

Tried to install

Still same error message

Windows account is Admin

Collapse -
Remember that Admin is not
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

An "Admin" account would be that member of "administrators." This is not a "God" account and the error shows some permission issue.

If prior discussions did not help then I fear the worst. Prepare to reinstall the OS.

I'd like to avoid this but looking at the clues and the claims then no fix is available short of a reinstall.

I mean it. Unless I see some event id's, and more, the end is nigh.
Bob

Collapse -
With 64 Bit, There Should Be TWO Java Versions Installed....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 6:37 AM PDT

First, did you uninstall both from the Control Panel? Second, did you download the offline installer for both and install them?

When you visit the download location mentioned in my first post, there are two separate options.. One is x86 and one is x64. Download them both and install them both..

And before installing both versions, as mentioned previously, be sure that ll things Java are gone.. See the link below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/89830-java-update-error.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I fouund this link if anyone is interested.
by bobjones19 / September 30, 2014 4:46 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.