Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

JAVA Version 7 Update 17 plz Help me with installation

by confine / March 24, 2013 6:14 PM PDT

i cant install "JAVA Version 7 Update 17" when ever i try to it shows a msg saying " the installer cannot proceed with the current internet connection settings. please visit the following web site for more information. http://java.com/en/download/help" so plz plz plz help me install coz i did install update 15 about a month ago and it was no problem. but now in chrome browser it asks for java plugin installation and iam not able to do so

help me!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: JAVA Version 7 Update 17 plz Help me with installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: JAVA Version 7 Update 17 plz Help me with installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: java
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 6:25 PM PDT

Did you do what that link told you to do? What happened?

Kees

Collapse -
re
by confine / March 25, 2013 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: java

it just shows help section on java.com and couldnt find any help

Collapse -
Installing Java
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 10:17 PM PDT

>>.. but now in chrome browser it asks for java plugin installation and iam not able to do so<<

• See "How do I use Java with the Google Chrome browser?" where it addresses "Java plug-in needs permission" and related issues.

>>..when ever i try to it shows a msg saying " the installer cannot proceed with the current internet connection settings<<

Did you download the "offline" installer? I would recommend the following:

• Remove all prior versions. Depending on your OS, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove. Or if Windows 7 .. Control Panel > Programs and Features.

• Download (and unzip) JavaRa. (You must run JavaRa with administrator rights)

JavaRa should remove any leftovers. If for any reason JavaRa doesn't remove all remnants, the free version of Revo Uninstaller will surely do the job.

• Try installing Java 17 update 7 again. Make sure to select the offline installer, after first accepting the license agreement. (With Windows 64-bit version, you will also need to install "Windows X86")

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Correction..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing Java

Just above the download link at the bottom of the post, it should read: "Try installing Java 7 update 17 again"

"Someone" must have transposed the numbers. Silly

Collapse -
re
by confine / March 25, 2013 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction..

what do u mean by transposed? and how do i rectify it

Collapse -
No Need To Worry..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: re

Carol mistakenly inverted the Java version into version 17 instead of 7, and inverted the "update" version to 7 instead of 17.. As you indicated in your first post, you are attempting to install the correct Java 7 Update 17 version. Keep up the good work.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re
by confine / March 25, 2013 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Installing Java

why do i have to install both 32bit and 64 bit versions

Collapse -
Only If You Have Window 64 bit (You Didn't Tell Us)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 5:20 AM PDT

Unfortunately, you didn't tell us the version of Windows you have installed on your computer, so Carol's covering all basis here.. If you're running Windows 7 Home 64 bit, (RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose 'Properties' to show your version of Windows. ) for example, it uses Internet Explorer in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. If you're running Windows XP 32 bit, then you only need to install the 32 bit version of Java..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re
by confine / March 25, 2013 5:32 PM PDT

i have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit os

Collapse -
If that's the case..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 11:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
carol's solution, it worked
by confine / April 6, 2013 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: If that's the case..

thks carol i installed windows x64 like u suggested and it worked thks for the link iam gonna be using it for my future downloads too. thk u so much

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.