Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

Java Update

by golden1 / January 19, 2013 1:53 AM PST

Got a message from Norton about updating Java. I thought this would be done automatically. Or a pop-up would come up. Hesitant to do anything.
Thanks in advance

golden1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by golden1

Collapse -
RE: Java Update
by Mymom6678 / January 29, 2013 8:29 PM PST
In reply to: Java Update

Actually, most programs need Java. Applications, games, websites, anything! If you need it then install. But, I recommend not to update it to JAVA 7. It just got itself new, more dangerous flaws. If you want to use JAVA, you better use Java 6 U 35 - The version I am using. Grin

Collapse -
Java Update
by golden1 / January 30, 2013 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Java Update

Thank you!

Collapse -
Sorry, Not Entirely Accurate
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Java Update

First, most programs DON'T need Java to function on your computer. The primary uses for Java are for use in browsers on the internet, although there are a few computer programs which actually require it. In addition, only a few websites require Java applets to function and for many, disabling Java or uninstalling it completely works just fine. (Yep, there are quite a few online games that require Java, but many don't and you can easily test which ones but disabling Java, then visiting the site.).... Read the bottom section of the article in the link below to see how few items on your computer actually require Java:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-big-a-security-risk-is-java-can-you-really-quit-using-it/4749

And second, if you're wanting to use Java 6, (which seems to be a little safer than Java 7 for the moment), then the most current is Update 38, which contains security updates from Update 37.. (Java 6 Update 35, as you've suggested, doesn't include the most recent security updates.).

See the most recent releases for both Java 6 & 7 at the link below;
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
But what about MineCraft?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 4:12 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) You're Addicted, Are You ? :-)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 8:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Think of the children.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 8:18 AM PST
Collapse -
helpful
by Ethan1985 / February 7, 2013 8:17 PM PST

Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Rarely automatic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Java Update

But most folk do not need JAVA. Uninstall it and see if you need it.
Bob

Collapse -
Java Update
by golden1 / January 19, 2013 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Rarely automatic.

You answered my question. I searched and don't have it and from the notice said I didn't think it would apply to a home user like me.
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.