Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Java & JavaSript

by SpaceCadet11 / October 4, 2012 1:44 AM PDT

Hello. I am doing some rudimentary 'dabbling' at this time with 'JavaScript'. I am an absolute begginer.

Just a little 'semantics' to start off with. Somebody mentioned to me that both Java & JavaSc. are different...

I am pretty sure that J.S. is "just for" controlling how 'text' is displayed on a 'web page'. I was dabbling with a tutorial recently..and it instructed me to start that process using a notepad program I have on my computer..then having a sampling of text..by itself showing up on the screen 'in a certain' manner. Is that the main or only way ( using notepad) that J.S. is used or applied to 'web page construction?

Some web pages already have J.S. embedded into the web page that you might be viewing..but is usally hidden.

Is there a 'function' key that you can depress that would 'reveal' these hidden..JavaSripts or controls?

What is Java? by itself? Are they 'controls' that control how other things show up..besides text on 'web pages'?

Thanks for any and all responses

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java & JavaSript
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java & JavaSript
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: java and javascript
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Java & JavaSript

Indeed, Java and Javascript are different languages. Java is compiled into class files, which are executed by the Java runtime. Javascript is interpreted by a browser.

Javascript can do MUCH more than controlling how a webpage is displayed. You'll learn about that when studying. For example: http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/25-amazing-javascript-games-some-fun-and-inspiration/ has games written in Javascript.

It depends on the tool you use for making a webpage how to enter Javascript code in it. Notepad is a very basic tool. But you can use any other webdesign tool that supports it.

How to see the source of a webpage depends on the browser. It isn't a function key but a menu option.

Collapse -
In addition
by Sovereign Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 8:00 AM PDT

there are a handful of great JavaScript libraries out there and that allow you to get things done by writing less code. One of those libraries is called jQuery. It's good to have a basic JavaScript foundation, but you'll often find that websites rely on this libraries. It makes sense, too, because you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time you want to do something simple that has been done before or people do a lot.

Collapse -
Limits are set by us. Example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 8:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Khanalabhi / November 15, 2012 1:13 PM PST

Java, for what you are asking, is a programming language that lets you create programs or apps that are not limited to running on the web-browser. As long as you have on your Operating System of choice, JVM, the programs written in have can be compiled and run. You can use Java to create dynamic websites as well. However, unlike JavaScript, which runs on your browser, Java would run on the server - where the website is actually hosted. There are occasions where JavaScript is used to communicate with Java on the server. I guess I just wanted to point out they can and do coexist.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.