Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Java? and other programs I may not need

by slamina / April 22, 2013 6:05 AM PDT

I just got my computer back up and running and I seem to be using alot of resources. My 1st question pertains to Java. I have no idea what it is. I'm not aquainted well to programs. I do not play games or do anything more than browse, use facebook and alittle networking and selling. Do I need Java and if I do, should I remove the one I have and update?
I have 3 updates in my control panel and only one was installed in 2013. Other 2 were in 2012. I don't seem to have the actual program but just updates.
Last but not least, is there anyone who could help out a poor lost soul to figure out what running and non running programs I don't need? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Win/7 home, service pack 1
HP-Pavilion s5414y x64 based PC
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 processor, 2700 Mhz, 2 cores, 2 logical processors
BIOS- Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.55, 12/8/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
4.00 GB (RAM)
2.15 GB available Memory
5.66 available GB virtual memory

I hope this is enough to help you...

slamina has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java? and other programs I may not need
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java? and other programs I may not need
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Define "alot of resources"
by Jimmy Greystone / April 22, 2013 6:42 AM PDT

Are we talking disk space, RAM, a combination of the two, something else, what?

Of course pretty much anything you see in the uninstall list for programs is optional and can be removed without necessarily rendering your computer unable to boot. So, go ahead and remove a couple of things, see how it goes over a few days. If things are still going well, remove more, otherwise stop.

I would just be sure to avoid touching things like the Visual C++ runtimes. You might well seem to have dozens of them, and they all seem like the same thing, but it's just one of the quirks of developing for Windows that really isn't worth getting into. Suffice it to say, removing those could break other programs, and it won't necessarily be obvious that the two are connected.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by slamina

Collapse -
As To Those Programs..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 6:45 AM PDT

First, the Java has issue has been discussed a lot recently. Read the information at the link below and make your decision..;threadListing

As to those other "running and non running programs", since we don't know what you have, here are a couple of links which can be used to identify ways to eliminate unnecessary "Services" and unnecessary programs running in the background.

Check out the chart in the link below.. Many set their computers so they emulate the "Safe" or "Tweaked" columns.

The link below will give you a clue as to the necessity of various "msconfig" programs which are running in the background.. Find the name of the program listed in "msconfig", open the page below, then click on the letter in the alphabet with which the program starts with. Find the name of the program and read the information and make your decision based on the information given:

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.