Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Java 7u11 and other Applications...

by VannBriggs333 / January 28, 2013 1:56 PM PST

I am curious about the state, of the most recent update to Java 7. Is it affecting other Applications or Programs, other than web browsers? Is it possible this vulnerability has the ability to translate to other Applications or Programs written in Java? It only popped into my thoughts, because I know many developers use Java, to write applications and programs.

This vulnerability is of great concern to me, because I recently completed a web development course in college. I also recently purchased a new laptop, which I use strictly for school, and I would hate to lose use of it due to something like that.

Other thoughts: Does anyone have an idea, of when this vulnerability might be fully fixed? It's annoying to keep Java disabled, when it is so widely used.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java 7u11 and other Applications...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java 7u11 and other Applications...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just my opinion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:33 PM PST

As long as your JAVA app can read/write files and communicate over the internet how could it ever be "safe"? That is, it's an app just like other apps so look at, for example a game called Mine Craft.

If we were to lower the capabilities to the point nothing could possibly go wrong due to malicious coding then the language may cease to be useful.

Many folk don't need JAVA installed. Why not uninstall it and see if you really need it.

Collapse -
I appreciate your input...
by VannBriggs333 / January 28, 2013 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Just my opinion.

The issue I would have with that, is that I do in fact need it for testing purposes for class activities. Sadly I need to re-enable it when it is needed, then disable it after that. If it wasn't necessary for some classes, then it would have likely been uninstalled.

Collapse -
You might consider running java apps within ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 14, 2013 1:00 PM PST
Collapse -
by jijo272 / February 13, 2013 6:36 PM PST
In reply to: Just my opinion.

Regarding whether or not java is safe, we belong to pogo.com. We are paid Club Members and many of the games need Java to work. I disabled Java when the security dangers were announced.

Do you think in the near future someone will come up with a Safe java or is it possible pogo has a way of protecting us while playing the games.

I keep getting conflicting reports.

(Windows 7, Mozilla FireFox, Avast Security)

Thank you so much.

Collapse -
Re: Java
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Java?

Playing those games isn't dangerous (unless they offer games that are designed to hack your system). The danger is that other websites could misuse Java.

So the thing to do: have one browser (out of IE, Firefox, Chrome) you use to visit trusted sites that need Java (such as pogo). Use another browser (out of these 3) for normal non-Java use and disable Java there.

Collapse -
by termix2012 / January 29, 2013 6:10 PM PST

>when this vulnerability might be fully fixed
nobody can answer it, vulnerbilities in java are dicovered every now and then
the most secure way is to disable it at all or keep your pugins up-to-date

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promotional links on 01/30/2013 at 8:51 AM PT

Collapse -
Java on Pogo
by jijo272 / February 13, 2013 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Java

I guess that answers my question.......... Thank you.

So now I have to decide to keep my membership and play what is available without Java - or - just quit.

I'll have to think about it.

Collapse -
While thinking about ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 14, 2013 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: Java on Pogo

your options you might want to consider one more option. Keep and use Java but run the java apps through sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/

Avast Anti-virus also has a built in sandboxing that would also keep java apps in sandboxes.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.