Phones forum

General discussion

Japanese Cell Phones in America? (questions~ Please read)

by xkoi_kanax / December 31, 2007 10:33 PM PST

Okay~ So I was wondering if
I could buy a Japanese Cell Phone on
the Internet?
I have an American cell Phone with T-Mobile,
But I have a trouble communicating with my friends in
Japan.
American Cell Phones cannot type Japanese,
And I don't do Romaji well (And I don't know English well either!)

So would it be possible to buy it off the internet,
then use it in America??

If you can help, I'd much appreciate it!
Thank you!

From,
Sayuka

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Japanese Cell Phones in America? (questions~ Please read)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Japanese Cell Phones in America? (questions~ Please read)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Years ago...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2007 11:47 PM PST

Japan consistently altered the cell frequencies to never match any mass produced unit. There is no question why they did that. Be sure to check if your phone works with the local cell company equipment.

Bob

Collapse -
End of 2008??
by Wilgaz / January 2, 2008 12:32 AM PST

Verizon wireless announcesed they will allow hardware and software from other companies if the hardware and software meet Verizon's standards..
Check this news..
http://www.coxwashington.com/hp/content/reporters/stories/2007/11/28/VERIZON_OPEN28_COX.html

I am not sure the networks in Japan.. But many Koreans use CDMA.. so they can bring korean phones to the verizon networks..
Sorry, T-Mobile is GSM network.. Maybe, Apple iPhone, a GSM Phone, can use japanese but you need to hack the phone to use it in T-Mobile network and typing in japanese.. This is avoiding hardware warranty..

Collapse -
Yes you can use a Japanese phone in America!
by PathmarkPolice / January 2, 2008 4:22 AM PST

The answer is yes, BUT you must make sure the phone you're purchasing from Japan:

1.) Is Tri-Band 900/1800/1900 make sure it operates on these frequencies. You can pop out your T-Mobile sim card and put it in your Japanese Phone.

2.) Is Unlocked! Make sure the phone from Japan isn't locked to any carrier.

Also make sure you have a wall adapter for the phone's charger, so you can use it in your home here in the US.

Collapse -
yes a japanese cell works in america
by tmaldo3 / May 13, 2010 6:48 AM PDT

i do hav a japanese cell myself, the sh906i from sharp. i had it unlocked already with a hypersim card. i cant seem 2 get any signal, it comes and goes.... any ideas what could call this? or do i hav 2 get a sim from another phone company? bcause i have tmobile

Collapse -
japanese cell
by tmaldo3 / May 12, 2010 6:08 AM PDT

i bought a japanese cell recently on ebay. i got the sh906i cell frm japan. they sent it 2 me unlocked so it can read in english. prob is i cant get signal half the time. im trying 2 figure out how 2 fix this.

Collapse -
auggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: japanese cell

Check which frequencies the phone operates on. In the US, 850 and 1900 mhz are used for voice services. If your phone does not include those frequencies there is nothing you can do to make it work in the US. Some foreign devices may have either 850 or 1900 mhz instead of both.

Collapse -
japanese cell n the u.s.
by tmaldo3 / May 13, 2010 6:43 AM PDT

i actually bought an unlocked japanese cell from ebay, and i live here n brooklyn. all u need is a sim card and a hypersim card. the only thing is u might have signal problems. im having signal probs. with mines and still trying 2 figure out how 2 fix....but when i did hav signal i was able 2 work evrything n the cell, jst some things didnt work here n the u.s. like t.v. mode and gps.

Collapse -
how much
by Broke Down Mouse / February 1, 2011 5:50 AM PST

Do you remember how much you paid? My wife is from Japan and I could probably get a friend of hers to bring one but I wanna know if you think it's worth the time and expense. And what's a hypersim?

Collapse -
Update. Yes, Japan swapped frequencies
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2011 12:33 AM PST

And no phone that works in Japan worked anywhere else.

For example KDDI's CDMA frequency differs from those you use in the states.

This will change soon.
Bob

Collapse -
Ive traveled this entire world
by 1Travler / November 11, 2012 1:53 AM PST

I'm not a rich person, nor am I a businessman But I know how to get the American youth to buy Japanese Cell phones. Its so easy. I'm suprised that No one has don this, yet. lol. during my travels and various jobs I've learned what the worlds youth want. Ive even done a few experiments with phones. Infact I personally boosted the sales of nokia, in sanfrancisco, and Dubai. as to show that I could. lol Tech Sales its soo easy. If I like it then I will promote it. Even during the short time spent living in Tochigi I personally pushed the sales of a product that to be honest was ans is worthless unless there are multiple owners.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.