Audio & Video Software

Question

Itunes unable to locate original file

by banana100 / December 6, 2012 3:06 PM PST

Using Windows 7. I have moved my files around a bit (put itunes media file on Public Music) in an attempt to share music with another account on same computor. Despite exact following of instructions, this did not work, so I returned media file to original location. Now itunes can not locate original file when attempting to play songs. Preferences/Advanced location pointer is correct. Songs are all present in media file. I am way out of my depth here, please help!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Itunes unable to locate original file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Itunes unable to locate original file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Whose instructions did you follow when you moved
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 8:55 PM PST

the folder originally?

It is probably now that you will have to point iTunes at the correct file on the first occasion of you playing a track.

Once iTunes knows where it is, all will be well.

P

Collapse -
Now multiple copies of songs
by banana100 / December 6, 2012 9:26 PM PST

Thanks, I followed "itunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computor". I am trying to set up my daughter with her own library and account, but let her still have access to all the music and apps I have bought for her over the years.

I have played with this most of the day and now am passed my last problem. I had the library backed up on my old computor, so deleted all the music and used home share to copy songs across. However I ended up with multiple copies of most of my songs!! They all play well, so the file prob is fixed, but heaps of copies. When i delete songs from library, icloud keeps a copy in there which then doubles up when shared from other computor.

Sorry to jump from one prob to another: Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Don't copy to iCloud, would
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 7:29 AM PST

be one suggestion.

Does iCloud ask if it should keep a copy of the deleted track?

P

Collapse -
No, icloud does not ask any questions,
by banana100 / December 7, 2012 8:49 AM PST

just replaced deleted song with same song name and icloud icon next to title. I have discvered i can download each individual song by clicking on icloud, but very slow and some songs don't load with no explanation as to why failed.

What do you mean: 'dont copy to icloud'? Are you not a fan?

I am also worried about the rest of my library: apps and tv shows etc. I'm not sure if they are in correct file and how they will go when syncing with devices. We have most of them on all our devices (phone, pod, pad) plus in the other itunes on older computor, so I would prefer to just transfer the whole library from there to this computor (laptop which we use as main library).

Thanks for your thoughts and time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.