Audio & Video Software forum

Question

ITunes Podcasts, no longer available?

by Emerogork / May 11, 2013 9:48 PM PDT

In the past, I set up a local elderly gentleman with his favorite podcasts in ITunes. They are, or at least were, free. He became adept, and proud, to being able to work the site himself and was content. Then something "updated". When he signs into the ITunes site, it automatically uploads the podcasts but now there is no obvious way to listen to them.

I figured that since it is asking for a Sign-in that I would set him up. I enabled an e-mail address and went through all the finger calisthenics to get that account established. Then it is asking for a credit card. All this for a FREE service in ITunes? How crazy is that? Now I have to sign him up with a credit card.

Did I miss some new step here or is all this the way it is?
Quite frankly I am considering cancelling my ITunes account if I tunes is going to continue what looks like elderly abuse.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ITunes Podcasts, no longer available?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ITunes Podcasts, no longer available?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You have always had to supply Credit Card
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 11:36 PM PDT

information to create an iTunes Store account.

You could use iTunes Store Gift Cards, available at many retail establishments, to create an iTunes Store account which would do away with the need to sign up the "elderly" for a credit card.

Not all podcasts are free, that all depends on the producer of the podcast

P

Collapse -
Yep, but we are not using any pay-for podcasts.
by Emerogork / May 12, 2013 1:07 AM PDT

The podcasts have been free all along but back then they were easily accessible. Something has changed and now we just cannot find them to run. I checked into the log-in because I thought it was now necessary. It is interesting that the top bar showed that new podcasts were being downloaded so I know the service is still there and the link is still viable.

With a considerable fiddling around, I finally found them. It showed a list of videos, some of which were duplicates of what was already watched. There is some overlap here and after watching/listening to some this morning, we see that there now does not seem to be an option to delete the old ones from the account list. (Click on ad hit delete did not work.)

All I need to know is if it is a simple matter of a change from the original method, which was so easy, and whether or not there is some simple way now that an elderly person I can still use the service. Has the free stuff been relocated and now it required all these finger calisthenics in order to play them. I am suspecting that the changes were made to minimize the free aspect. (Conspiracy?)

OTOH, maybe they have simply been moved and I am just not seeing it.

Collapse -
Not sure where you are looking but I am hard pushed
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 3:20 AM PDT

to find a podcast that you have to pay for!

Launch iTunes, go to the iTunes Store, select Podcasts and there they all are.

This is the way I have always got my podcast downloads, video and audio, and have never paid for one.

P

Collapse -
To delete a podcast,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 3:25 AM PDT

right click it and choose delete
OR
select it and hit delete.

To subscribe/unsubscribe, toggle the Subscribe/Unsubscribe button

Just how old is this "elderly" person

P

Collapse -
Wondering it is a browser problem.
by Emerogork / May 12, 2013 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: To delete a podcast,

I cannot select to delete. I had already tried both Highlight/delete and right-click/delete. The only thing I can do is click on it from the list and play it. There is also no indicator that it has been played.

Jerry is 94.Once he understands a process he can hang onto it. How ever trying to figure out or master a new one takes time.

Collapse -
I guess we should now get down to specifics,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 9:16 AM PDT

what version of OS X is Jerry running?
What version of iTunes is installed?

Yep, 94 is definitely elderly.

P

Collapse -
Sorry, I guess specs are important...
by Emerogork / May 12, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

I am sure he is running Win 7 and Firefox 20.0.1v
Not sure how to check the ITunes version but it would probably be the latest automatic install.
He is reliable for updates.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.