Audio & Video Software

Question

itunes playback interference

by jkc007 / February 13, 2012 11:27 PM PST

When playing music from my itunes playlist on my laptop, about every 30 seconds or so the playback skips/distorts. It doesn't seem to be a problem with itunes as I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes. My guess is that something is running in the background on my computer and causing the distortion. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: itunes playback interference
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: itunes playback interference
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What's not stock in thise setup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 11:31 PM PST

And the old reason (recurring) was a connection to some network share that was off line.
Bob

Collapse -
not sure what you mean?
by jkc007 / February 14, 2012 12:25 PM PST

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure what you are talking about? I am not very computer savvy, could you please explain in more detail?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 1:16 AM PST

I don't know your system and had hoped asking for some details would help clarify what's different about your setup.

Collapse -
(NT) tell me what you need to know
by jkc007 / February 15, 2012 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.
Collapse -
Anything at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 3:17 AM PST

"<label class="noticeLabel">Please read before posting</label> If
you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your
system info, including operating system, model number, and any other
specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best
judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such
as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not
recommended."

Collapse -
is this enough?
by jkc007 / February 15, 2012 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Anything at all.

Sony Viao laptop
<div>model: vpccw23fx

Windows 7

Collapse -
I looked at the specs and it seems nice enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: is this enough?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127026 for example.

Given only the details so far the only cure I can offer is to restore it to the factory recovery so it will work like it was new. Then you can install just itunes and enjoy it.

When you install other things, watch out for what breaks it and then you'll know what it is.

Be sure your backups of what you can't lose are current before that.

If it still is broken, then you call Sony to arrange for repair.
Bob
Collapse -
(NT) thanks
by jkc007 / February 16, 2012 5:10 AM PST
Collapse -
more info
by jkc007 / February 15, 2012 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Anything at all.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
sony vaio laptop vpccw23fx

Collapse -
Clarification Request
iTunes Interference 2012
by julz79 / February 22, 2012 3:14 PM PST

I also have NEW interference on my iTunes music. It has just started happening in the past two weeks.....FEB 2012...I have had my account for several years with no interference. Almost every song I play has a buzz or pause with a buzzing sound. not good. I guess it is back to good old CD's or LP's ???? I love all the questions on what type of system, ? really?

Collapse -
So you have positively ruled out the suggestion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 8:50 PM PST

that the buzz & pause has anything to do with your computer and that it is all the fault of iTunes?

I know that iTunes does not do well on a Tandy and some of the early Compaqs have problems too.

However, as telling the system does not seem to be important, just blame the software and go back to CD's and LP's

P

Collapse -
sorry I didn't mean to blame iTunes...thanks
by julz79 / February 23, 2012 5:21 AM PST

sorry I didn't mean to be rude or anything...it may be the speakers...I don't think it's iTunes..they are very helpful and are working with me on out of sync video downloads so anyways..i just thought maybe someone might have a suggestion or this happened to them as well and found the fix...thanks a bunch...i was in a bad mood last night and bummed that I couldn't listen to my music without the buzzing/skipping noise..oh maybe it was my head...just kidding...thanks!
although yes, sometimes just listening to a CD on your stereo is kinda cool but I love iTunes believe me :O)

Collapse -
thanks
by jkc007 / February 23, 2012 2:07 AM PST

yeah not exactly sure what the operating system has to do with it, unfortunately it is still happening, so it has made my itunes and windows media player pretty much useless, its even happening when watching a you tube video, oh well

Collapse -
Your symptoms all point to a problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

with your computer.
Could be something you installed that does not agree with your OS or with your hardware.

Kinda makes the System information relevant, don't you think?
P

Collapse -
Sorry for being rude
by jkc007 / February 23, 2012 12:43 PM PST

I'm sure all information is relevant, but I am not really techie, so I don't understand what you are asking for or how to find the answers, What other info besides the operating system and model of laptop do you need? Should I give you a list of all the programs I have? I'm happy to give whatever info would be helpful in fixing the problem. I did a windows update and a sony action center update, and down loaded two programs (aro 2012 and system optimizer) prior to experiencing the problem. I have uninstalled both programs and still have the problem. Regarding the windows/sony updates I wouldnt know where to begin, undoing whatever they did.

I am sorry, for being rude. I honestly, don't know enough to answer the questions.

Collapse -
I was not asking for anything,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry for being rude

just responding to you statement, "yeah not exactly sure what the operating system has to do with it"

In your case, it may be easier to save all your data, which you already do with regular backups, and then re-install Windows.
That will almost certainly solve the problem.

"System Optimizers" are not generally well thought of in these forums. A lot of them are a waste of the bandwidth you used to download them.

There is a distinct possibility that one, or both, of those programs did the damage and even thugh you have uninstalled them, the damage they caused is still there.

How far back do your System Restore points go?

P

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have same problem on Dell Desktop
by julz79 / February 23, 2012 3:17 AM PST

hi i just wanted to say I have this same problem and it has just started happening in the last week. I have had no problems whatsoever with this computer and iTunes in the past 3 years of use. Every song, or almost every song sort of skips; then buzzes...I almost think my Bose speakers are going out as this happened with other speakers I had before these and had to replace them...so now that just might be the problem. Another problem is recent Van Halen videos from their new album were downloaded from iTunes when we bought the album and the videos are totally out of sync with the lips/guitar playing if you know what I mean...reported this to iTunes and they tried a re-download, same thing happened. they don't know what it is and so they refunded our money. just my two cents here as I seem to be having the same problem as the person reporting /asking the question here..thank you! have a great day
Dell desktop, windows 7 and i.e. 9.0.8

Collapse -
I have the same problem and it just started
by B-A_Stu / March 3, 2012 1:53 AM PST

Sony Vaio AR series. Windows Vista. No new software installed by me. This error has been provided by some automatic update. Itunes 10.5.3.3 installed a month before the problem started. Don't tell me to restore my system. This is a real problem created externally to my environment recently and it needs to be identified. This is from Itunes Diagnostics. I can only run iTunes once after reboot. If I exit out, I can start it again. I must go into Task Manaher and kill iTunes.exe to get it to start again.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Sony Corporation VGN-AR730E
iTunes 10.5.3.3
QuickTime 7.7.1
FairPlay 1.13.37
Apple Application Support 2.1.6
iPod Updater Library 10.0d2
CD Driver 2.2.2.0
CD Driver DLL 2.1.3.0
Apple Mobile Device 4.0.0.97
Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.46.0.0
Bonjour 3.0.0.10 (333.10)
Gracenote SDK 1.9.5.502
Gracenote MusicID 1.9.5.115
Gracenote Submit 1.9.5.143
Gracenote DSP 1.9.5.45

iTunes Serial Number 0021ABE40CA94980

Current user is not an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2012-03-03 12:50:53.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.
WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.
HDCP is not supported.
Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

NVIDIA, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

iPodService 10.5.3.3 is currently running.
iTunesHelper is currently not running.
Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

Collapse -
There is so much more to be shared.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 4:28 AM PST

To solve such things I have done things such as you read at http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-510824.html

We had to look at log files and uninstall this and that to figure it out.

--> I hear folk loud and clear they don't want to restore the system but then folk balk at doing the work or learning about this PC stuff.

Maybe it's time to junk the PC and move on?
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not going to "junk the pc"
by B-A_Stu / March 3, 2012 7:38 AM PST

Yes you have made your point that you are a smart guy, but I don't appreciate your condenscension. We come here to share information and support each other.

My Sony Vaio multimedia laptop is an awesome streaming and playback video and audio device that works flawlessly with my Amazon Prime membership, audible.com audio player and when I click on any of my itunes music or video podcast files through explorer and play them back with quicktime, there is no problem. I have another, newer computer with an HDMI port but it does not provide the graphics quality and excellence that this older (2008) laptop does.

I've just looked at this thread you recommend and it does not offer practical advice for debugging this issue between iTunes (only) and some new item that is interfering with iTunes on my Vista OS computer. I have uninstalled itunes and reinstalled itunes, I uninstalled Silverlight, I have been researching this issue all day, and have tried a number of suggestions found in other forums.

Three users have reported this recent issue here - so far, and there as yet has not appeared to be a resolution found. I am not here to see the pat answer of "Just scrap it and Start Over".

Please, someone else, let us know how if you continue to struggle with iTunes or if you have found an answer.

Thanks

I

Collapse -
I have found many answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 7:51 AM PST

Sorry to have upset you. I'm not smart enough to tackle this issue with such slim details.

As you can see we have to open the logs, run this or that and see what's up.

My question is still, given the state of support of your common PC, and how folk DEMAND that this be fixed without reloading the OS, what do you think should be done?

I'll work with folk that will share the details but to give only the above, we are left to start over.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
FIXED
by B-A_Stu / March 4, 2012 12:55 PM PST

Can anyone confirm this: Allowing Adobe Flash 11.1 to install itself seems to have made the itunes playback problem disappear. There was no clue in the event logs. Thinking back to when this started, I think it does coincide with the first time I selected "remind me later" in the Adobe Flash updater.

Collapse -
thx
by jkc007 / March 5, 2012 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: FIXED

thanks a ton, will try it

Collapse -
I'll try that the next time it shows up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 1:21 AM PST

You could look to see if some update.exe is running next time. Keep in mind there is more than one cause for this. Some get upset about this.
Bob

Collapse -
perhaps you could have made that suggestion prior to
by B-A_Stu / March 6, 2012 3:47 PM PST

"restore to factory settings" or "junk the pc" .

Collapse -
To offer this, you have to reveal what's running.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 11:34 PM PST

There are thousands of apps that can do this. As you see above I asked for details and none were given.

My point was not to junk the PC but maybe the days of the PC are numbered since fewer and fewer owners want to look at what's running, share that with those that can help.

Restore to factory settings is a valid fix for those that can't share what's running or installed.
Bob

Collapse -
and also stop APSDaemon.exe
by B-A_Stu / March 6, 2012 3:40 PM PST

This is the other thing I found in my research. If you see this process running when looking at task manager (right-click on the windows bar->task manager->Processes tab), you need to stop it now and stop it from starting back up. One good way to stop it is to rename the application file: go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support and rename the file somehow (like rename it to APSDaemon_original.exe)

I tried this first and my problem remained. Then I discovered the Adobe Flash updater installation fixed the issue. Then I went back and renamed APSDaemon_original.exe back the correct name. Then I noticed that iTunes playback still worked correctly but now iTunes would not exit out and start back up, which was another symptom I had along with the interference issue. So I manually killed APSDaemon.exe in task manager, renamed it back so it wouldn't ever start again, went into MSCONFIG (start-> type in msconfig in the start box) and unchecked the "Apple Push" box on the startup tab.

To read more about APSDaemen.exe,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3547631?start=0&tstart=0

Collapse -
You need to know this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 11:37 PM PST

There are some thousand apps that can do this. If you move forward looking for them all, you will learn why folk ask for things like the hijackthis log or why a restore to factory is often the only way out. Many owners are just that. They are not given to troubleshooting.

For example read http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-510824.html for where we popped the hood, looked at log files and found the conflicts.

Today's owners are growing impatient and do not want to do this. They only want the answer Your replies are typical of what I'm seeing today and why I think the PC's days are numbered.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
itunes playback interference
by clutch_plate / November 12, 2012 6:16 AM PST

Did you ever get this resolved? This has just started happening to me - very irritating

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.