PC Applications forum

General discussion

itunes error 4261 when trying to burn disc

by sherbet / February 4, 2005 7:30 AM PST

hi, i really hope someone out there can help, as this is sending me loopy!i have contacted itunes 5 times, they didnt reply the first 4 times, they replied last night, but ignored my question, which was...
when i try to burn a cd i get the following error code...4261, please tell me what that means, and how to fix it.
they gave me a bog standard reply instead, even though id told them id tried everything suggested on the itunes site.
i now have loads of songs that i cant listen to as they are on my dads pooter, as i only have windows 98.
soooo, im using the latest edition of itunes, windows xp, the cdrw works fine with other programs, erm and everything else is ok, well as far as i can tell.

please can someone help me, thanks alot! sherbet.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: itunes error 4261 when trying to burn disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: itunes error 4261 when trying to burn disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
burn speed
by cubswin / February 16, 2005 6:14 AM PST

I had the same problem. What I did to correct it was slowing down the burn speed. Try going to preferences,click the cd burning tab. Choose 2x. This should work for you. Also make sure your drive is listed.

Collapse -
thanks, but...
by sherbet / February 17, 2005 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: burn speed

hi there, thanks alot for your reply.i was v excited when i read it,then i tried it, talk about suspense! ggggrrrr!it didnt work, and frankly im getting a lil paranoid about the whole itunes is out to get me thing!its weird, the drive is listed, so there shouldnt be a prob, but live and learn, i shouldve stuck to vinyl, not this new fangled technology rubbish!
thanks anyway, sherbet.

Collapse -
How does it work?
by Izzy123450 / November 25, 2007 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: burn speed

I wanted to burn a CD but it was on the first song and it totally stopped and said: there was a failure in burning the disc. There was an unknown error 4261.
What happened? What is unknown error 4261?

Collapse -
I think I got the problem
by Izzy123450 / November 25, 2007 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: How does it work?

I tried switching the CDs, and guess what, it worked! The CD that had the error was used. If it is a CD-RW (Rw means rewritable) you could try erasing what's on that CD and putting new stuff on it, but it's more likely to work if you put in a blank one. I don't know what 4261 means, but I do know how to fix it!

Collapse -
error 4261
by starchild1031 / April 30, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

I have the same problem. Tried changing burn speed and have gone through 10 CD's trying to fix the problem, so changing the CD has not fixed the problem. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
(NT) Have you tried a new CD drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: error 4261
Collapse -
error 4261 ITunes
by kevenj / January 21, 2008 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: How does it work?

To solve this error I downloaded the firmware for Windows and Intel chipset and driver updates, etc
but I think all I had to do was change the burner speed to 12x Try that.

Collapse -
what exactly you downloaded?
by shinigami78886 / March 2, 2008 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: error 4261 ITunes

you said you downloaded some programs/updates, specifically, what were those?

Collapse -
itunes 4261
by kevenj / March 23, 2008 6:46 AM PDT

You have to go to the Windows download center and look for updates to your audio driver and Intel chipset and firmware and just download all the updates for your computer. What I think is the problem though is finding the right CD and burning speed for your system. It's worked for me using Memorex and 2x speed and just try different burn speeds. Sorry I don't have the exact downloads, but go to Windows.com and downloads. Good luck.

Collapse -
iTunes problems
by grandpaw7 / February 17, 2005 2:41 AM PST

Hi Sherbet. Hopefully, you have solved your iTunes problem. But if not, I'll share these thoughts with you.

The problem I am having is that when I go to burn a playlist to a CD only part of the list gets burned and then it shuts down. The error message I get is 4251, which I think means "hell, we don't know either". I tried burning at low speed, 8, but that didn't help.

I think it is difficult to get help with iTunes on a general forum such as this. What I have done is to go to the iTunes discussion forums. I am now in touch with one of the volunteers on that forum who is trying to help me with the above problem. You may want to consider taking your problem to the forum, and perhaps doing some searching there to see if your problem has already been brought up.

If so, and if you don't know how to get to the discussion forums, there are a number of different ways of getting there, but I think the fastest way is to go to http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@290.bayxaY13QuY.0@.68a50588 .
That should give you a page entitled ?Apple Discussions? with a list of seven discussions you can go to. I posted my problem in ?Importing and Burning?. Well, actually in both that and ?Using iTunes?, but it is being dealt with in the first one.

(I am assuming that you use Windows. If not, you can go to http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@290.bayxaY13QuY.0@itunes where you can choose your operating system.)

To post, you will need to register and log on. As usual, I have some trouble navigating the discussion site but it is probably easy for people with brains. In case you want to follow what advice I receive, you should be able to search for the name grandpaw7 and get my posts. I have a few of them but you should be able to find the one where I am getting help from a tech named toonz. Toonz had me download something to do with a chipset but that didn't solve the problem. I am now waiting for Toonz to give me the next step. Meantime, I'm looking for a market for these several CDs I have with only a few songs on them.

If you choose to go this route and have problems, feel free to see if I can help with them. Not with technical iTunes problems but with problems about using the forums.

(Another way to get to the forums is from what I guess is the main iTunes page, the one I get when I click on the iTunes icon on my desktop, and one which you can access offline. You need to be online, however, to click on Help; on the resulting dropdown menu you click on Provide Feedback. On the resulting Support page, you click on Support at the top. On the resulting page, you click on Discussions at the top. That should get you the Apple Discussions page, where you will want to click on iTunes on the right, a little ways down.)

I'm assuming that you will get the same results I did in doing the above, but of course the computers like to throw a hitch in the best laid plans.

grandpaw

Collapse -
yaaaaay!
by sherbet / February 18, 2005 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: iTunes problems

hi, thanks for your reply, you are a star, for some unknown reason, i didnt even know about the itunes forum,how dumb am i?!anyway,im now off to join it, thanks alot, and im filled with hope! hopefully both our troubles will be sorted, well troubles concerning itunes atleast!
thanks again, sherbet.

Collapse -
er, me again!!
by sherbet / February 18, 2005 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: iTunes problems
Collapse -
by bigblake405 / November 4, 2006 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: er, me again!!

I cnheck the link you had and after an hour of reading I am no closer to solving my problem. Can you tell me how you resolved the error 4261. I can't burn a CD from Itunes since I upgraded to the latest version.

Collapse -
The infamous error 4261
by nelsono1 / September 15, 2007 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: er, me again!!

I've had this problem for 3 weeks. I'm not that knowledgable at manuvering through this forum but it appears that you actually received resolution . PLEASE tell me the technical steps you took to fix, thanks. I am using windows XP, I have a Dell Optiplex GX620.

Collapse -
re:itunes error 4261 when trying to burn disc
by sirjames / February 17, 2005 8:57 PM PST

First you need to mention what type of hardware(mp3 player) and firmware you are using. If you are attempting to burn a file that has DRM from iTunes and you have exceeded your allowed attempts or you are accessing said files from a different PC than it is registered then again major problems. Hope that this helps.

Collapse -
thanks...
by sherbet / February 18, 2005 1:55 AM PST

hi, thanks for your reply! i dont have a portable mp3 player, but im not sure if thats what you meant,im a tad on the slow side today! the cdrw im using is a
HL-DT-ST CDRW GCE 8240B, if that helps!ive searched to see if there is a known incompatibilty with itunes, but havent come across anything, well not yet! im using the pc that purchased the tracks, and i havent gone over my 7 attempts yet, but i nearly have!
thanks again for your help, sherbet.

Collapse -
so what was the problem??
by vtjim / September 14, 2005 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks...

I am having the same problem you were. How did you fix it?

Collapse -
Error
by emeraldjewel1 / September 19, 2006 2:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
4251 cd error for itunes
by kr3w235 / September 10, 2007 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Error

yeah im having the exact same problem i dont think i have a firewall it put in a blank cd and it scans the songs and right when its about to burn it cancels it and i get a message sayin it is unable to burn due to error 4251 which i have no idea what it is and ive tried switchin speeds so can anyone help me

Collapse -
THANKS!
by cecetay1 / October 23, 2010 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Error

This solution worked perfectly for me!

Thanks so much!

Cecelia

Collapse -
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND NOBODY WILL HELP!
by emeraldjewel1 / September 16, 2006 3:46 AM PDT

THIS IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING EVER! ITUNES WORKED FOR MONTHS WITH NO PROBLEMS. THEN I UPDATED TO THE LATEST VERSION AND GOT AN IPOD PRETTY MUCH AT THE SAME TIME. AFTER THAT IT WILL NOT WORK! I HAVE TRIED SLOWING DOWN THE SPEED AND CHANGING THE SETTINGS! NOTHING WILL WORK! WHEN I CONTACTED ITUNES THEY PUT IT ON MY COMPUTER AND WHEN I CONTACTED THE COMPUTER HELP THEY PUT IT ON ITUNES. I AM COMPLETLY FAUSTRATED AND JUST WANT TO GO CRAZY. I FEEL LIKE NEITHER EVEN CARED THAT I AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM! EXSPECIALLY ITURNES THEY ARE THE WORSE AND I HAVE DECIEDED TO NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. IF YOU FIGURE OUT PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE I NEED TO BE ABLE TO BURN CD!!! ONE OF THE MAIN REASON I EVEN HAVE A COMPUTER! THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME BE VERY VERY UPSET! TAKE CARE, JEWEL!

Collapse -
Maybe it's the all capital letters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

That's not a good start and many will never reply to a SCREAMING post. All capital letters is YELLING and the monolithic paragraph doesn't help either.

You may have told but your post was so painful to read that I can only note you should try another CD recorder.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob!
by emeraldjewel1 / September 16, 2006 4:33 AM PDT

This is a very annoying issue and I hoped that people would understand. Maybe you could have been understanding. I have been trying to fix this issue for months now and I cant seem to get help from anyone. I dont mean to sound like im yelling just letting people know how faustrated I am. It's probably just best not to say anything if you cant help. so next time keep your thoughts to yourself.

Collapse -
You may not find others to be helpful when you scream.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob!

I had hoped by telling you point blank why no one was helping you (you wrote that) you could alter your posts to be more inviting.

However your reply is even less inviting and again I ask you to think over your stance. I'd love to see you fix this one but you've made it clear you don't want to participate in a dialogue.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
after countless hours!
by emeraldjewel1 / September 19, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

After talking to every customer support dept there is without any help I finally figured out the problem on my own. Anyway, the solution to the problem is turning off any Anti Virus or spy sweeper that may be running on your computer.
I hope anyone who has the same problem with read this and I save them from the pain.

also, check out this link if you still have problems

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03september16.mspx

Take Care,

Jewel

Collapse -
Can't burn CD iTunes error code 4261
by karlhevera-21996856987315843612797231235477 / October 14, 2007 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: after countless hours!

Friends, you will not believe how many people have been battling with this problem. There are scores or posts on Apple forum. There have been some suggestions. Some have worked for some, but so far nothing for me. I have even deleted the latest iTunes, making sure to save the library file. I downloaded ver 7.2.1.1, but the same problem, as ever. The media is checked, the playlist is checked and the burn begins. Than few seconds into the burn, the now very famous 4261 error message pops up. I have tried different makes of Cd-R and varying speeds.. No joy so far... is anyone here more up to date with this problem. I can use my WMP without any problem. So, I assume, as many others do, that the problem is with iTunes... As I am at the end of my wits and a pile of used up discs, any help, please?

Collapse -
It appears to be an issue with no clear cure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

For instance if you read the answers you find no clear cause. Also you find most don't share the machine details but find WMP works, iTunes doesn't and those usually won't try another make CDRW recorder. For those I try new firmware in the recorder and often demo how another recorder fixed it. Fixing iTunes to work with their recorder is "never going to happen."

Bob

Collapse -
Can't burn CDs

R. Proffitt: The problem has appeared since latest version of iTunes. Many users here and other site, including iTunes/Apple have the same problem. Although they were able to burn playlists on different burners, which are listed in the iTunes Preferences/burning section, they can't do it now. You have seen what problems users are having. Is it not time for Apple/iTunes to notice the number of posts on this subject and do something about it... Particularly, as it all worked very nicely indeed, until recent upgrades... and bearing in mind that they are serving people who have paid for their music, rather than stole it from elsewhere?

Collapse -
So Apple needs to make it work...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't burn CDs

Regardless of make and model CDRW? Sorry I couldn't pick out your question out of your other points.

For me I've found my path to a cure and explained why some won't do it.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't burn Cds

Fixing iTunes to work with their recorder is "never going to happen."

That is not the point. In the Preferences/Advanced/Burning option, there is a list of burners. If the name of the owner's burner appears there, iTunes therefore supports the burner. Or at least it should... With all the latest versions it obviously does not. Particularly, as the error appears with other makes of burners. It would seem that something happened here? Users have tried all sorts of fixes, few worked, majority did not. What is surprising though is that some users downloaded and installed earlier version of iTunes, say 7.2.1 and it worked. Other did not. I do agree with you that there is not a 'quick fix' or a 'fix all'.. But Apple/iTunes should acknowledge users' concerns. After all, there is no way we can get in touch with Apple direct in the UK, only through their Forum. And they have not replied to any of us...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET's Oh, Snap! Sweepstakes

Enter for a chance to win* a 360-degree camera

Do you Snapchat? We want you to snap for this sweepstakes and give you the chance to get your hands on the Theta S so you can make your very own 360-degree videos.