Audio & Video Software forum

Question

iTunes deleted all of my songs that were not purchased! HELP

by gabriellaa999 / August 30, 2011 2:31 AM PDT

Please help! I download all of my music from other websites, and not iTunes. Recently I opened iTunes up and everything was deleted! I'm afraid to plug my iPod into iTunes, because I don't want my music being erased thats on my iPod... PLEASE HELPP! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DOO!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes deleted all of my songs that were not purchased! HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes deleted all of my songs that were not purchased! HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
where did you put the music that you downloaded,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 6:48 AM PDT

what version of iTunes are you using?
what Operating System does your computer us.

You are right to not connect your iPod just yet as it will remove all the tracks from it if iTunes is empty.

P

Collapse -
windows 7
by gabriellaa999 / August 30, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

I use Windows 7, and my iTunes is the newest version. Someone told me that somehow I could transfer the songs from my iPod touch to my iTunes account

Collapse -
Yes you can,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: windows 7

with a program called iRip.

Collapse -
what is iRip?
by gabriellaa999 / August 31, 2011 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes you can,

I have all of my music saved on multiple folders on my computer, I'm not sure if they are even there anymore.
& yeah, I uploaded all of my music onto my iTunes account

Collapse -
If you have all the music save on multiple folders
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 31, 2011 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: what is iRip?

on your computer,
then all your music is still available.

Collapse -
Answer
iTunes deleted even music I bought through them!
by wvnyfm / March 24, 2013 11:44 AM PDT

This is the 5th time this has happened! Seems it's random and happens as I'm copying music that I've gotten either through friends who give me music from their paid for CDs or MP3s as well as music I've downloaded from web sites. Unfortunately I use iTunes to move music from my PC to the iPod and while I'm happily adding music, iTunes is TAKING music! I recently bought an iPad, recommended by a trusted friend and I just returned it vowing to NEVER touch another Apple product again. The 1st few times iTunes took music I got some patronising emails and only once did they let me reload music purchased directly from them. That did me no good for the rest of the music. But they told me that it was a once in a lifetime thing that they'd let me reload purchases. So now I don't have music I PAID FOR and Apple/iTunes doesn't care. Theft. Plain and simple. I guess they rely on us to be stupid to make their money.

Collapse -
Answer
ITunes just took over 40 gigs of my music
by Neonblack69 / February 7, 2015 4:47 PM PST

I tunes just wiped over 40 Gigs of my music from my computer and my remote hard drive.
All that is left are the folders with the band names and then folders in each of those with the album name. A large amount of these i had copied from my CD collection over the last few years in my spare time. My friend just mentioned its over 60 gigs!

I would like any input on saving my tunes because normally you can recover deleted files, multiple ways. Those ways arent working. Also one folder of a song i Bought from itunes, has no song in it but shows that it takes up more memmory. I right clicked in the folder and it says the purchase time of this song has expired?!?!?!

I actually know something much more about this. I hope it isnt true and was just drunk talk by upper apple execs but if its true...........

Collapse -
Re: music disappeared
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 7, 2015 6:18 PM PST

That's why most people make a backup of everything they don't want to lose. As we say here "you only lose what you don't backup". And alas, this is another case that proves it.

With a 2 TB disk being $50, the cost of storing an extra copy of 60 GB is $3 exactly. Do you mean to say it's worth less than $3 to you? Then, indeed, making a backup is a waste of time and money.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.