Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Itunes damaged my songs library

by bugi31 / April 26, 2012 8:17 PM PDT

I have a regular PC, WinXP without any Apple products.

I installed iTunes - mostly to prepare playlist before burning, keeping the order of the songs the way I want.

In the Itunes, I opened a library.

Now... all the songs in my computer were in a certain directory with several sub-directories.

Some of my songs are in English, and some in Greek, with Greek fonts, and I have to emphasize that most programs do not work or recognize songs names with Greek fonts.

I defined where I want the iTunes Library - not in the usual place, but in drive D.

Now, I went to iTunes > FILE > Add file to library
What happened was a huge abnormal mess.

I thought that the program generates play-lists without moving the files from their place but I was wrong.

The software created a directory called MUSIC and moved there only part of my songs.

Now I am with songs divided between my original library and the Music Library, almost without any chance to recognize them.

In the Music Library, It created dozens of sub-directories, some by topic (as was in the original library) and dozens of sub-directories under the names of the singers.

Suppose I had directories named songs of the sixties, seventies, classical, jazz and so on.

Now I have dozens of sub-directories defined by singers, each with a single song.

Some other sub-directories remained with the subject's name (such as the "seventies").

I could not recognize any rules for the transfer.

Greek songs names got a fatal damage. Some of them remained unchanged, but most of them were changed into junk Hebrew fonts (as I am writing Hebrew) or question marks.

In short ... Is there a way to undo it?

I suppose that if I try to uninstall the Itunes, I will remain with the Music Library as it is now.

Thanks to the respondents.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Itunes damaged my songs library
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Itunes damaged my songs library
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: damaged songs library
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 8:35 PM PDT

I can't comment on why iTunes did what it did. All I know is that it didn't happen with me when I imported the mp3's i my Music folder into it. Maybe it's a setting for the import (I didn't check, however, if such a setting exists).

The best thing you can do is to restore that "certain directory" from your backup. Then everything will be as it was and you can delete the MUSIC library created by iTunes.

As should be well known, not having a backup of data implies the owner doesn't mind to lose them. The only 2 good reasons for that are:
- it's less work to create them again then to make a backup (or less money than buying a external disk for the backup copy)
- they are absolutely worthless for you, you'll never need them again
Alas, we find that some of our members learn this too late.

Kees

Collapse -
Apple has made irreversible changes on my computer
by bugi31 / April 27, 2012 1:51 AM PDT

Hi Kees,

Thanks for your response, but I do not agree with you.

The fact is that Apple has made irreversible changes on my computer, without warning me what is going to happen and I should make a backup. Apple is a huge company with millions of users and must demonstrate responsibility in her actions.

ITunes is not the first software I install, and there is almost no case caused me such major changes.

Also the damage to the file names with Greek fonts is too serious error.

Apple had to detect fonts that she does not recognize, and not to leave me with a large number of songs, which now I can't identify them.

Thank you again

Collapse -
Re: irreversable changes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 27, 2012 3:42 AM PDT
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1347 describes what the "Add to library" should do. It certainly shouldn't move or damage your music files. All it does it adding an entry about it to its own internal library.

If it did otherwise in your case, something is wrong. That shouldn't have happened. It's a mystery. All you can do: complain with Apple. And recover as well as you can.

Making a backup is always necessary. There's no special need for Apple to warn you about it, especially not if their software isn't supposed to change anything to your files.
Sorry to read you didn't.

Kees
Collapse -
Thanks Kees.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2012 9:08 AM PDT

I could not have written this any better. If folk don't think backup is important enough then they usually learn after events like this.

Then again some will write it's up to Apple to never do anything wrong.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for showing me the right way
by bugi31 / April 28, 2012 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Kees.

Your response insulting. I tell you about a problem in the software, and it seems you can't understand what happened, and instead you attack me, showing me as irresponsible and give me a sense that you tell me "you deserve".

You want to teach me about backups? I am an industrial and management engineer, tens of years, and risk management is part of my business.

You believe you should backup every second? Every minute? Every week? You must be joking. To backup before any action? Which one? If I want to burn a song, or to copy a file to a directory, does that justify an early backup? Or perhaps only in the case of installing new software?

Backup requires investment and is similar to an insurance policy. You invest now to be protected during a disaster. So how much to invest in insurance? Do you want to cover every broken jar of mustard at your home? By the same way of thinking, how much time, effort and money to invest in backups?

For your knowledge, all data that was lost to me by the iTunes can be restored. You decided it is not? Based on what? Is that because I wanted to save time and effort and to know if it can be done easily? Is it because I tried to understand why iTunes, which I never used before and I am not familiar with audio softwares, reacted in such a way?

Pity you are not focused on a technical answers to the problem presented to you by a naive user. You even do not know if it is my computer or my younger son who asked for my help.

And about iTunes, Never again. iTunes has proven to me well that it can't handle with Greek and Hebrew fonts, that you can lose the brakes when you turn on the lights, and you better backup all your data before touching iTunes.

Collapse -
Then what to do next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2012 7:23 AM PDT

If you didn't backup and Apple does not offer support, then what next?

I have seen and heard this all before. Backup is cheap compared to the alternatives. Right there, I have to write your risk management is in need of some update.

Sorry to have upset you but for now, let's get your backup working so you are ready.
Bob

Collapse -
Possible restore?
by sofiekp / May 17, 2012 1:33 AM PDT

I'm not a computer whiz... but could you not restore your computer to a point before you installed itunes? that would then re-set your computer (and music) back to the way it was originally.

Obviously any new files or documents that you have created or downloaded since installing itunes should be copied (possibly by emailing them to youself??)

Collapse -
system restore
by sofiekp / May 17, 2012 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible restore?

(from the help section on my computer - windows 7)

Create a restore point

A restore point is a representation of a stored state of your computer's system files. You can use a restore point to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. Restore points are automatically created by System Restore weekly and when System Restore detects the beginning of a change to your computer, such as when you install a program or a driver.

System image backups stored on hard disks can also be used for System Restore, just like the restore points created by system protection. Even though system image backups contain both your system files and personal data, your data files will not be affected by System Restore. For more information about system images, see What is a system image?

Collapse -
System Restore is only for the System
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: system restore

note the line that says, "your data files will not be affected by System Restore"

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.